• 3(current)
Bug Openelec 6 - 25fps laggy GUI
Hi,

I just registered to the forum to let Big Aero and you Fritsch know, that you're not alone with this issue. I experience the exact same issue on my machine. It also appeared with OE6 / Kodi 15.2. I followed this thread and I have also the same settings than you.

My Setup

- CPU: Intel® Core™ i3-4330T
- RAM 8GB
- SSD 128GB
- Skin - Confluence

- Settings used: Resolution 1920x1080p, Refresh rate - 50.00, VSync - Let driver choose, HQ scalers above 20%, all VAAPI stuff enabled, VDPAU - off, Deinterlacing - auto, Deinterlace method - VAAPI motion compensated, Video scaling method - Lanczos3 optimised, Adjust refresh rate - on start/stop.

I didn't took the effort and watched when it occours exactly, but the UI is always smooth if there's no Video playing. If there's one playing, sometimes the UI gets laggy. Often when watching HD LiveTV like ARD HD or ZDF HD. It also reported often it detected 100fps in the debug log and then tried to switch to 60Hz refresh rate. I've overwriten this rule to 50Hz. But this wasn't needed in older versions. Maybe it has something to do with interleaved content. Not sure.

ATM I have running Fritsch's build (.98 or something). Same fault. I also have Audio drops on LiveTV, I think this is mentioned already in an other thread.

I love Kodi, but at the moment I'm thinking of just going back to the older version.

Thanks, Ed
Yeah - use the older version. Providing debuglogs is for sure not an appropriate alternative ...
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
@gomaed please provide fritsch with a debug log.

@fritsch have you taken a look through my debug log on the previous page?
No time ... busy with real life ... disable _all_ dirty regions, reproduce and post another Debug Log.

I fully cannot reproduce. I tried with SD live TV as you mentioned and I am really not sure how we can drop to 25 fps - while the video still makes 50 - that's not possible with our mainloop implementation on x64 ...
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
@fritsch sorry, I will provide logs when I'm at home again (business trip) and have time. As you, I'm also busy with work and private stuff. So please forgive me not posting logs right away. With my last (and first) post I just wanted to point out that this seems not only to be a problem for one user/setup.

Are dirty regions are not disabled by default on x64 builds. I thought so.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/5572...443afd.tar <- any difference with this build (be careful it's v17 based) - handle with care.
Thanks fritsch, but unfortunately that build hasn't solved it.

If I back out to the menu whilst a recorded SD live tv program is playing the GUI initially stayed at 50fps, but as soon as I went into any of the system settings, video library etc, it bogs back down to 25fps again, and wont go back up to 50.

What I have discovered is (didn't test this part on your build) if I disable Vsync, I'm then able to achieve around 50-60fps throughout the GUI whilst HD tv is playing, but strangely only 38-44fps when SD tv is playing (remember this is with Lanczos3 optimised enabled) - it produces some slight tearing within the GUI at least it's smoother than system wide locks to 25fps. I've also just tested ProjectM at maximum settings and I'm now getting around 40fps within the GUI, so it's alot better.

Perhaps this isn't related to Kodi afterall and is actually a Intel driver issue - since it didn't seem to happen with Nvidia Graphics cards? Are different Intel drivers used between OE 5 & 6 do you know?
What happens if you disable Lanczos3 Optimized with SD?

Also - I still want a log with dirtyregions completely disabled - please.

Code:
<advancedsettings>
<gui>
<algorithmdirtyregions>0</algorithmdirtyregions>
</gui>
</advancedsettings>

to /storage/.kodi/userdata/advancedsettings.xml
I did that earlier and it didn't seem to make any difference. But sure, I'll do that again and grab the log later tonight hopefully.

This issue occurs with all the scaling methods - Lanczos2/3, Spline36 etc...(haven't tested nearest neighbour though - far to low quality) Bilinear works to a certain extent . If I disable Lanczos3 and enable bilinear, the GUI will stay at 50fps when SD tv is playing. With HD tv playing the main menu stays at around 45-50fps, but all other windows drop to 25fps.

