Help me pick a box...
Howdy folks. New member here, just getting my head around what Kodi can do. It's pretty amazing, but I need to ask for some help.

The sticky threads on hardware choices were all very informative, but I could use some help trying to fit a box into my budget of roughly $200 or under, if possible. It looks like I've narrowed things down to three choices so far, but other ideas are welcome.

I'm inclined to want to go with a Windows OS (as opposed to Linux or Android), so that I can still avail myself of various software utilities that I use, stream Netflix/Amazon/Hulu etc, and don't have to bang my head against the wall for driver support of whatever peripherals I might want to add such as BT Keyboard/Mouse and so on. There's also the benefit of having the comfort of understanding Windows, so that I'm not slamming my head into a steep learning curve.

Also, ideally, it would also be great if the unit were small enough to be able to slip into my briefcase and go along with me so I can bring a few movies when I travel.

Here are a couple units I had my eye on. Please feel free to comment or suggest others.

Vensmile unit looks really nice (small, light, portable), but it seems that's not recommended because of the low-power CPU.
http://www.amazon.com/VENSMILE-Computer-...s=vensmile

The intel NUC looks to fall into my price range, especially because I have a 2.5" 320GB SATA drive doing nothing at the moment, but it seems a bit large for travel.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00XPVQ...eo&sr=8-11

Raspberri Pi2, since I'm not afraid of doing a little tinkering and it seems Windows 10 is supported, however I wonder about the limited RAM in the machine.
http://www.amazon.com/Raspberry-componen...pberry+pi2

Anyway, I'd really like to hear your thoughts. Fire away. Thanks in advance!
(2015-10-25, 17:23)Cincinnatus Wrote: Raspberri Pi2, since I'm not afraid of doing a little tinkering and it seems Windows 10 is supported, however I wonder about the limited RAM in the machine.
http://www.amazon.com/Raspberry-componen...pberry+pi2

The Pi 2 is an amazing Kodi box. But ignore Windows 10. The Pi 2 runs Win 10 IOT - which is an embedded system designed for "Internet of Things" (think automated cat feeders rather than media centres) It doesn't run Windows 10 in the form that you would run on a PC, and doesn't have the regular Windows UI.

If you are happy with OpenElec - it's brilliant for the money.
What about this Windows 10 box?>> http://www.amazon.com/Tronsmart-Ara-X5-W...rds=ara+x5

I have/had about a dozen Android boxes including the Minix X8-H Plus, I like this windows 10 box better and it is cheaper than my Minix. Kodi works great on it and Netflix is HD with Dolby Digital. Geekbuying is cheaper and there discount coupons floating around.
Yep - the Cherry Trail boxes are getting some interest. The Bay Trail predecessors had terrible GPUs so are best avoided. (I have a cheap Bay Trail tablet I use with Windows 10 and an HDMI cable in hotels. it's OK... But no better than OK...)

Have read a couple of reports about overheating with the Tronsmart I think - which has been a recurring problem with passive Baytrail devices (The Intel Compute Stick has a tiny fan to help prevent this, other sticks that don't will often CPU throttle when stressed, as did the original Pipo Baytrail-T Windows box)
(2015-10-25, 19:48)clarkss12 Wrote: What about this Windows 10 box?>> http://www.amazon.com/Tronsmart-Ara-X5-W...rds=ara+x5

I have/had about a dozen Android boxes including the Minix X8-H Plus, I like this windows 10 box better and it is cheaper than my Minix. Kodi works great on it and Netflix is HD with Dolby Digital. Geekbuying is cheaper and there discount coupons floating around.

+1 for the X5

It's the best box that I have and Kodi works brilliantly.

As long as 4k@60fps isn't a requirement then I can't rate it high enough for overall use.
I have not used Apps on Windows 10 yet, but how remote control friendly is say Netflix on Windows devices.
Or do you need a Keyboard and mouse attached ?

(2015-10-26, 04:43)wrxtasy Wrote: I have not used Apps on Windows 10 yet, but how remote control friendly is say Netflix on Windows devices.

not at all; yes.
Ok next question regarding Kodi use on any Windows device.
Are you going to get nagged continually with Windows update requests when all you want to do is use Kodi and watch video ?

(2015-10-26, 05:33)wrxtasy Wrote: Ok next question regarding Kodi use on any Windows device.
Are you going to get nagged continually with Windows update requests when all you want to do is use Kodi and watch video ?

if all you want to do is use Kodi and watch videos, Windows isn't the right OS IMO. Though you can use Launcher4Kodi to set it to launch on startup, and automatic Windows updates will just get installed overnight so it would in theory be invisible to you
(2015-10-26, 05:33)wrxtasy Wrote: Ok next question regarding Kodi use on any Windows device.

Minix has a Windows box
I have several android boxes; if u only wana use kodi, get the minix x8h+. Its v powerful
(2015-10-26, 04:43)wrxtasy Wrote: I have not used Apps on Windows 10 yet, but how remote control friendly is say Netflix on Windows devices.

Using the Netflix app on Windows10 is absolutely horrid. Using Netflix from a browser is better, but not by much.
(2015-10-26, 13:03)clarkss12 Wrote:

Using the Netflix app on Windows10 is absolutely horrid. Using Netflix from a browser is better, but not by much.

Except in the browser you don't get DD+ audio and are limited to stereo. If you want DD+ surround audio in Windows I think you have to use the App.
I see now why DRM streaming Android Apps are preferable to the Windows or browser solutions due the the remote control and sound issues mentioned.

With that in mind the only two solutions for Kodi + Android Apps in full 1080 HD with 24p refresh rate switching would be:

- nVidia Shield
- WeTek Core

The Core, autoswitches the TV to 24p mode, before starting Netflix for silky smooth video playback. Smile

[/quote]Except in the browser you don't get DD+ audio and are limited to stereo. If you want DD+ surround audio in Windows I think you have to use the App.
[/quote]

Yes, you are correct.
Some good suggestions here. Thanks for the input.

It seems the choice of hardware mostly depends on the choice of preferred OS, since Kodi runs on them all. I was inclined to Windows for familiarity, compatibility, utilities and whatnot. However, I'm still not finally decided on that.

(2015-10-25, 19:21)noggin Wrote: The Pi 2 is an amazing Kodi box. But ignore Windows 10. The Pi 2 runs Win 10 IOT - which is an embedded system designed for "Internet of Things" (think automated cat feeders rather than media centres) It doesn't run Windows 10 in the form that you would run on a PC, and doesn't have the regular Windows UI.

If you are happy with OpenElec - it's brilliant for the money.
Since Kodi doesn't have support for Netflix/Amazon/Hulu, etc. it knocks OpenELEC out of the box. At least with an Android solution, I have apps that fill that the streaming need.

The reason why I'm now thinking Android becomes attractive is that there are streaming apps available for Netflix/Amazon/Hulu, however I'm a bit concerned about peripheral compatibility (bluetooth keyboard/mouse) and if I should take a Pi solution on the road with me... how the heck do I get it connected to a network at a remote destination? The problems with my Roku stick come to mind where you MUST have their remote to get the damned thing connected to a new network. Would I be able to use my Android phone to access the Android/Pi box so that it can be configured to a new network? Also, my concern with Android is whether a 1G Raspberry Pi2 with Gingerbread is up to the task from a performance standpoint. Is that enough RAM to do the trick?

Still pondering. Looking forward to continuing discussion. Thanks again for the help.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Help me pick a box...0