Assassin HTPC selling Kodi bundled with banned addons
Has anyone seen this? I recently received an email with the announcement. They are apparently now selling Kodi preconfigured with banned addons. Not hardware, just the software.
(2016-01-15, 20:43)braz Wrote: Has anyone seen this? I recently received an email with the announcement. They are apparently now selling Kodi preconfigured with banned addons. Not hardware, just the software.

Maybe remove the link... so not to spam the info?
Image Lunatixz - Kodi / Beta repository
Image PseudoTV - Forum | Website | Youtube | Help?
Is it kodi?
(2016-01-15, 22:12)trogggy Wrote: Is it kodi?

its a $150 download of kodi with add-ons
I've recently learned as long as you fork Kodi, change the name and modify the code you can sell and do what you want with it. Despicable, but not illegal and apparently selectively frowned upon.
(2016-01-15, 22:13)bry- Wrote:

I think you miss my point.
Is it branded as kodi?
(2016-01-15, 22:22)trogggy Wrote:
(2016-01-15, 22:13)bry- Wrote:

Is it branded as kodi?

The name Kodi is plastered all over the site... Don't know about the actual download.
(2016-01-15, 22:25)Lunatixz Wrote:
(2016-01-15, 22:22)trogggy Wrote:
(2016-01-15, 22:13)bry- Wrote: its a $150 download of kodi with add-ons
Is it branded as kodi?

The name Kodi is plastered all over the site... Don't know about the actual download.
Then it (the site) violates the trademark even if the download doesn't.
you are not allowed to distribute kodi if it is modified in ANY way. Since you advertise its "fully customized", you are in breach of our trademark.
(2016-02-17, 20:47)Assassinhtpc Wrote: Again, we are just trying to get people into the HTPC/Kodi world. If Kodi team prefers us to skin it our under our own program then we will do so, but we were under the assumption from previous conversations they did not and personally I believe this would be counter productive. Or we can adjust the software to use another front end. None of these things I believe are in the best interest of the community.

I only weighed in to declare we support Kodi and their team in their endeavor.

I think it's a fairly common misconception that we would prefer people still call it Kodi even after they've changed it some way, because that's how closed source software works. In the closed world, if you were, for example, to take Windows, change it slightly, and rebrand it, MS would sue you almost immediately for copyright infringement. In the open world, it's exactly the opposite. If you change it even a little, you still need to leave our name in the source code and comply with the GPL, but otherwise we actually prefer that you rename it. And normally we have very positive relationships with those groups that do this. At-Visions, Alienware, and others have all gone through the renaming process and remain friends to this day.

It's possible that you thought a renaming wouldn't be appreciated because we're often adversaries of groups that rename purely so they can push piracy, but that's not at all the case. The only time we get adversarial with them is if they rename but then insist upon still pretending to offer Kodi (see previous conversations with tvaddons).

So absolutely go ahead and reskin. Or even stick with confluence and just remove the Kodi logo. It's up to you.
@Nate - not sure what difference, if any, it makes to your stance, but the Kodi build in this software isn't AFAIK vanilla, but includes Genesis and IceFilms as part of the build. This software is no different to those you mention, IMO.
sigh - this is not what he could have meant when he said he respects the developers then...
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
(2016-02-17, 19:38)Assassinhtpc Wrote: FYI.

We are offering a highly customized HTPC packaged. Kodi is one part of about a dozen different programs that the setup has that comes installed and fully configured even including library mapping, etc. Installation has an easy to use GUI etc.

Do you guys offer free legal assistance for the users since you offer pirated content if they get into trouble? since you like taking their money.
So you thought based on the popularity of shit downloads that it would be a good idea to distribute em further and drag kodi thru the mud yet again

damn dude your awesome really upstanding guy Smile // sarcasm mode on

here is a good idea make your own mediacenter include what the fuck ever in it then sell it Smile instead of just downloading someone elses work then putting shit in it and then selling it to lesser techical users making em liable for lawsuits

https://kodi.tv/the-piracy-box-sellers-a...ling-kodi/

btw soon enough you might have to do that.

" We do not promote piracy but... We historically have included add-ons based on the popularity...", Well, most of the popular add-ons are the illegal ones in case you pretend not to notice.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Assassin HTPC selling Kodi bundled with banned addons0