rpi2 Kodi crashes when trying to play videos
Hi,

I have a Raspberry Pi 2B, using Raspbian Wheezy installed through NOOBS. On it I have Kodi 14.2, which is installed using apt-get in the terminal. At startup the pi goes directly to te gui desktop, and from there i start kodi.

I have my files on an external 4TB harddrive connected through USB, and it has its own powersource, and the pi itself uses the white official power adapter. The disc has 1 partition and uses NTFS.

The problem: Sometimes when I try to play a video-file kodi crashes. It does not start to play the file on my display (a tv connected with hdmi). But kodi crashes and goes back to the desktop. First I was just bitter, because some files never worked, but now it have changed. I played an episode of a tv-show yesterday and it worked fine. Today I did a defragmentation/optmisiation of the disc on a Windows computer (Win 7 Home Premium), and now the file i watched yesterday does not work at all. Yesterday evening I did a lot of renaming of files on the disc through SSH with PuTTY, when the Pi was on but Kodi was not started. That is why I did the defragmentation, because renaming 150 files that is in the library might have done something about the fragmentation I thought.

I followed the instructions for a logfile, and this is the
old one (where I started kodi and tried to play the file) : http://xbmclogs.com/pxoxv1wix
new one after I restarted kodi and told it to upload the logs:
http://xbmclogs.com/pq23bd3me

any ideas? Sad
First disable overclock and try again. In particular sdram_freq=500 is not reliable on many Pi2's.
(2016-01-12, 15:48)popcornmix Wrote: First disable overclock and try again. In particular sdram_freq=500 is not reliable on many Pi2's.
HI

How do I do that? The only option I found in raspi - config was for overclok pi2, and standard for old modell B. Not for pi 2 standard.

Did you find anything in the log file for this or just experience?
(2016-01-12, 16:46)gustavlidingo Wrote: How do I do that? The only option I found in raspi - config was for overclok pi2, and standard for old modell B. Not for pi 2 standard.

Yes, disable that (set it back to none).
(2016-01-12, 17:00)popcornmix Wrote:
(2016-01-12, 16:46)gustavlidingo Wrote: How do I do that? The only option I found in raspi - config was for overclok pi2, and standard for old modell B. Not for pi 2 standard.

Yes, disable that (set it back to none).
But that is "none" for the old pi 1 B, not B+ or 2B?

Just checking to be sure...
I believe none will remove the settings. That will put is back to stock (900MHz arm).
You can always manually remove the settings (all of the *_freq lines in config.txt).
(2016-01-12, 17:36)popcornmix Wrote: I believe none will remove the settings. That will put is back to stock (900MHz arm).
You can always manually remove the settings (all of the *_freq lines in config.txt).

I resetted to the stock settings, but it didn't work. Here is the log files:

old (from when it crashed) :
www.xbmclogs.com/phprwh4u5

new (that I sent logs from) :
www.xbmclogs.com/prb1wo9xb

And the yellow/green led on the pi 2 was shining bright, no stutter och winking/blinking, until the crash
OE 14.2 is quite old and no longer supported. You may be better off updating to a newer version.

You can update to raspbian jessie which has Kodi 15.2 in the repo, or (recommended) switch to OpenELEC or OSMC.
(2016-01-12, 17:55)popcornmix Wrote: OE 14.2 is quite old and no longer supported. You may be better off updating to a newer version.

You can update to raspbian jessie which has Kodi 15.2 in the repo, or (recommended) switch to OpenELEC or OSMC.

Okay, just that these are troubles I've been having since getting my pi last june and installing kodi in august. Well well, update to jessie it is then. Hopefully that will solve the problem.

But really, nothing strange in the log-file? nothing at all that might seem to be a clue to what the problem is caused by?
(2016-01-12, 18:17)gustavlidingo Wrote: But really, nothing strange in the log-file? nothing at all that might seem to be a clue to what the problem is caused by?

Yes, the file is encoded with msmpeg4v3 which is based on mpeg4 but is not compliant.
We detect that and attempt to fall back to software decode, but something is not happy and crashing.

This code has been improved in more recent kodi, so I suspect it will fix it.
(2016-01-12, 18:25)popcornmix Wrote:
(2016-01-12, 18:17)gustavlidingo Wrote: But really, nothing strange in the log-file? nothing at all that might seem to be a clue to what the problem is caused by?

Yes, the file is encoded with msmpeg4v3 which is based on mpeg4 but is not compliant.
We detect that and attempt to fall back to software decode, but something is not happy and crashing.

This code has been improved in more recent kodi, so I suspect it will fix it.

Now using a fresh install of Raspbian Jessie, with Kodi from the repos. It is working for now, fingers crossed that it continues to do so.

Now just to find how i can display the metadata (sd/720p/1080p/tv, 2.0/5.1/1.0, xvid/h.264, and so on) and the episode/movie info from scrapers when i browse my tv-shows. It has vanished and I cant find where to set that option...
(2016-01-13, 16:04)gustavlidingo Wrote: Now just to find how i can display the metadata (sd/720p/1080p/tv, 2.0/5.1/1.0, xvid/h.264, and so on) and the episode/movie info from scrapers when i browse my tv-shows. It has vanished and I cant find where to set that option...

Have you set up a library and scraped it? That should get you the movie/episode info.

For the codec info you either need to play the file, or enable "extract video information from files" (in video/file lists settings) and browse to the directory and wait a while for it to be scanned.
(2016-01-13, 16:08)popcornmix Wrote:
(2016-01-13, 16:04)gustavlidingo Wrote: Now just to find how i can display the metadata (sd/720p/1080p/tv, 2.0/5.1/1.0, xvid/h.264, and so on) and the episode/movie info from scrapers when i browse my tv-shows. It has vanished and I cant find where to set that option...

Have you set up a library and scraped it? That should get you the movie/episode info.

For the codec info you either need to play the file, or enable "extract video information from files" (in video/file lists settings) and browse to the directory and wait a while for it to be scanned.
I have set up a library, both the folder for movies and the one for tv. "extract video information from files" is enabled and the library is updated.

When I browse the tv-shows and goes down to episode level (where i can chose an episode to watch) I get fanart in the background and a thumbnail-image to the right (and bottom of the screen). It is scanned, since I can see rating, the blue sd and green hd, and the mark if episodes are watched.
(2016-01-13, 16:17)gustavlidingo Wrote:
(2016-01-13, 16:08)popcornmix Wrote:

I have set up a library, both the folder for movies and the one for tv. "extract video information from files" is enabled and the library is updated.

When I browse the tv-shows and goes down to episode level (where i can chose an episode to watch) I get fanart in the background and a thumbnail-image to the right (and bottom of the screen). It is scanned, since I can see rating, the blue sd and green hd, and the mark if episodes are watched.

If i press C on my keyboard, and go to episode info I get the symbols of audio & video and aspect ratio, and I can see the summary. Before this was displayed automaticyl by Confluence (on kodi 14.2 that is).
Solved my last problem. When browsing my files i press left arrow on keyboard to find a menu, there i click on "display" to toggle the views.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
rpi2 Kodi crashes when trying to play videos0