It's also worth noting, if I have Vsync set to "let the driver decide", and I then playback some music whilst displaying ProjectM (high settings), the main menu GUI stays at 50, but all the settings windows goes down to 25fps. The moment I disable Vsync the main menu GUI shoots up to 70 fps, same as the settings windows shoot up to around 46-50fps.

So for now I think the only solution to using Lanczos3 whilst maintaining a high frame rate throughout, is to disable Vsync, as it delivers a superior experience rather than being locked to 25 fps Smile
No ... not really. The report absolutely makes no sense - it is not possible to watch 720p50 when only rendered at 25 fps - you would see tons (!) I mean hundred of skips ... if there are no skips - a whole lot of skips - the fps you think that displays your fps - is not displaying what you think it does.

But that I have told since months now: the fps value is not (!) what you think it is ...
I am totally not sure what I should try to reproduce this - even _if_ I look on the fps I see rock solid 50 fps in all your use cases:

(don't be confused with the color tone - it's limited range)
I can assure you that I can 100% see the difference between 25fps and 50 fps on GUI elements - since I do a lot of first person shooter PC gaming at 60fps. Any dips below 45fps whilst gaming is terrible (and very noticeable), same goes for any sudden change of fps within the GUI on Kodi. I accept that the Kodi fps counter may not be 100% spot on, but it's very close, maybe within the margin of a few fps. I would love to record it and show you, but unfortunately my camera wouldn't be able to pick it up.

Please take a look at my screenshots I posted on the first page of this thread, you can also see it displays 25fps on Openelec 6 even though settings are set at 50hz. As I've said previously I've tested this on Windows 10, OSX and Ubuntu and those operating systems don't seem to suffer from this issue. It's only happened since Openelec 5.9x all the way through to Openelec Kodi 16 b2.

If your seeing 50fps within the menus on Ubuntu whilst live tv is playing (and assuming Kodi is 100% identical between Ubuntu and Openelec) then this issue surely must be related to Intel on Openelec? Since this issue does not occur with GTX 760 graphics card on Openelec 6

(2015-11-25, 22:46)fritsch Wrote: it is not possible to watch 720p50 when only rendered at 25 fps
I'm not sure if I've explained correctly. Whilst in fullscreen live tv the fps counter is at 50fps. The moment you open any of the GUI this is when it drops to 25fps.
Curious. I will try again with the build I linked you.

Funny thing: My OE builds use the very same mesa, libva, libva-driver-intel and even the very same kernel version I run on my Ubuntu 15.10 ...

If you find time - follow the howto I gave in the Linux section - this one is _not_ affected?

Edit: Ah (!) you said: Only OE is affected - not funny. But - then sadly something OE specific - Not a single idea what that could be - most likely again some bumped xserver version that no one in real world runs besides them ... I don't know. But I will reproduce with OE the next days and see what happens.
(2015-11-25, 23:30)Big Aero Wrote:
(2015-11-25, 22:46)fritsch Wrote: it is not possible to watch 720p50 when only rendered at 25 fps
I'm not sure if I've explained correctly. Whilst in fullscreen live tv the fps counter is at 50fps. The moment you open any of the GUI this is when it drops to 25fps.

Is this really true? You see the gui dropping to 25 fps while playing a 50hz progressive video?
I was actually going to give your kodibuntu tutorial a try the other week, but I just left it. I may give it a shot this weekend.

Yes, Openelec 6 only - it was not present on OE5 either.

Thanks for your help and time.

@FernetMenta - In my country tv is broadcasted @ 50hz (interlaced, as far as I'm aware) or is it 25hz interlaced.... So if Kodi deinterlaces this material is it then classed as 50hz progressive? If so, then yes 50hz progressive GUI drops to 25fps with lanczcos3 enabled.

I basically have Openelec set to 50hz 1920x1080p - TV obviously to match. I play live tv through the dish, with detinerlacing set to auto, deinterlacing method set to VAAPI motion adaptive, scaling method Lanczcos3. The fps in fullscreen live tv shows 50fps as it should, soon as I open any of the GUI the fps drops to a pinned 25fps.
  • 3(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Openelec 6 - 25fps laggy GUI0