picture quality rasperi pi vs. nvidia ion system
Hello,

i habe a kodi running on an atom/nvidia ION 2 System for 6 years now.
Yesterday a friend brought his rasperi pie 2 Kodi Box and i noticed that the picture quality
is far worse than on my kodi.

Is this just a settings matter or does the Pie dont do any correction/upscaling(dont know how to call it).
I tried some recorings and it looked like the divx stuf from 10 years ago, same recordings looks better on my atom.

I would like to build a system for my mother and considerimg the Pie for that.

cheers
Were the recordings interlaced TV recordings? If so was it bad deinterlacing? The Pi 2 has good deinterlacing now, but for 1080i you need a small amount of overclock for the best (MMAL Advanced - which is a kind of GPU accelerated YADIF 2x) and to be running a reasonably recent build.

The Ion and Ion 2 had very good deinterlacing for their time - nVidia is usually pretty good - but I wouldn't say the Pi 2 is terrible. I'm pretty critical in picture quality terms, and used to have an Ion (Acer Revo) and don't think the Pi looks awful in comparison when setup correctly.
Hi OldOne

another possibility is your KODI version and the enabled hardware acceleration:

The picture looks way better with OMX on my pi and KODI 15 uses MMAL as default on a Pi2.

How to switch hardware acceleration:
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=...pid1900269
(2016-01-24, 11:19)noggin Wrote: The Pi 2 has good deinterlacing now, but for 1080i you need a small amount of overclock for the best (MMAL Advanced - which is a kind of GPU accelerated YADIF 2x) and to be running a reasonably recent build.

Is MMAL equivalent to YADIF or YADIF 2x? I've been using a clip to test de-interlacing of telecined content and VLC's YADIF filter looked the closest to the Pi's MMAL-Advanced setting. VLC's YADIF 2x filter was appreciably nicer than both and almost indistinguishable from its IVTC filter.

To be honest, most of these de-interlacing methods are still a gray area for me. I need to do a little reading. Do you know if MMAL is documented anywhere or is that information buried somewhere in a Google search of these forums?
By default (on auto) Pi uses YADIF 2x (advanced) for SD video, and Bob 2x for HD.
However you can manually change to advanced which means you get the YADIF 2x for SD and HD.
When using advanced deinterlacing for HD the gpu gets overclocked a little automatically.
I double checked and you're right. The good news is that the Pi does match VLC's YADIF 2x filter closest. The bad news is that YADIF 2x doesn't look nearly as nice as I remembered (but the nicest among VLC's deinterlacing options!)... :p

IVTC looks like progressive video. YADIF 2x shows interlacing artifacts on rounded letters (e.g. O's, P's) on rolling credits. YADIF looks similar, but worse to the point where the rolling credits shimmer. To be fair, this is less obvious with normal content.

The sample file is the same as the one I posted in my earlier IVTC thread, in case anyone wants to check whether or not I'm just seeing things...
(2016-01-25, 17:10)ZwartePiet Wrote:
(2016-01-24, 11:19)noggin Wrote: The Pi 2 has good deinterlacing now, but for 1080i you need a small amount of overclock for the best (MMAL Advanced - which is a kind of GPU accelerated YADIF 2x) and to be running a reasonably recent build.

Is MMAL equivalent to YADIF or YADIF 2x? I've been using a clip to test de-interlacing of telecined content and VLC's YADIF filter looked the closest to the Pi's MMAL-Advanced setting. VLC's YADIF 2x filter was appreciably nicer than both and almost indistinguishable from its IVTC filter.

To be honest, most of these de-interlacing methods are still a gray area for me. I need to do a little reading. Do you know if MMAL is documented anywhere or is that information buried somewhere in a Google search of these forums?

YADIF 2x. If you watch native interlaced content you will see that you get field-rate motion with YADIF 2x, whereas with YADIF you would only get frame-rate motion.

So 50i de-interlaced with YADIF 2x will give you 50p, whereas with YADIF it will give you 25p. For native 50i content you want 50p deinterlaced output for full motion portrayal, whereas with 25p sourced content you shouldn't see a difference between YADIF and YADIF 2x in motion portrayal terms (as the source is limited to 25p)

24p content carried 60i with 3:2 is the fly-in-the-ointment for deinterlacing - because in a very ideal world it would have pull-down removal to 48i (redundant field removal performed), deinterlace to 24p and then output at 24p or 60p with 3:2 frame (not field) repetition added. However YADIF and YADIF 2x don't do this - as they see the redundant field, as our eyes do, as jerky motion instead. I think.

3:2 isn't really an issue for lots of us in Europe (apart from Netflix viewers who often have it inflicted on us by Netflix devices that won't run at 24p) - as our TV is sourced 50i, 50p or 25p and either 2:2 or 1:1.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
picture quality rasperi pi vs. nvidia ion system0