Android Kore - browsing music / genre
(2016-01-22, 22:28)nixpix Wrote: Nice to have someone who understands me Wink And share my way of thinking when it comes to selecting music. Its almost like looking in the mirror haha, my shelves of CD´s are organized in the exact same way Wink Would really love Kore to have that feat, it would make an already amazing remote/system even greater!

Sorry that your nice reasonable feature request has been somewhat hijacked. But no worries, your request is quite clear, and most importantly, because he does the work on Kore, I'm sure @syncd gets it. It is really up to him what features he decides to add, after all we are all volunteer enthusiasts doing things in our spare time, but asking nicely is always a good start.

As for the rest... @syncd knows what he talking about, you can mimic Kodi's song genre based navigation on a remote without having to get all of the song data. There are two approaches, remote for iOS takes one and Kore could take the other (does so for albums aready and genre->artist is a possible extension). Tolriq seems reluctant for Yatse to function in a similar way to Kodi UI, that is of course his choice, as it is the user's choice which android app they use.

I enjoy design discussions, and see that technical criticism leads to better software, but I simply ignore people when they become rude and make personal accusations. I have had productive discussions with Tolriq at times, but when he is ranting there just isn't any point in engaging. @syncd has taken the other route, as is entirely his choice, and I think has reason to be outraged by the tone of what was posted and want to correct the mis-information. Just not sure that either silence or calling someone out make any difference in the end.

So back to the work, and making best use of the spare time I have!
(2016-01-22, 18:18)syncd Wrote: @Tolriq, GitHub isn't enough for you to express your pet peeves? You have to spam every single place on the web slightly related to them? That won't fly with me.

This was the engagement, I did not start. Nothing aggressive or false, and he choose to insult me. I choose to use my right to answer.

(2016-01-16, 21:38)Tolriq Wrote: Can't talk about Kore but for Yatse the main problem is the current API Smile

There's genre for artists but they are not the genre that Kodi use. The genre Kodi use is the genre from the song tags. The problem is that to currently list artist by a Kodi known genre (the song one) you need to query all songs from the genre to find all the artist from that genre then see if all that artist have albums and not only songs if it's compilation.

This leads to something that is slow and barely usable for now unfortunately. And that if you do not have songs tags that match your folder organisation you'll have artists in multiple unwanted genre.

And this is still true. And there was nothing against Syncd or wrong information compilations and singles are problematic to fully mimic Kodi.
Leading to performance problem. When I add feature I ensure it works 100% not 90% or 95%. And I also explained here the difference between genre and about what users have reported to me as a wanted (the Artist genre not the song one).

Currently there's a need for better Genre support for artist as asked by users, not by me.
(2016-01-23, 12:50)DaveBlake Wrote: Sorry that your nice reasonable feature request has been somewhat hijacked. But no worries, your request is quite clear, and most importantly, because he does the work on Kore, I'm sure @syncd gets it. It is really up to him what features he decides to add, after all we are all volunteer enthusiasts doing things in our spare time, but asking nicely is always a good start.

As for the rest... @syncd knows what he talking about, you can mimic Kodi's song genre based navigation on a remote without having to get all of the song data. There are two approaches, remote for iOS takes one and Kore could take the other (does so for albums aready and genre->artist is a possible extension). Tolriq seems reluctant for Yatse to function in a similar way to Kodi UI, that is of course his choice, as it is the user's choice which android app they use.

I enjoy design discussions, and see that technical criticism leads to better software, but I simply ignore people when they become rude and make personal accusations. I have had productive discussions with Tolriq at times, but when he is ranting there just isn't any point in engaging. @syncd has taken the other route, as is entirely his choice, and I think has reason to be outraged by the tone of what was posted and want to correct the mis-information. Just not sure that either silence or calling someone out make any difference in the end.

So back to the work, and making best use of the spare time I have!

