openelec update on pi 2
How do update to latest version of open elec and kodi. I tried to update it from whithin kodi, manual option but nothing shows up. I think I'm on version 5.
Download the update file (not the disk image file) from here for the relevant device (this one for the Pi2), then copy that tar file into the update folder on your current OE install (either do it via SMB or using a USB stick and the built-in file manager) and reboot.

The system should see that the tar file is there and proceed to unpack and install it.

The disk image files in the same web page are the ones for a new install (to be written to the SD card directly with Win32 Disk Imager or whatever) and not for updates.

There is some more information on updating in the OE wiki.
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
(2016-01-06, 13:24)DarrenHill Wrote: Download the update file (not the disk image file) from here for the relevant device (this one for the Pi2), then copy that tar file into the update folder on your current OE install (either do it via SMB or using a USB stick and the built-in file manager) and reboot.

The system should see that the tar file is there and proceed to unpack and install it.

The disk image files in the same web page are the ones for a new install (to be written to the SD card directly with Win32 Disk Imager or whatever) and not for updates.

There is some more information on updating in the OE wiki.

thanks. can i move over the files on pc to the update folder, also whats the method for the usb stick, which file manager are you refering to?
Yes. Basically you just have to move the .tar file from the PC where you downloaded it into the update folder on the Pi.

You can either do it directly from the PC via SMB sharing if you have that enabled on the Pi, or put the file on a USB stick on the computer, plug that stick into the Pi and then use the file manager built into OpenElec to copy the file from the stick into the update folder.
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
(2016-01-06, 15:31)DarrenHill Wrote: Yes. Basically you just have to move the .tar file from the PC where you downloaded it into the update folder on the Pi.

You can either do it directly from the PC via SMB sharing if you have that enabled on the Pi, or put the file on a USB stick on the computer, plug that stick into the Pi and then use the file manager built into OpenElec to copy the file from the stick into the update folder.

I will try that, thanks for your help.Wink
(2016-01-06, 15:31)DarrenHill Wrote: Yes. Basically you just have to move the .tar file from the PC where you downloaded it into the update folder on the Pi.

tried it lastnight and I cant see any update folder, I think its using noobs on it. its showing profiles and other files but no update folder,
would it be easy to just put the disk image and start again?
(2016-01-07, 11:20)yaqh Wrote: tried it lastnight and I cant see any update folder, I think its using noobs on it. its showing profiles and other files but no update folder,

See post. You should have a folder called "Update". If you're seeing "Profiles" it sounds like you've clicked into the Userdata folder, or it could be something else entirely (I'm not familiar with NOOBS).

(2016-01-07, 11:20)yaqh Wrote: would it be easy to just put the disk image and start again?

It's one solution, but you'll want to work out how to update from a tar file as it's by far the easiest method, particularly as it doesn't wipe your data/library.
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
If it's only showing profiles etc then you're a folder level too low (the profiles are in the userdata folder - the update folder is a level higher in the .kodi folder).

If you're not using the Pi for anything else, then yes I would get rid of Noobs and just put an OE disk image straight onto the card via a PC and Win32 Disk Imager or something equivalent. You can use the backup add-on to take a copy of your set-up first, and restore it after the rewrite so you don't lose your set-up. Or just do a backup using the OpenElec config add-on and restore via the same add-on afterwards (that add-on ships pre-installed with OE - it's on the main menu sub-options for the system menu item, or accessible via program add-ons if I remember well).

If you do want to stick with your existing set-up, then you can probably use the file manager route and locate the update folder (from memory it's /storage/.kodi/update from the root but don't take that as gospel and note that .kodi is a hidden folder so you would have to enable seeing hidden files and folders in the main Kodi system menu (system > appearance > file lists > show hidden files and directories under Confluence, or something similar under other skins) to see it when using the file manager.

Kodi Blog Posts
(2016-01-07, 11:36)DarrenHill Wrote: If it's only showing profiles etc then you're a folder level too low (the profiles are in the userdata folder - the update folder is a level higher in the .kodi folder).

