Beta - Artwork Beef - automatically add extended artwork

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
rmrector Offline
Donor
Artwork Beef automatically adds extra artwork for TV shows and movies into your library. It is generally intended to handle extended artwork just as Kodi and scrapers already do for basic artwork. It grabs artwork from the wonderful web services fanart.tv, TheTVDB.com, and The Movie Database.

The current version works with Kodi 17 Krypton and 16 Jarvis. 15 Isengard should mostly still work, but it's really time to update.
Source hosted on GitHub.

It fully supports series and season artwork from TheTVDB.com; movie, movie set, series, and season artwork from fanart.tv; and movie and movie set artwork from The Movie Database. For those series that really pop, high quality fanart for each episode can be added from The Movie Database.

The full list of supported artwork for movies and movie sets: poster, fanart, banner, clearlogo, landscape, clearart, discart
For series: poster, fanart, banner, clearlogo, landscape, clearart, characterart
And seasons: poster, fanart, banner, landscape
Finally, episodes: fanart

Installing

Install my dev repository to get updates delivered to you automatically. After the repo is installed, Artwork Beef can be installed from "Program add-ons". Artwork Beef can also be installed with a single zip file, but you will have to return here for updates.

Artwork Helper can be installed with this single installable zip, but it's only necessary if a skin depends on it.

Usage

Install it. Tada! It will automatically run after library updates, grabbing extended artwork for new items, much like Kodi and scraper do for info and basic artwork.

You can also run it from Program add-ons to trigger the automatic process for new or all items, or existing items that need an update; a currently running process can also be canceled here. To operate on single media items, open the context menu, then under "Manage..." there are options to automatically "Add missing artwork" or manually "Select artwork...".

Over time it will re-process media items still missing artwork, checking for new artwork from web services and the file system.

Episode fanart requires using a scraper that grabs the TheTVDB ID for each episode, like the standard TheTVDB scraper. You must enable adding episode fanart automatically by series through the add-on settings, as they add a bundle of new API calls to The Movie Database and just aren't available for many series.

There are add-on settings to specify exactly which types of artwork and how many to download automatically.

If you have multiple Kodi installations sharing a database, only enable the automatic processing on one of them. Don't use Artwork Beef's automatic processing with Artwork Downloader's full library mode. The results won't be terrible, but they'll step all over each other and take up extra time and network resources.

From NFO and image files

Artwork can be added from a standard Kodi NFO file next to your media. Add an art element to the root movie/tvshow/episodedetails/set, and its children are individual artwork tagged with the exact artwork type and a URL to the image; there is a full example in resources/example.nfo. Kodi uses this same format when exporting the library to a single file, except sets.

Artwork Beef also adds artwork from image files stored next to your media. Name them like basic Kodi artwork, replacing "fanart"/"thumb" with the exact artwork type. Kodi names artwork in this same format when exporting the library to separate files.

Movie set artwork can be pulled from a central directory (configured in the add-on settings), containing artwork named `[set name]-[art type].[ext]`, and NFO file named `[set name].nfo`. This central directory can also contain sub-directories naed exactly as the sets, with images inside named `[art type].[ext]`, NFO file named `set.nfo`. Finally, Artwork Beef can also be configured to pull set artwork from a parent directory of movies, if the directory name exactly matches the set name, with artwork named `[art type].[ext]`, NFO file named `set.nfo`. This should match artwork arranged for Movie Set Artwork Automator.

Artwork from these files aren't limited to the artwork types listed above; artwork types must be lowercase and alphanumeric, but can otherwise be freely named. The artwork type should have the exact name to be set in Kodi; for instance, multiple fanart will have one single `fanart`, one `fanart1`, one `fanart2`, and so on.

It will also pull in artwork files that match Artwork Downloader file names, in cases where they are different than the art types used in Kodi, for instance `character.png` is added as `characterart` and extrafanart are added as `fanart#`. Ditto MSAA, but only for the default filenames (`logo.png` to `clearlogo`, `folder.jpg` to `thumb`).

If you are using NFO and/or image files, use a separate directory for each movie. If you manage all of your artwork with image files and/or NFO files, the add-on setting "Auto add artwork from filesystem only" under "Advanced" will prevent the add-on from querying the web services during automatic processing, saving time and network resources.

Skin support

For the most part skins will still access images in the same Kodi standard way. Episode and season backdrops may just work, depending on how your skin accesses them when listing episodes or seasons. `$INFO[ListItem.Art(fanart)]` pulls the episode or season backdrop if it exists, otherwise Kodi falls back to the series fanart.

Extrafanart has been integrated into the library and no longer has to be in the file system, but does require skins to access them differently. Extrathumbs can be similarly integrated. Artwork Helper is a small add-on that skins can depend on to easily gather fanart/thumbs for a `multiimage` control either way. Skins should not list Artwork Beef as a dependency.

Current gotchas
  • It expects scrapers to set an IMDB number for movies, and a TVDB ID for series, like the default scrapers.
  • It cannot set artwork for "all seasons" with JSON-RPC. related trac ticket

Thoughts
  • It doesn't download any artwork, and likely never will; it just adds the URLs to Kodi's library, then Kodi downloads them as part of its regular caching process.
  • Extrathumbs aren't added from external sources. I don't want to resize backdrops/fanart from TMDB like Artwork Downloader (I much prefer to use these for multiple fanart), and generating the thumbs are outside the scope of this add-on. An external art/nfo manager could generate them. Plugins can also set these to the ListItem, if their source provides more than one thumbnail.
  • It would be nice to have a Kodi built-in way for skins to feed multiple art to a `multiimage`, maybe something like `$INFO[ListItem.MultiArt(fanart)]` to pull all `fanart` and `fanart#` together. I have no idea how it could be implemented in Kodi, though.

