Must I Use Repos?
Hi,

I know this is going to sound stupid but someone once said there is no such things are a stupid question so here it goes...

What is the major benefit of installing from a repo vs a zip file?

Example... I can and have many addons on my system in the form of .ZIP files and have installed from these most times. I also can install the repo and then install from .ZIP at the repo. If I install from .ZIP it seems I have a cleaner system as installing from repos means I have a bunch of repos installed on my system. I thought it was for addon update purposes but wouldn't the addon still update itself if installed from a local .ZIP as a opposed to the repo .ZIP?

Pros & Cons if any? Sorry I just need to understand this.

Thanks,
you need a repo to get automatic updates.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Thank for the clarification
Just s follow up. Is the dpped and performance of Kodi related to the amount of repos installed? At some point does it slow the system down?

And how do I update addons that are not in repos? For example I have some that are just ,ZIP from a source. Should I stay away from these type?
1. No they will not slow your system.

2. You keep an eye on wherever you got the zip file (eg a forum thread) and download a new one when it is released.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Just confirm as I'm so new to this Kodi. I want to be sure to do things correct Smile

Appreciate the help from such a good community.
Just do be aware of the banned repos and addons - see the wiki.
Ok I will take note.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Must I Use Repos?0