If you're not using the Pi for anything else, then yes I would get rid of Noobs and just put an OE disk image straight onto the card via a PC and Win32 Disk Imager or something equivalent. You can use the backup add-on to take a copy of your set-up first, and restore it after the rewrite so you don't lose your set-up. Or just do a backup using the OpenElec config add-on and restore via the same add-on afterwards (that add-on ships pre-installed with OE - it's on the main menu sub-options for the system menu item, or accessible via program add-ons if I remember well).

If you do want to stick with your existing set-up, then you can probably use the file manager route and locate the update folder (from memory it's /storage/.kodi/update from the root but don't take that as gospel and note that .kodi is a hidden folder so you would have to enable seeing hidden files and folders in the main Kodi system menu (system > appearance > file lists > show hidden files and directories under Confluence, or something similar under other skins) to see it when using the file manager.

I think it might be easier to start again with fresh openelec install. I also couldn't get it to connect to my pc via smb, I did enable it first just wouldn't show up. I will try again tonight but if all fails I will try fresh install.
Thanks for your help.
Hi,

On your PC, try \\@IP\
You might have some directories, and update must appear.

Put your file here and reboot.

Regards,

Big
(2016-01-07, 11:58)bigbig6 Wrote: Hi,

On your PC, try \\@IP\
You might have some directories, and update must appear.

Put your file here and reboot.

Regards,

Big

thanks I will try that later.
I'm in the same boat as @Milhouse - I don't use Noobs so not too sure quite how much it changes how OE gets installed when it's used, but if you're just using the Pi for OE then it's simplest to just use an OE disk image as then you're not putting additional stuff on your card that's taking up space, it simplifies things and just writing the OE disk image to the card isn't the most difficult of things in the world to do.

Just to expand a little on @bigbig6's comment, that needs to be entered into the address bar of Windows Explorer (not Internet Explorer), and replace @IP with the actual IP address of your Pi running OE (you can get that from the system info sub-menu below system on the main menu ribbon, and then selecting Network in Confluence, or the equivalent on other skins).

Kodi Blog Posts
(2016-01-07, 12:10)DarrenHill Wrote: I'm in the same boat as @Milhouse - I don't use Noobs so not too sure quite how much it changes how OE gets installed when it's used, but if you're just using the Pi for OE then it's simplest to just use an OE disk image as then you're not putting additional stuff on your card that's taking up space, it simplifies things and just writing the OE disk image to the card isn't the most difficult of things in the world to do.

Just to expand a little on @bigbig6's comment, that needs to be entered into the address bar of Windows Explorer (not Internet Explorer), and replace @IP with the actual IP address of your Pi running OE (you can get that from the system info sub-menu below system on the main menu ribbon, and then selecting Network in Confluence, or the equivalent on other skins).

yea i tried my ip with \\. it came up with some message and wouldnt show any files. I will try again later thanks.
The way I did it is to install WinSCP on my Windows PC, then enable SSH in Kodi options.
In WinSCP, enter the IP from the Pi. Also make sure that you make the hidden folders visible.
Grab the .tar from Milhouse and put it in the .update folder.
Reboot the Pi, done Smile
Box 1: ODroid N2+ 4GB
Box 2: Intel NUC D34010WYK (Windows afedchin's Krypton MVC Build)
Box 3: Vero 4K
RIP schimi2k | I miss you buddy :(
(2016-01-07, 21:36)ArieS Wrote: The way I did it is to install WinSCP on my Windows PC, then enable SSH in Kodi options.
In WinSCP, enter the IP from the Pi. Also make sure that you make the hidden folders visible.
Grab the .tar from Milhouse and put it in the .update folder.
Reboot the Pi, done Smile

Thanks for the tip. I did a fresh install and it worked fine. next time I will have a look at this method when it comes to update again.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
openelec update on pi 20