No worries, no need to apologize. Somehow it did turn into some internal dispute, but in spite of that maybe some good will come of it Smile My initial question was if it could be done now, or perhaps added as a future feature, and that has been answered. So I am happy Smile
(2016-01-23, 13:09)Tolriq Wrote:
(2016-01-22, 18:18)syncd Wrote: @Tolriq, GitHub isn't enough for you to express your pet peeves? You have to spam every single place on the web slightly related to them? That won't fly with me.

This was the engagement, I did not start. Nothing aggressive or false, and he choose to insult me. I choose to use my right to answer.

Which apparently you didn't understood, so here goes the playground rules for you:

1. You don't get to call other people's contributions "less than useless";

2. You don't get to accuse other team members of "sabotage" (whatever you meant by that is beyond me...)

3. When your opinions about something are ignored, discarded or not acted upon by the team, you don't get to spam other threads marginally related to the matter, implicitly implying that you want to help users but the team doesn't let you because they don't do what you want. You actively try to manipulate discussions with users to further your goals, and that won't be tolerated here.

I've noticed that you've edited your GitHub comments regarding 1) and 2). I assume that you did that in a honest attempt to be more civilized. Good for you, i hope that you've also apologized to DaveBlake.

Now, work on 3), which is what you did on the beginning of this thread.

And you better stop the insults and the endless rants without a single coherent thought. I won't shut you down just yet, but you're getting close.

@nixpix @DaveBlake
Consider what i said earlier: the search bar on the albums screen currently only filters by album name, but it's a quick hack making it also consider the artist name (with some limitations). So, selecting a genre, and then searching for "Bowie" should return all albums of that genre by David Bowie.
Even if you think this doesn't really solve your issues i believe this might be something worth looking into.
So you acted like Prince Charming to save Dave ? He is old enough to defend himself if he think it's needed, but is way wiser than us.

For the record I have not edited github comments so I wonder from where you get this idea. (And all my remarks are about 10 lines of JSON code, all the rest as Dave knows via mail and PM was highly thanked and encouraged ...., so thanks for talking about things you do not have all information about.) (The JSON merge do break current JSON convention for filtering, and API have flaws that does not allows it to do what it's supposed to, so wording can be wrong, but meaning is valid)

About the story with Dave you have not the full story of our messages and PMs since September, and if you had the whole story you may think otherwise on who should apologize.
This is not your business and I may have over reacted to Dave merge, but from the 8 month discussion I felt completely stabbed in the back to see things merged that does not even covers what Dave wanted it to do. He had even given me back some faith to make PRs, then backstabbed me, I felt from quite high.

For insult I'll let you read this thread in the post order and see from where the insult came from.

About 3 you are completely wrong again about what I do and all the ways I tried since 2009, so you certainly miss a lot of history to have your personal feeling about that.
You should search this same forum / github for all reports and discussions about music library and genres to forge you your own opinion.
Nothing posted here was spam and the genre misunderstanding is still valid, unluckily for me in this case user was aware of the problem and correctly tagged it's songs.

Forum is full of we do not care about users we know better and those are not my posts but team post that do not answer in civilized manners to users.
When I report things I report a lot of user report that I had since I do direct support for a large user community not report loosed in this vast forum.
Sorry!!!! I'm not resisting....
hey pals let's move on
(2016-01-23, 21:20)syncd Wrote: @nixpix @DaveBlake
Consider what i said earlier: the search bar on the albums screen currently only filters by album name, but it's a quick hack making it also consider the artist name (with some limitations). So, selecting a genre, and then searching for "Bowie" should return all albums of that genre by David Bowie.
Even if you think this doesn't really solve your issues i believe this might be something worth looking into.

I'm sure that facility would be useful for some people, so if it is easy then probably worth doing, unfortunately it's no quite how I browse. I kind of have a genre in mind, but not an artist name, I need to see the artists or I forget whose music I have! Probably age related degeneration!! It goes like "I feel like some Jazz", hey there's XXX haven't hearn any of them for ages, oh yes, that's the album"...

