DVD-Playback with Samsung DVD-ROM
hello, i have just installed xbmc-2004-02-12, i have an x2.2 lite in my xbox running evox 3935 with xecuter2 4980 bios.  xbmc plays avi's, vcd and svcd fine.  i have auto play enabled for dvd, but it doesn't auto boot the original dvd i put in my samsung drive.  it can read the disc, so i tried playing 1 of the vob files, it played that file but with no sound, that was the only vob file i was able to play.  when i tried the dvd play button xbmc would freeze and i would have to reset the xbox.  from the faq and searching the forums before i installed xbmc i was under the impression that it did support original dvd playback, was i wrong?  sorry if this question has been asked before, but i couldn't find any reference to it.

thank you
(glycem @ feb. 16 2004,11:39 Wrote:xbmc plays avi's, vcd and svcd fine.  i have auto play enabled for dvd, but it doesn't auto boot the original dvd i put in my samsung drive.
correct, dvd-video is currecly not supported on the samsung dvd-rom drives (i have no idea why, but i know it's a known limitation)
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
gamester17,

can you provide a little insight on this issue? is this due to firmware limitations? i read somewhere (quite a while ago) that it had to do with css decryption on the samsung drive?

any idea when a fix might be applied?

thanks...

(p.s. i just read your post again, the "i have no idea why" part made it's way through my thick skull. sorry, i blame midterms...)
Smile 
i don't think it have to do with firmware and i'm sure it can be fixed/solved in software (but again, i have not idea how)
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
just wondering what the problem is (if known) when it comes to dvd playback not working on some xboxs?

i'm one of the unlucky ones that it doesn't work with, and was curious if this is region/mb version/pal-ntsc related in anyway?
(gag reflex @ april 05 2004,16:04 Wrote:just wondering what the problem is (if known) when it comes to dvd playback not working on some xboxs?
yes it is a know issue with samsung dvd-rom drives, duo said he will try to fix it when he can. don't think it region or pal/ntsc related
my family has 3 different xbox's all with samsung drives.  we have a v1.0, v1.1, and a v1.3

all of the boxes work perfectly with any dvd movie playback inside xbmc. using 3-9-04 cvs.  i love how you can recalibrate those superwide screen movies!

it must be only certian xbox's with samsungs b/c all of mine that i have encounterd work fine.

edit: all the xbox's are ntsc. dvds i've used are mostly retail ntsc, some region free and even got a retail pal version of ken park that works just fine.
i have a pal xbox with a samsung drive (v1.1)... almost none of my dvd's (original) i have play. very annoying to stream them with ccxstream (cable through my living room). some dvd's (2) Image however play Huh maybe they're the only ones without css encryption...

greetzzzz
maybe the devs of dvd2xbox could help?
unfortunately not. i use the same code as xbmc uses. next version gets the last xbmc changes related to the function and hopefully it won't screw up Huh
however it (dvd2xbox) works with my original samsung on a pal box with the latest xbmc modifications.
when i said that some dvd's do play, i was wrong. they actually won't play without a "trick" i've found.
i started up lotr ee dvd in dvd2xbox and then did an igr an started xbmc. then it played the dvd without any problem...
so the trick is start up dvd2xbox; igr and then it plays fine... Smile it works for all dvd's.
so it's got definitely something to do with the css encryption.

greetzzzz
daywalker
i have xbox1.1 with samsung drive. i tried the trick provided by daywalker. it works!!

dvd2xbox cannot rip some of the dvds correctly with my xbox. it could be the same reason. i will test the trick and provide an update. this will probably shed some light to a final solution.
i did the test. with the trick, dvd2xbox can rip the dvd successfully.

i suspect that some setting needs to be done for the samsung drive to play dvd. is there any documentation for the dvd playing apis in xdk.
how about the samsung sd-616t/f drive. does someone have experiences with this drive? i'm planning to put one in my xbox.
greets,

zilvershadow
designer of the kmlbrowser script.
Big Grin 
hi @ll,

i have an rev1.4 xbox with smartxx and a samsung dvd with the same problem: no dvd movies in xbmc. as it works perfectly through xboxdash as player, i think there must be a software workaround for this bug.
i would relly like to be able to play my dvds from xbmc, but it would also help to reset xboxdash through the ir remote and resume to xbmc, my primary dashboard.

any hints?

:help:
Wink 
i have this problem at both samsung 616 f and t version modified for xbox.

when you put in a dvd it freezes when i take the dvd out it awakes again.

if i have a dvd inside from the start.(not autolauched by mediacenter). then press the "play dvd", it will freeze. when i press the eject button it will restart the xbox!

some original dvd titles will play (old dvds, probably the ones without protection).

all dvd titles will play perfectly in any other mediaplayer at the xbox. dvdx and original xboxdash plays all dvd titles perfectly.

is there anyone working on a fix for thisHuh :help:

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
DVD-Playback with Samsung DVD-ROM0