Those were my thoughts. What are yours? Skinners, viewers/end users, developers, anyone, I'd like to hear what you think. Please post your log file for any errors.
(This post was last modified: 2017-04-22 08:45 by rmrector.)
find quote
Martijn Offline
Team Kodi
Nice and all but i will push my updated Artwork Downloader soon to repo with all this already completely done and more.
I said I was busy with other stuff and would push everything when i was ready.
Anyway have fun with it

Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
(This post was last modified: 2016-02-05 12:26 by Martijn.)
find quote
Repoman Offline
Big Grin  RE: Artwork Beef - automatically add extended artwork
(2016-02-05 12:10)Martijn Wrote:  i will push my updated Artwork Downloader soon to repo

How soon is soon?
find quote
rmrector Offline
Donor
(2016-02-05 12:10)Martijn Wrote:  Nice and all but i will push my updated Artwork Downloader soon to repo with all this already completely done and more.
Anyway have fun with it

Cool, looking forward to it. I would have rather contributed to Artwork Downloader, but several months and not one response to multiple requests for an update made it seem clear you were uninterested.
I will continue to work on Artwork Beef while I need it, and yes, I will have fun with it. Smile
find quote
Lunatixz Online
Skilled Python Coder
(2016-02-05 21:40)rmrector Wrote:  
(2016-02-05 12:10)Martijn Wrote:  Nice and all but i will push my updated Artwork Downloader soon to repo with all this already completely done and more.
Anyway have fun with it

Cool, looking forward to it. I would have rather contributed to Artwork Downloader, but several months and not one response to multiple requests for an update made it seem clear you were uninterested.
I will continue to work on Artwork Beef while I need it, and yes, I will have fun with it. Smile

I'm still waiting for a reply from my 2014 post Wink
Hope to see your work in the repo soon Smile
(This post was last modified: 2016-02-05 21:58 by Lunatixz.)
find quote
Repoman Offline
When trying your addon I get an artwork beef error at the top left. You mentioned other python modules, which ones would I need?
find quote
rmrector Offline
Donor
Installing my dev repo to Kodi then installing Artwork Beef from there should install everything it needs.

I just got a bead on issues with Python 2.6, so if you are on Android, I'll have a fix in the repo soon. Otherwise, go ahead and post your log file, as there is probably something else going on that I will need to look at.

If you pulled the single Artwork Beef zip from the repo, you will also need script.module.lockfile, script.module.cachecontrol, and script.module.devhelper zips from the repo. Install lockfile first, then the other two, then you should be able to install Artwork Beef.
(This post was last modified: 2016-02-06 22:49 by rmrector.)
find quote
Repoman Offline
(2016-02-06 22:14)rmrector Wrote:  Installing my dev repo to Kodi then installing Artwork Beef from there should install everything it needs.

I just got a bead on issues with Python 2.6, so if you are on Android, I'll have a fix in the repo soon. Otherwise, go ahead and post your log file, as there is probably something else going on that I will need to look at.

If you pulled the single Artwork Beef zip from the repo, you will also need script.module.lockfile, script.module.cachecontrol, and script.module.devhelper zips from the repo. Install lockfile first, then the other two, then you should be able to install Artwork Beef.

I am using android with the issue, the pc one works ok.
find quote
rmrector Offline
Donor
I've fixed up these add-ons to support Python 2.6, Android, and Isengard, with updates in the repo.
find quote
DarrenHill Offline
Team-Kodi Minion
@Repoman - please read the rules concerning banned add-ons (wiki) before requesting help here. We do not support any installation that contains them as they violate our forum rules (wiki).

| Banned add-ons (wiki) | Forum rules (wiki) | First time user (wiki) | FAQs (wiki) | Troubleshooting (wiki) | Add-ons (wiki) | Free content (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki) | Free Movies/TV Shows
find quote
morstef4 Offline
Seams that you have put a hold on this. ;-(
No changes were done few days after Martijn comments.

Got any news from Martijn ?
(This post was last modified: 2016-02-25 00:00 by morstef4.)
find quote
rmrector Offline
Donor
(2016-02-24 23:56)morstef4 Wrote:  Seams that you have put a hold on this. ;-(
No changes were done few days after Martijn comments.

Got any news from Martijn ?

After 0.4.0 a couple of weeks ago, I had a bit of an existential crisis on behalf of the Beef, as I'd really like to see Kodi support all artwork as it supports basic artwork, which would cover everything I really wanted this add-on to do. A change like that in Kodi is pretty hefty, though, and well outside my C++ comfort zone, so I will likely end up coming back to this add-on in a week or so.
find quote
morstef4 Offline
Yes, I know what you mean.
I think you are right, Kodi should support them all.
find quote
rmrector Offline
Donor
I have finished up version 0.5.0, which comes with a handful of changes, the biggest is loading artwork from NFO and image files next to your media. Further details in the first post.

Add-on settings have been fleshed out, error handling has been improved, and other bits have been polished up.

I've also enabled multiple characterart to be selected. I had some fun goofing with these, like the Professor worships George Takei, or Daryl stalking zombies. It still defaults to a single image.
find quote
rmrector Offline
Donor
Version 0.6.0 is up:
Added a setting to enter a fanart.tv personal API key
Loads artwork from filesystem for stacked movies and VIDEO_TS/BDMV rips
Uses the final version of TheTVDB API v2 rather than beta
Most messages have been localized
find quote