•   
  • 209(current)
START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Nov. 2018)
Ok, very good explanations.

One last understanding question:

I have at home the one or the other BluRay. I was playing with HandBrake and other apps. But do they really deliver 4K/HDR Output or is it just a "copy of the screen"? In other words - makes it sense to backup my BluRays and getting better quality for audio/video compared to the verisons on Netflix/Amazon?

Br,
Johannes
Hi, bear with me – fairly new to this and looking for some advice. 

First, my “wants” are 4K and HDR playback over ethernet and a generally a snappy box. Netflix, amazon etc I’ve got other ways.

I’m trying to decide between OSMC (Vera 4k+) and Coreelec, and the pros/cons of each. Particularly regarding support going forwards ie. with metadata handshaking for HDR etc. 

Also, if going down the coreelec route I am trying to get to grips with the various kernals, drivers and challenges you folks are facing for the future. Looks like the main AMLogic options are s905x, s912 and a droid n2 with the new s922x (or even s905x2??). 

Is development moving away from S912, and therefore best to avoid? Because of issues with libMali/using android. Is S922x seemingly the way forward? I don’t mind waiting till April to get a droid n2 if this is where the action will be going forward….I dont really know what people mean when "moving to mainline linux", good or bad thing?!

Any input much appreciated.
(2019-03-22, 09:48)ebnerjoh Wrote: Ok, very good explanations.

I have at home the one or the other BluRay. I was playing with HandBrake and other apps. But do they really deliver 4K/HDR Output or is it just a "copy of the screen"? In other words - makes it sense to backup my BluRays and getting better quality for audio/video compared to the verisons on Netflix/Amazon?

Br,
Johannes
 Someone here who could answer me this question?

Br,
Johannes

Br,
Johannes

If you rip your Blu-rays losslessly - using MakeMKV or AnyDVDHD - then you should get identical quality to playing the disc in a player (as the rip is a lossless copy).  If you decide to reduce the amount of data required to store a disk by re-encoding (using HandBrake) then you will be potentially reducing the picture quality, but whether the loss in quality is visible is a separate matter.  Lots of people find a re-encode to a lower bitrate still delivers the quality they want (and still higher quality than many OTT services) and prefer to have to store smaller files.
(11 hours ago)noggin Wrote:

Br,
Johannes

If you rip your Blu-rays losslessly - using MakeMKV or AnyDVDHD - then you should get identical quality to playing the disc in a player (as the rip is a lossless copy).  If you decide to reduce the amount of data required to store a disk by re-encoding (using HandBrake) then you will be potentially reducing the picture quality, but whether the loss in quality is visible is a separate matter.  Lots of people find a re-encode to a lower bitrate still delivers the quality they want (and still higher quality than many OTT services) and prefer to have to store smaller files. 
Thanks, last question: What happens with HDR in this case (lossy vs. lossless)?
  •   
  • 209(current)

Thread Rating:
  • 23 Vote(s) - 4.26 Average

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Nov. 2018)4.2623