Auto start at boot with shutdown option
Information 
Hello everybody,
first post here (so please go easy on me Wink )

I knew XBMC on the desktop linux PC, but never used it that much.

I own a Raspberry Pi model B+ and I decided to give Kodi try. Until now: amazing.
Raspbian 8;
Kodi 15.1.

What I want to accomplish is (it works partially) to have Kodi:
- starting automatically at boot;
- with both the options to go back to the shell (exit) and shutdown the RPi.

I tried 4 methods:

a) I had a look inside /etc/init.d/kodi script and tried changing "ENABLED" to 1.
The script doesn't launch Kodi anyway, neither at reboot nor manually with sudo /etc/init.d/kodi start.

b) I found the How-To at http://kodi.wiki/view/HOW-TO:Autostart_Kodi_for_Linux; switching the init.d script with the one at this page, Kodi starts, but I don't have the option to shutdown the system. I can only go back at the command line (exit). And from what I understand the "standalone" thing keeps re-spawning kodi every time it's terminated (although one can edit that line).

c) I can also just add a "kodi &" command into my .bashrc; but Kodi starts every time I login via ssh (unwanted) and again I don't have the shutdown option.

I think I'm going to use the method B.
Is there any option to have the shutdown entry back?

Thanks.
If you only want to use Kodi then maybe look at OpenElec or OSMC (on a separate SD card for simplicity).

They are OS installations specifically optimised just for Kodi, as an alternative to Raspbian.
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
And KODI has a menu option for shutting down the RPi as well...
Bo Berglund
Sweden
Information 
(2016-01-10, 18:46)DarrenHill Wrote: If you only want to use Kodi then maybe look at OpenElec or OSMC (on a separate SD card for simplicity).

They are OS installations specifically optimised just for Kodi, as an alternative to Raspbian.
Yeah, thanks. I tried that out, but I wanted a full linux distro under the hood, for various reasons. So I switched to Raspbian with a Kodi installation.

(2016-01-10, 18:49)Bosse_B Wrote: And KODI has a menu option for shutting down the RPi as well...
The problem is that I only see the full option list (including "shutdown") only if I launch Kodi manually from the command line. With the init.d script I only have "exit".

====

I think I may go with this one: Rofl

Check that you have consolekit installed, that effective uid which owns kodi process has rights to access and execute at least actions

Code:
org.freedesktop.upower.*;org.freedesktop.consolekit.system.*;org.freedesktop.udisks.filesystem-unmount-others;org.freedesktop.login1.*

and start kodi with parameter "--standalone"

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Auto start at boot with shutdown option0