How's it for you Nixpix?
(2016-01-23, 23:25)DaveBlake Wrote:
(2016-01-23, 21:20)syncd Wrote: @nixpix @DaveBlake

I'm sure that facility would be useful for some people, so if it is easy then probably worth doing, unfortunately it's no quite how I browse. I kind of have a genre in mind, but not an artist name, I need to see the artists or I forget whose music I have! Probably age related degeneration!! It goes like "I feel like some Jazz", hey there's XXX haven't hearn any of them for ages, oh yes, that's the album"...

How's it for you Nixpix?

Yup I am in the same boat as you DaveBlake! Having to search and pick an artist kind of defeats the purpose of browsing by genre/artist. If I had known from the beginning what artist I wanted to listen to I would have gone directly to that artist Wink I guess its down to having a too large library of music haha. I would say 9 times out of 10, when I am browsing my collection for what to listen to I only have a specific genre in mind, and not a clue what artist.
(2016-01-24, 01:47)nixpix Wrote: Yup I am in the same boat as you DaveBlake! Having to search and pick an artist kind of defeats the purpose of browsing by genre/artist. If I had known from the beginning what artist I wanted to listen to I would have gone directly to that artist Wink I guess its down to having a too large library of music haha. I would say 9 times out of 10, when I am browsing my collection for what to listen to I only have a specific genre in mind, and not a clue what artist.

Yes that's it, not a clue what artist I want until I see them. I just checked I have around 500 album artists not including the featured artists just on a few songs etc. and conductors, orchestras etc. or multiple artist albums. One big list in first name order and I am lost. Sad

With genre -> album, again each genre contains so many albums it is not easy to see them, especially in title order.

I don't want to listen to music with my TV on, so Kore is my primary interface to Kodi for music. I am very grateful for the good work the @syncd has done, I love Kore but of course I want more!!!
Got it, and i see your point.

Nevertheless, and even though both your opinions are different than mine, i don't think we constitute a significant sample of users. I'm not arguing that the current navigation is the correct way, but i'm not convinced that it is wrong either.

Let's keep this open. There might also be other ways that might solve your issues, but consider that one of the design goals is to keep the remote simple and easy to use.
@syncd: You could show genres -> albums and add an additional list entry called "artists" on top to let people browse by genre -> artists like I have done in my kodi remote.
Yes, letting the user decide where to navigate would work, though given the current design of the screen there's not really an "obvious" place to do it. It could be done via a menu option (maybe on the overflow menu, though it would be somewhat hidden and wouldn't be following any know navigation pattern on Android), or via a context menu on each genre.

I'm actually reconsidering showing the genres list entirely. Genres aren't really a first class entity, it's an attribute of songs/albums/artists, and their only purpose on this context is to serve as a filter, so maybe that's where they should be placed: as a filter on the album and artist lists.
My idea was that you keep the genres list as it is and when the user selects a genre he will see a list of albums. The first "album" entry would be labeled "Artists" so that the user can click it to show all Artists of that genre. Or you could just use two tabs when the user has selected a genre. One for genre-albums and one for genre-artists

Going the filter route could be more flexible by allowing the user to select multiple genres like "electro", "electronic"
@syncd I don't think there is a right or wrong way, but I am sure that people's needs vary depending on the size of their library and their memory skills (?), if nothing else. Thank you for keeping this open. If there is a way to be flexible without compromising your app then that would be good.

For me as a user simplicity is about minimal typing (having icons to click), and only a couple of pages at each level to browse through. Kodi music library UI genre > artist > album works well for me, and seems simple enough to use. Colin's ideas are interesting, that is from a user view point, I know nothing about writing apps.

My dream is for a tablet based music player UI, on which to easily browse my vast music collection and choose what to play. I just don't want my 55" TV on while I play music, a 9" tablet would do the job, although not so sure a phone is up to it. A tablet based "head" to go with headless Kodi? But that is probably a different thread Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kore - browsing music / genre0