Modifying home menu
I'm trying to add more items to home menu, but I don't quite understand what to modify in Includes_Home.xml
By default, Home menu has Pictures, Movies, Weather etc.. I want to modify their labels, change their sub-menus and change the associated "on-click action" as well.
You don't need to modify skin files, use the menu customizer in skin settings.
(2015-10-24, 20:23)braz Wrote: You don't need to modify skin files, use the menu customizer in skin settings.

I can't do that because I have lots of changes to make. It will be cumbersome to keep clicking so many times for each change.
I used to do it in Confluence by simply adding new <item> to Home.xml
Sorry, that's how it's done in Mimic, that's what script.skinshortcuts is for.
My advice would be to get yourself onto Jarvis/Mimic 3.x. As that version uses the Skin Shortcuts script to manage the whole menu, once you've made your changes they will carry over to any other skin which uses the script in a similar way (there are a few of them), so at least all that clicking could be a one-time thing.

You could also manually edit the menu's slightly easier with that version too, if that is your wish - start off in the script.skinshortcuts folder, which will be in the addon_data folder of your userdata (wiki) folder. mainmenu.DATA.xml will contain your main menu items, and has a nice clear format for setting the label and action for each shortcut you want in your menus.

It gets a little more complicated from there, just because of the labelID system the script uses to match submenus to main menus, so your next job would be to delete every other DATA.xml file from said folder. Then go into each submenu through the menu editor Braz pointed you before and add an arbitrary item. Once you've done that, you'll find the folder filled with all-new .DATA.xml files - one for each submenu - which you can manually edit to your hearts content.

Just beware that the files are not designed to be edited this way so stick to the file format as-is, and beware that if you get something wrong the menu will throw up an error whilst building which will only be fixable by you correcting whatever error you made in the files. (You won't get much support if you report issues building menus if you've been manually editing them)
(2015-10-24, 21:28)braz Wrote: Sorry, that's how it's done in Mimic, that's what script.skinshortcuts is for.

Ok, I understand. But how is the default menu generated? Is there an array of values (ie. ['Pictures','Movies','Weather'..] stored somewhere that the script reads and generates the menu based on that?
I read something about overrides.xml. How can I make use of that?
(and if you want to learn anymore about Skin Shortcuts and how it works - including the overrides.xml - read the docs Wink)
Big Grin 
(2015-10-24, 21:36)BobCratchett Wrote: (and if you want to learn anymore about Skin Shortcuts and how it works - including the overrides.xml - read the docs Wink)

Fantastic! The two posts you made above gave me all the info I was looking for last 2 days. Thanks buddy.
Life is fun only if you poke around a little bit Wink

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Modifying home menu0