Recommend me an AndroidTV that will run Kodi
So I'm in the market for a new TV. Is anyone running a TV with inbuilt android that works well with Kodi?

I've seen reports of this 4K Sony TV working

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/tv-and-home...7-pdt.html

Any else? What's your experiences?
yeah, the 2015 Sony Bravia Android TVs do run Kodi quite well, can't say for sure what's the situation with the new Philips TV sets. he have a thread here in case you want to do some read-up http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=229348

one caveat: Sony still has quite some issues with the firmware, still no USB recording available and some bugs with the live channels/live TV - all hopes are on the Marshmallow 6.0 build announced for late November/December. I mostly use Kodi and Netflix so I'm fine with my set Wink
OpenElec Standalone --> Asus Chromebox 'Panther' --> Onkyo TX-NR709 --> Sony 55" X85C Android TV (also with Kodi!)
Asus Chromebox EZ Script
Kodi on Sony Bravia Android TVs
I have Philips 40" android tv, works work kodi without problems, in fact, kodi was pre installed.
Take it from me, buy an Android TV set top box. You'll save money and can move it from TV to TV without any problems. Plus, if Google ends support for Android TV, then you'll only be out $50 versus the $1000+ a TV with the built in OS will cost.
I personally have no interest in a seperate box for Kodi, I already have an NUC that is perfect but the cables and look annoy me.

Was hoping Android has reached a stage of maturity that I can ditch the separate hardware.
Closed Firmware on these TV's is the major problem, you are up to the mercy of the TV Manufacturer to fix issues if they even want to in the first place to make them Kodi compatible.

Companies like nVIDIA and WeTek will be far more nimble and responsive ironing out any Android - Kodi related issues with far far quicker Firmware updates. Small, light boxes like the WeTek Core, can be stuck to the back of a TV and you never see any cables, particularly as you can control it with a RF Remote Control, so no line of sight needed.

Personally I would rather buy a dumb TV with OLED, than a first release buggy Android TV.

(2015-11-06, 14:03)wrxtasy Wrote: Personally I would rather buy a dumb TV with OLED, than a first release buggy Android TV.
Agree so much.
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
(2015-11-06, 10:56)zag Wrote: Was hoping Android has reached a stage of maturity that I can ditch the separate hardware.

It pretty much has, however, like any OS it's only going to be as good as the hardware it runs on and the support it gets. Neither of which you're going to find on a TV.

When it comes to buying a TV you should focus on picture quality and not what OS it has or whether it will run Kodi or not. After all, you'll be stuck with your TV purchase much longer than you would a Android box which is easier and cheaper to upgrade.

And you don't buy a Android box just because you need to run Kodi on it, you buy a Android box because you want the benefits of the Android ecosystem. To be able to run apps as well as have a good Kodi experience.

As wrxtasy said, if cables are the problem, it's easy enough to mount something like the Core or Shield ATV to the rear of the TV and in the case of the Shield control it via bluetooth or even CEC.
Forum Rules (wiki) | Banned add-ons (wiki) | Wiki (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
(2015-11-06, 14:21)Martijn Wrote:
(2015-11-06, 14:03)wrxtasy Wrote: Personally I would rather buy a dumb TV with OLED, than a first release buggy Android TV.
Agree so much.

+1

[rant]
I have the Sony Android TV and it's buggy, even with latest firmware.
Visibly it hates switching inputs (which I do quite often for tests). Sometimes it just reboots itself, sometimes it's just black screen and I have to reboot it.
The Android part is decent, but forget about refresh rate sync or HD Audio. The fact that it doesn't do 3D in 4K (and that there's no way to force it in 1080p) is a bummer, too.

Basically Sony has fallen to the "let's release a beta product" side...
[/rant]

P.S. Oh, and this thing is double the price of a decent "dumb" (or as dumb as possible those days) 4K TV
Other than that, you'll always have to turn on the TV even if you only want listen to music Huh

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Recommend me an AndroidTV that will run Kodi0