Ext hard drive not being recognised
Hi,

The hard drive is NTFS formatted and has many MKV movies on it, transferred from another drive and these are indeed showing when the drive is connected to my Windows PC.

My RPi2 is running Kodi 14.2 and I am connecting the drive via USB , I have used Leopold's add on to increase the USB power to 1.2 and other USB drives are working fine with it.

I know that to add files to the Library from the ext HDD, the folder path needs to be specified. But when I go to browse the path, I go to Root File system , select "media" and that's where my other USB drives are normally located when connected but I do not see this one there , the other drive lists all the movies under Media, with this drive , nothing is listed at all.

I thought I would ask on here in case there is something I am missing or forgetting to do, any help most appreciated.
Do you have SSH access to the system, so we can investigate better?
What is the OS underlying Kodi - did you hand install Kodi over Raspbian?

If you can
Code:
lsusb
will show whether the HDD is detected
Code:
mount
will show what is mounted, and where
Code:
fdisk -l
will show partition table entries.

I suspect you either haven't got ntfs support, or it isn't set to automount such filesystems
Derek
Thanks , it is OpenElec.

Sorry , can you please explain exactly how I code eg. " lsusb " ?
The code excerpts are commands you type into the command line once you've logged into your Pi / Pi 2 via SSH from another PC. SSH is a way of remotely logging into a computer over the network to give you command line access.

Details for OpenElec here - but likely to be similar for other distros (though the login and passwords will differ) : http://wiki.openelec.tv/index.php/OpenEL...use_SSH.3F
Hi,

I managed to find the hard drive under root file , then media. Don't know why it was never there before. I managed to add movies to the library.

However while browsing the library , it suddenly popped up a message something like "Volume successfully removed " when I did no such thing.

The green LED light on the hard drive was still lit. So I manually unplugged the USB drive to try plugging it in again.

Suddenly the screen went black ... Then this message:

"***Error in check_disks: could not repair filesystem, dropping to debug shell , try to run "fsck" manually: ***
### Starting debugging shell ... Type exit to quit ###
Sh: can't access try; job control turned off
# _"

This sounds very bad. I unplugged the power and then reconnected but it's the same message.

Is my RPi2 bricked ? This is a brand new one.
I typed "fsck" and it then says

fsck from util-linux 2.25.2

I then type "exit" and it says system reboots,

Then it just shows the original error message as above.

Can anyone kindly help with this please ?
Your sd card is corrupted. Most likely the pi crashed while it was doing a write operation to the card.
You can possibly repair it if you have access to another linux machine - personally I'd just start again. Install openelec to the sd card, configure it as you want, then make an image (with win32diskimager, usbit or similar). If it happens again you can write your image back to the card and be back up and running in 10 minutes.
If it only happens when your hard drive's plugged in then look at the power supply, or run the drive from a powered hub.
Thank you Troggy. I wondered if the USB drive had malfunctioned and corrupted the Pi hardware , but I hope you are right. I have another Pi running OpenElec and could just try swapping that SD card into the problem Pi.

The USB drive is powered by the Pi using the 1.2a power.

I only have a Windows 7 PC, so can I format the SD card in Linux with it and re-install OpenElec onto the SD card ?
Come to think of it , I could use Win32diskimager to copy the good SD card OpenElec , as you suggested , could I ?
Windows instructions.
Edit: Yep, you can do that. When you stick the card in and boot up just change the system name in openelec settings (so they're not both the same).
Hi ,

I opened 7zip file manager , I selected Open Inside and it's showing folders from my Windows hard drive.

Am I meant to extract the OpenElec download using 7zip ? If so , exactly how do I do that please ?
I have extracted OpeneElec download using 7zip.

It seems to have created an OpenElec disk image file , which is inside a folder in the Downloads folder.

I have run Win32diskimager , but it can't seem to see the OpenElec disk image file in Downloads.

Even copying the image file to the desktop , it still can't see the Openelc image file. Any further help please , thanks.
... Or maybe you could take me through how to copy the non-corrupted SD card using Win32diskimager and how to copy that to the corrupted SD card please ?
I thought you were imaging your other card, no?

If you're doing a fresh install then you download an openelec.img.gz file (eg OpenELEC-RPi.arm-5.95.4.img.gz)
Stick it in a new folder, right click with 7 zip and choose 'extract here' and you'll get an openelec.img file. That's what you write to the card.
Fire up win32diskimager, choose your card to write to, navigate to the openelec .img file and select it then choose 'write'.

If you're copying a card then it's the reverse - choose the sd card you want to copy, choose where you want to save the .img file (ie the copy) and use 'read'... and then obviously write to a new card as above.
That's from memory, I don't have diskimager installed at the moment, but you can't really go wrong - you get a warning before you overwrite a card / usb stick.
I was worried I might accidentally mess up the good SD card so I thought I would write a new image to the corrupted SD card.

I managed to write the downloaded OpenElec image to the corrupted SD card, (I finally found the image file after browsing directly through the C drive rather than the Desktop).

When I now browse the SD card in Windows it says it is formatted in FAT system , just like my non-corrupted SD card . The non-corrupted SD card used space is 105MB. The new written image on the Previously corrupted SD card however is 145MB used space, it shows as Removable Disk G, whereas the non-corrupted one shows as System G with an Overlays folder.

I think I have probably gone wrong somewhere as they seem to be structured completely differently. Also when I put this SD card into the Pi it will not even power up , but it still powers up with the non-corrupted SD card.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Ext hard drive not being recognised0