•   
  • 208(current)
START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Nov. 2018)
Hi guys
If i want a player that can support and play from External HDD of 4TB+, which Kodi box would be suitable for me?
Android, Windows or one of the Linux based boxes running Kodi ?

DIY or Plug and Play

Price Range ?

Extra include auto Frame Rate Matching for silky smooth video playback, and auto resolution switching to optimised output picture quality when used on a 4K TV.

Android
Plug n Play 

My minimum criteria is that it has to play media files from an External Hard Drive of 4TB plus.
Wrxtasy, what are the minimum specs to have for a mini pc to run kodi via LE?  I used to run (still am on my old 32" tv) LE  via a mini pc.
I came across a posting giving the minimum specs, but am unable to locate it again.

I recently got a bigger tv and now  i get stutter. 
So i assume i have to get better pc.?

Are those little mini pc suitable? thinking of  the beelink as an example.
For Intel you want something these days that can hardware decode 10bit HEVC/h.265 and I think the entry level for that is Intel Apollo Lake microarchitecture onwards.

The older Cherry Trail stuff if I remember correctly is 8bit HEVC hardware decode only capable.

(2019-03-18, 07:06)wrxtasy Wrote: For Intel you want something these days that can hardware decode 10bit HEVC/h.265 and I think the entry level for that is Intel Apollo Lake microarchitecture onwards.

The older Cherry Trail stuff if I remember correctly is 8bit HEVC hardware decode only capable.
 Geez that was quick. Thank you.   Im  very undecided  on what to do, i must admit.
I have currently a  minix h8plus, which thanks to Datrch, is now mostly working again.. 
no x265 etc.             I was tempted with a s912 minix box but with the 8plus working again pressure is off.    
I might  just  hold off and see how ongoing support  for the s912 pans out after leia
Hi,

I am searching now already a couple of days for an improvement for my home solution:

My current Setup looks the following:

Server:
UnRaid Server with Emby

Client:
Sony Bravia 55XD8505 (Android TV with Amazon and Netflix App - Supports HDR10 over HDMI but no Dolby Vision)
Yamaha RX-V681 with 5.1 Speaker setup + 2x Height Speaker (Setup is prepared for Atmos/DTS:X)
Odroid C2 with Kodi and Emby Plugin
Harmony Remote

What I do not like on the current setup is the follwoing:
1) Android TV on the Sony. Buggy and slow
2) Bigger Upgrades on Odroid Kodi. After last update (Kodi 8 to 9) I had a long downtime until I got Emby Plugin again working

I would spend up 200 Euro (Price Range of Apple TV or Shield) if it would be a stable and long lasting solution.

First I thought that Apple TV 4K could be the solution. from other Forums/Posts I saw that it has one of the best Video Quality including HDR, but there are big limitations with Atmos/DTS:X, although I am not able to understand what exactly are the limitations. Only for MrMC App or also Amazon/Netflix?

Then I thought it might be the Nvidia Shield, no issues with Atmos/DTS:X as it is supporting Bitstream. But here I read something that it is not performing that well with HDR and also Framerate Switching.

My questions are now:
1) Will the limitations of the above solutions maybe adressed in future?
2) Maybe the limitations are not real limitations and I only do not understand it correctly?
3) Is there another solution on the horizon?

My "Plan B" would be to stay with the Odroid and live with the 4k/HDR limitations for the time beeing.

Br,
Johannes
  •   
  • 208(current)

Thread Rating:
  • 23 Vote(s) - 4.26 Average

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Nov. 2018)4.2623