Win Random stutter for an instant in Kodi
With only %20 RAM and %5 CPU usage, while watching offline videos as well as streaming videos in Kodi Isengard, I experience random and very brief stutter.
It sounds like a machine gun or trumpet (this is the only way to describe it) like a short burst of sound getting stuck then it resumes the video with delayed audio then it re-syncs itself after about 2 seconds or so.

What could be the reason for this?
We dont know as you missed to post a Debug Log and our christalballs are atill on shipping from china. Wink
(2015-10-03, 22:51)David1977 Wrote: We dont know as you missed to post a Debug Log and our christalballs are atill on shipping from china. Wink

Sorry, I thought there could be things I can try, but I'll do the log right away tonight since I'll watch a few things and hopefully stutter will be caught by the log.
Hi,
Here is the log, the stutter happened somewhere after this line, basically I stopped the video playback right after the stutter occurred, then uploaded so it must have been within 1 minute of this upload. (just before)

http://xbmclogs.com/pndvfr918#line-10595

Thanks in advance for your help.
Seems you have a lot of problems Wink

First of all I would remove those repos like superrepo and eldorado and so on. I would remove any repo except the one Kodi was shipped with and then re-test if that changes anything.

I'm not very familiar with kodi on windows, but I don't see any streamdetails for any file you played. So we cant know, what's inside those containers you played (mp4 and flv are containers, anything could be in there)

This confuses me a bit:

Quote:21:02:10 T:3936 DEBUG: ffmpeg[F60]: [h264] data partitioning is not implemented. Update your FFmpeg version to the newest one from Git. If the problem still occurs, it means that your file has a feature which has not been implemented.
21:02:10 T:3936 DEBUG: ffmpeg[F60]: [h264] If you want to help, upload a sample of this file to ftp://upload.ffmpeg.org/incoming/ and contact the ffmpeg-devel mailing list. ([email protected])

Not sure if it is related to your issue
Thanks David, I enabled few of the log options, would it help if I enable more of them? I can check my ffmpeg version to see if I can upgrade it somehow, I thought it was built into Kodi.

I had exact same repos in an older computer, so even though I don't use much of those anymore (so removing them is not an issue) they did not cause this problem in the older computer at all. I played the exact same mp4 and flv files in the old computer and I never had this issue, and this is a much more powerful computer.

One main difference between the old one and new one, external hard drive is running through docking station and now I am using Displayport to HDMI sending sound & video directly to my TV monitor. In the past I used VGA + 3.5mm jack. Could the issue be related to HDMI somehow? The stutter is very brief, but extremely annoying, I wish I could record it. It sounds like running your finger on a comb really fast for about 1.5 second.

I will also be testing another video by moving it to internal hard drive and then playing it back to see if it runs better, thus I can relate the issue to the external hard drive, maybe I can run some tests on it, or see if USB connection has any issue..
yes...try it with a local file and not from a USB drive
I noticed it does that on streaming files too, not as frequently but it still does.
Could it be HDMI issue? Will try VGA and report back.
Hi - looked at the first 1000 lines or so of your log an here are a few things you can try to solve your problem(s):

- Check your timezone settings.
- Your WASAPI config (sound) is suspicious, make sure you've followed the instructions in http://kodi.wiki/view/Windows_audio, you need to remove your DirectSound config (WASAPI needs to run in Exclusive mode in Windows for improved performance and functionality ... and to avoid the sort of issues you are experiencing Wink )
- You don't seem to have a full-screen video mode for 1920x1080 @50 Hz? May be an issue if you have 'Adjust Display Refresh Rate' and trying to watch 50FPS video. If your TV only does 60 Hz refresh (?) then make sure you disable 'Adjust Display Refresh Rate' (so the refresh rate is static at 60Hz for all video material ... which is fine) ... or add a 1920x1080 @ 50Hz video mode.

Try fix the above first ... then run another log if you still have sound issues Wink
(2015-10-07, 08:13)LeKodeur Wrote: - Check your timezone settings. In Kodi or Windows?
---(Windows has correct time zone, is there a separate setting for Kodi? I am running windows, I don't think Kodi for Windows has this option)

- Your WASAPI config (sound) is suspicious, make sure you've followed the instructions in http://kodi.wiki/view/Windows_audio, you need to remove your DirectSound config (WASAPI needs to run in Exclusive mode in Windows for improved performance and functionality ... and to avoid the sort of issues you are experiencing Wink )
---(Driver provided by Intel Corporation, Number of Channels: 2, Dolby Digital, 32, 44.1 and 48kHz,m with 16, 20, 24 bit depths, Exclusive mode is checked in box boxes. Selected 16 bit, 48000Hz (DVD Quality). In Audio Output Device in Kodi, Do I switch from Directsound: Default to Wasapi: HDMI-Sony TV (Intel Display Audio) WAS...?

- You don't seem to have a full-screen video mode for 1920x1080 @50 Hz? May be an issue if you have 'Adjust Display Refresh Rate' and trying to watch 50FPS video. If your TV only does 60 Hz refresh (?) then make sure you disable 'Adjust Display Refresh Rate' (so the refresh rate is static at 60Hz for all video material ... which is fine) ... or add a 1920x1080 @ 50Hz video mode.
---(TV is supposed to be 60hz, could it be some of the TV's enhancements messing it up? I will also disable any motion enhance or game/video modes, etc.. to see if that helps. When I check Monitor tab of the Advanced Settings, it shows "Screen Refresh Rate: 59 hertz with "hide modes this monitor cannot display" checked. I switched this to 60hz. "Adjust Display Refresh Rate" was already disabled.

Try fix the above first ... then run another log if you still have sound issues Wink

Thanks for your help, I posted my comments & questions above.
Hi LeKodeur,
Any other suggestions?
Hi Hyde01,

- Kodi has its own time-zone settings in Settings-Appearance-International
- Yes in Kodi switch from DirectSound to WASAPI.
- Don't worry too much about your 50Hz refresh ... keep your TV at 60Hz and Adjust Display Refresh Rate disabled in Kodi ... and I doubt that your TV motion enhance and game/video modes would be an issue here with your sound problems.
(2015-10-12, 07:48)LeKodeur Wrote: Hi Hyde01,

- Kodi has its own time-zone settings in Settings-Appearance-International
- Yes in Kodi switch from DirectSound to WASAPI.
- Don't worry too much about your 50Hz refresh ... keep your TV at 60Hz and Adjust Display Refresh Rate disabled in Kodi ... and I doubt that your TV motion enhance and game/video modes would be an issue here with your sound problems.

Thank you LeKodeur,
Time Zone under Regional shows correct info for me. There is no Time Zone per-se, just "Region" so it's set to USA.
Sound is set to WASAPI
Refresh rate is OK.

Since I made WASAPI default, I see the errors less and less, and if there is any, it's a much shorter burst than before, barely noticeable.
I disabled some addons too.

If it comes back, I'll just do a 2nd install of Kodi. Can there be two instances of Kodi within same OS? I'd like check if it's some how my installation by trying a clean install.
Thanks again.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Random stutter for an instant in Kodi0