Building visualizations
UPDATE 3: Got everything working. Steps in post #14 2239925 (post)

UPDATE 2: Ok, I guess my question is, "How do you build a .vis for imx6?"

UPDATE: Got cmake to finish by installing the following libraries. Still asking for assistance. Please see the next post. Thank you!

sudo apt-get install mesa-utils-extra
sudo apt-get install libgl1-mesa-dev
sudo apt-get install libglapi-mesa

---------------------------

Hi, would someone please point me in the right direction? Building visualizations has changed since I last tried this a year ago.

I am trying to compile a .vis for OpenELEC (imx6) on Ubuntu. I have successfully built the latest OpenELEC (imx6) in an Ubuntu VM.

So I have this folder with a built Kodi: ~/OpenELEC.tv/build.OpenELEC-imx6.arm-7.0-devel/kodi-16.0-rc3-34d1e49

And I have this folder with a git cloned Waveform vis: ~/visualization.waveform

I edited kodi-config.cmake to include looking into ~/OpenELEC.tv/build.OpenELEC-imx6.arm-7.0-devel/kodi-16.0-rc3-34d1e49/project/cmake/scripts/common so that it finds addon-helpers. Then I tried the following cmake:

Code:
cmake -DADDONS_TO_BUILD=visualization.waveform -DADDON_SRC_PREFIX=~/ -DPACKAGE_ZIP=1 -DCMAKE_PREFIX_PATH=~/OpenELEC.tv/build.OpenELEC-imx6.arm-7.0-devel/kodi-16.0-rc3-34d1e49/project/cmake -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=~/OpenELEC.tv/build.OpenELEC-imx6.arm-7.0-devel/kodi-16.0-rc3-34d1e49/addons

It fails, complaining about rendering API:

Code:
-- Checking to see if CXX compiler accepts flag -flto
-- Checking to see if CXX compiler accepts flag -flto - yes
-- Could NOT find OpenGL (missing:  OPENGL_gl_LIBRARY OPENGL_INCLUDE_DIR)
-- checking for module 'glesv2'
--   package 'glesv2' not found
-- Could NOT find OpenGLES2 (missing:  OPENGLES2_INCLUDE_DIRS OPENGLES2_gl_LIBRARY OPENGLES2_egl_LIBRARY)
CMake Error at CMakeLists.txt:51 (message):
  No rendering API found.  Bailing

-- Configuring incomplete, errors occurred!
See also "/home/ubuntu/visualization.waveform/CMakeFiles/CMakeOutput.log".

Any idea what the cmake line should be? Or how to trick it into choosing the right rendering API? Again, I'm trying to compile the .vis for imx6, which is a different platform than what I'm building on. Thank you!
After cmake completes, I ran make and got the following output:

Code:
Scanning dependencies of target visualization.waveform
[100%] Building CXX object CMakeFiles/visualization.waveform.dir/src/Main.cpp.o
/home/ubuntu/visualization.waveform/src/Main.cpp:24:26: fatal error: xbmc_vis_dll.h: No such file or directory
#include <xbmc_vis_dll.h>
                          ^
compilation terminated.
CMakeFiles/visualization.waveform.dir/build.make:54: recipe for target 'CMakeFiles/visualization.waveform.dir/src/Main.cpp.o' failed
make[2]: *** [CMakeFiles/visualization.waveform.dir/src/Main.cpp.o] Error 1
CMakeFiles/Makefile2:91: recipe for target 'CMakeFiles/visualization.waveform.dir/all' failed
make[1]: *** [CMakeFiles/visualization.waveform.dir/all] Error 2
Makefile:137: recipe for target 'all' failed
make: *** [all] Error 2

What's the right way to tell make where to look for the include files? That particular include file is in ~/OpenELEC.tv/sources/kodi/kodi-16.0-rc3-34d1e49/xbmc/addons/include
sudo apt-get install kodi-visualizations-dev
and you do understand you're not bulding for oe i assume?
ironic_monkey, I got that feeling. Any pointers on how to build for OpenELEC imx6?
*removed to focus on the main problem of figuring out how to build for OpenELEC imx6.*
well for starters you cannot build using host tools! you have to build in the openelec crossbuild. many many examples in https://github.com/OpenELEC/OpenELEC.tv/...ary-addons
Thank you. I'll check it out.

