START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020)
(2017-01-14, 23:44)phreedumb Wrote: Hi guys, fantastic discussion in the thread!

I've been lurking for months (probably over a year now, actually almost 2 years http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=220581) to replace my aging Fire TV Stick (gen1). It is connected over 2.4Ghz Wifi to my Asus RT-AC87R router (5Ghz compatible) in the next room (so good signal strength), running 16.1 Kodi and SMB shares from USB2 hdd shared from Asus router). My tv is a 55" LG OLED 4K HDR (HDMI2 compatible).

I waited until CES for the new nVidia Shield however was disappointed in the lack on new hardware. Likewise, the Amazon Fire TV 2 is over a year old and I was waiting for some new tech/hardware.

My current issues;
720p and 1080p x264 files are buffering and locking up Kodi (reboot, or stop start file fixes it)
unable to play x265 HEVC files
I see micro-stuttering (not sure if dropping frames related to network, or performance)
Kodi is hacked to run (pressing HOME drops back to Amazon GUI)

My new requirements;
smooth playback
4k playback (TV is HDR compatible so HDR would be good to have)
'point anywhere' remote support
Kodi/LibreELEC/equivalent (wife friendly)

Nice to have;
emulation gaming (Mario Kart 64 for example)

I've narrowed it down to (note, I'm a tech/bleeding edge nerd-burger, but also a tight-arse Rofl)
Xiaomi Mi Box - $69 (next week)
nVidia Shield - $199 (preorder, god knows when)
Amazon Fire TV 2 - $89 (available Feb-1, other models are available earlier)

then, buying a bluetooth game controller, and upgrading my USB2 hdd to USB3 (not sure if necessary, but running out of free space).

I think I'll buy the Mi Box but need someone to validate my purchase/decision Tongue

OR...

Buy a new i3/i5 NUC (running all front and "backend" services on it)
So you have a HDR TV that you would like to take advantage of ?
Have you read the following ?

Q. I need HDR10 and 4K video playback support ?
Have you got all your HDR10 hardware ducks in a row ?
Cut through the Marketing B.S. and read what is required and where to get properly encoded HDR content in this post.

If you have you would realise that only the nVIDIA Shield will give you the Netflix and Amazon HDR content that you want. Its only now that the Android Nougat Software on it is finally catching up with the top spec Hardware in it.

New Shields are already being dispatched and delivered.

The Mi Box will get nice smooth video playback once Kodi (auto) dynamic refresh switching is working. We need new Firmware for that. You get 3:2 pulldown judder at the moment for 23.976fps video output at 60Hz. You can manually switch to 1080/2160p 24Hz for smooth video but thats a PITA.

The Shield and the Mi Box are the only two Android devices that meet the new Google IEC Audio standard that is required for passthrough audio from Kodi Krypton onwards. This thread has details on that.
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=...pid2500473

I cannot recommend any Amazon devices for those that need full passthrough Audio support when using Kodi Krypton.

Messages In This Thread
The right box for me - by tyem - 2016-01-13, 15:29
Jesus Box - by kellyvb - 2016-03-04, 20:18
Thanks for the Help! - by jmc15john - 2016-11-09, 16:44
Jarvis crashes and wipes - by gotthis2000 - 2017-01-10, 22:14
RE: Jarvis crashes and wipes - by nickr - 2017-01-10, 22:58
RE: START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Jan 2017) - by wrxtasy - 2017-01-15, 02:00
T95Z Plus Android TV Box - by gooner1971 - 2017-03-17, 13:04
Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020)28