• 1(current)
Bug Openelec 6 - 25fps laggy GUI
Hello, myself and a couple others have brought this up numerous times on the Openelec forum and I've been told to report it to the Kodi developers as its apparently nothing to do with Openelec.

I'm running Generic 64bit Openelec, Intel G3258, 4gb ram and ssd.

System settings are set to 50hz, tv is 50hz, adjust refresh rate set to on start/stop, sync playback to display is on, deinterlacing is auto. When 50hz live tv is playing or even music visualisations the system GUI drops to 25fps.

System GUI refresh rates aren't uniform. The tv guide stays at 50fps whilst live tv is playing, but when SD tv is playing the main menu and all settings windows drop to a steady 25fps. When HD tv is playing the main menu remains at 50fps, but once you go into the settings menu it goes to 25fps.

If I stop live tv, the system GUI will go back up to 50fps. It should be stay at 50 regardless to whether tv is playing or not, since I have it set to 50hz.

I know Kodi renders the GUI at a lower frame rate in some cases, but that generally is when the system is idle (which is perfectly understandable) - it shouldn't bog down to 25fps in the menus when live tv is playing, especially when my system has more than enough power to achieve a solid 50fps.

It's strange because this doesn't happen on Kodi 15 Windows, Mac or Ubuntu platform, nor did it happen on Openelec 4.x-5.x. All those operating systems are smooth as butter at 50fps.

Upgrading to Openelec 6 feels like a downgrade, since it makes my htpc feel sluggish at 25fps.

Debug log is post number 3 http://openelec.tv/forum/64-installation...-laggy-gui

[/code]
Developers?
No one cares ... OE 6.0 is outdated - while kodi v16 is already in beta ... Reproduce with nightlies and file a bug on trac with those.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Isn't that simply because you've got 'Adjust display refresh rate' set to 'On start/stop' instead of 'Always'?
I am still curious how he measures the fps ... as everything the Debug Log displays is just "bogus".
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
I certainly don't need a tool to "measure" fps - I can very clearly see the difference between 25 & 50 fps with my eyes (hence why this thread exists). That being said it also displays fps on the top left hand side of the screen when debugging is enabled.

Hitcher, i've tried that, doesnt make a difference + settings on other Platforms are the same as whats set on Openelec, and those other platforms aren't effected..
I suppose it has something to do (right or wrong) with live TV being 25hz interlaced?

But I definitely don't get that effect on OE6 with 29.97fps progressive material, which gets played back at 59.94hz. The debug log's FPS counter shows 30fps when video's playing, and it shoots up to 60fps when I bring the GUI up. Note that playing 23.976 material of course results in a lower-framerate GUI, but it doesn't feel that bad.

I guess this doesn't happen for you with 25fps progressive video?
Yes - that seems odd. I asked the boss about it :-)
I've just tested progressive content and what you say is correct, when adjust display refresh rate is set to 'always', 25fps progressive content does not effect the fps on GUI, the GUI shoots back up to 60fps (50 in my case). What I prefer to do on 5.0.8 is set 'adjust display refresh rate' to start/stop. This way, it's always at 50fps when we are interacting with the GUI whilst live tv is playing (since the majority of content we watch is live tv).

Now with OE6 as I said the fps isn't the same within each window when live tv is playing. One window will be 50fps when HD tv is playing other windows will be 25fps. That same 50fps window will change to 25fps when SD tv is playing.

This may not be a big deal for certain users, and I totally understand that not everyone can see the difference between 25 and 50fps, or they don't have hardware capable of acheiving 50fps in GUI in the first place. But for myself and others who have seen 50fps system wide for the past 2 years or so, then suddenly seeing a mix of 25 & 50fps, it certainly makes our systems feel different, or slow I guess.
I can't reproduce this issue here. Note that video is not rendered at different fps as gui while video is playing. If you see fps dropping while video is playing, the reason is that video fps drops. That sets the pace.
Enable component logging for video and pastebin full debug log.
Note: I'm currently using a build which has been compiled to enable bluetooth audio - This has also been tested on all official Openelec 6 beta's through to final 6.0 and the outcome is exactly the same. Below is a fresh debug log after a hard reset to try and eliminate any other potential conflicts.

Acceleration settings:
Enable HQ scalers above:20%
Allow hardware acceleration VDPAU: disabled

OSV video settings: Everything on auto

http://pastebin.com/jU2wNkmt - I start playing live tv at line 1254. At line 2007 I switch to a SD channel.

Here are some screenshots:

Openelec 6.0. SD tv playing - System wide GUI locks to 25fps

Openelec 6.0 HD tv playing - Main menu GUI stays at 50fps. The settings menu sometimes drops to 25fps when HD tv is playing (unpredictable)

Windows 10 - Kodi 15.2. Same TV & SD tv channel playing as above - GUI remains at 50fps
- play some SD channel and open video settings. what de-interlacing method do you have chosen?
- why don't you use "prefer vaapi for rendering"?
I'm pretty sure I did play a SD channel at around line 2007 then backed out to the main menu whilst it was playing.

For deinterlacing I use vaapi motion adaptive & scaling method lanczos3 optimised, but for this example after a hard reset I just left those on auto to see if it would make any difference (which it didnt)
Here we go.. this is with deinterlacing method set to vaapi motion adaptive and lanczos3. Starting on a SD channel, then backing out the main menu, then the settings menu, then back to fullscreen.

http://pastebin.com/AQ0jk0d8
I find it pretty damn funny that you censored your local ip address lol
  • 1(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Openelec 6 - 25fps laggy GUI0