Back to the Ubuntu "host." I was able to make waveform, but it results in a blank screen. And instead of .vis, it's a .so.1.0.16 extension. Other visualizations work. What info should I be looking at to figure out how to build it correctly so it works?
yes, the stupid .vis renaming has been removed. i dunno, for me it's dead simple.

1) add kodi ppa
2) install kodi-visualization-dev
3) build and install.
You make it sound so nice. I've spent hours and hours on this... What distro are you using?
I cloned https://github.com/notspiff/visualization.waveform again and it worked. I was able to build for Ubuntu 15.04 x86 and see the visualization.

Now on to imx6...
and to answer your question i typically use ubuntu 14.04 amd64 these days.
By the way, the last round was nice and easy. Thank you! When it starts working, it works extremely well.
Done! For those interested, here is the summary of what I had to do. Example commands in parenthesis.

1) Get a working Ubuntu VM. Recommend ironic_monkey's suggestion of 14.04.
2) Git clone a working visualization to anywhere. I put it in ~. (git clone https://github.com/notspiff/visualization.waveform.git)
3) Follow these instructions to build OpenELEC on your host system for your target system. I.e., you have to successfully execute a command like "PROJECT=imx6 ARCH=arm make image".
4) While all the OpenELEC stuff is building, make a new directory for your new visualization. (mkdir ~/visualization.wavforhue)
5) Copy the contents of the working vis to the new vis (cp ~/visualization.waveform/* ~/visualization.wavforhue/)
6) Change all the references in visualization.wavforhue from the old vis to your new vis. There are a lot of these! File names, directories, strings.po, addon.xml.in, etc. E.g., I had to change every instance of WAVEFORM to WAVFORHUE, visualization.waveform to visualization.wavforhue, Waveform, to WavforHue.
7) Do your development.
8) Create a .tar.xz archive of your new vis. (tar cfJ visualization.wavforhue-0.0.2.tar.xz visualization.wavforhue) I actually don't know if that command will work. I did my development in Windows.
9) Upload your archive to a webserver. E.g, http://www.thomasmhardy.com/static/devel...0.2.tar.xz
10) Hopefully your OpenELEC build is done by now. Create a folder for you binary addon in the OpenELEC structure. (mkdir ~/OpenELEC.tv/packages/mediacenter/kodi-binary-addons/visualization.wavforhue)
11) Copy a working package.mk to your new vis package directory (cp ~/OpenELEC.tv/packages/mediacenter/kodi-binary-addons/visualization.waveform/package.mk ~/OpenELEC.tv/packages/mediacenter/kodi-binary-addons/visualization.wavforhue/)
12) Modify that copied package.mk with the new vis details including the URL where you uploaded your archive. E.g., PKG_NAME="visualization.wavforhue", PKG_VERSION="0.0.2", PKG_SITE="http://www.thomasmhardy.com/static", PKG_URL="http://www.thomasmhardy.com/static/devel/$PKG_NAME-$PKG_VERSION.tar.xz", PKG_SHORTDESC="visualization.wavforhue", PKG_LONGDESC="visualization.wavforhue".
13) You're ready to build! Run the appropriate create_addon script from ~/OpenELEC.tv. (PROJECT=imx6 ARCH=arm scripts/create_addon visualization.wavforhue)

With luck, your addon was built. But most likely something failed and you'll have to troubleshoot. To clean up the files created by create_addon, run commands like these:
PROJECT=imx6 ARCH=arm scripts/clean visualization.wavforhue
rm -fr sources/visualization.wavforhue
rm -fr target/addons/7.0/imx6/arm/visualization.wavforhue

14) Once you successfully build your vis, a .zip is available in the target directory. E.g., ~/OpenELEC.tv/target/addons/7.0/imx6/arm/visualization.wavforhue/visualization.wavforhue-0.0.2.zip

You can then use this file to go to Settings -> Addons -> Install from .zip.
Trouble I ran into:
-I edited strings.po in Windows. Kodi did not like that. Editing in Ubuntu fixed the problem.
-I use a year old dev version of OpenELEC because the hue.ambilight / boblight stuff doesn't work with new versions. So I had to modify addon.xml to point to visualization.wavforhue.vis instead of visualization.wavforhue.so and change that file name from visualization.wavforhue.so to visualization.wavforhue.vis before I could install the plugin.
-I had to restart my target system every time I tried to install or uninstall the addon.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Building visualizations0