Win HOW TO - Set up madVR for Kodi DSPlayer & External Players
Good evening all,

Firstly, @Warner306, thank you immensely for the guide. Most of it is over my head, but I have come so far and am enjoying stunning images and happy operation of Kodi and madVR thanks to you. Since using madVR it feels like I have a new projector, the improvement is that great.

I have the strangest issue with my JVC X7900 projector which seems tied to my operation of Kodi. I tried Googling but I cannot find any other mention of my problem online. JVC are investigating the issues but I fear I will have to sesnd my PJ in for service.

I have been having this iris issue I think for a short while now. I use THX mode as my default picture mode. The issue appears to be with some or all picture modes as I just tested it and it occurs with the Animation picture mode, too. When set to Auto 1 or 2, no matter what iris step, 0 or -1 or -5 etc, going into the Kodi (media player) home screen will sometimes, more often than not, clamp the iris down lower and make the image considerably darker/ sometimes not. I use Kodi in fullscreen. I do not use FSE mode. I am able to come in and out of Kodi easily by using Alt Tab. After the iris clamps down, coming back out of Kodi, the image remains as dark as it was when in Kodi. And then manually changing the Iris back to 0, it is as bright as it always in on 0. However, the jump in brightness from -1 to 0 is now sudden and steep (at default/ before, the difference is slight and gradual, as it is for all of the other iris steps). This means that -1 is darker than it usually is/ was before. So, the iris settings from -15 to 0 now seem out of step. I have to drop the iris all the way down to -15 and all the way back up for the light output to be how it usually is, as in, gradual, where -1 to 0 is a similar change as between all the other steps. Once I reset the iris, the issue can still occur from within Kodi still open, for example when bringing up a certain menu and the Kodi screen goes darker then back brighter, it will trigger the iris issue in which the iris clamps down considerably and then -1 to 0 is a big jump.

I have to manually 'unlock' this sharp increase in light from -1 to 0 and get the brightness back to what looks normal at any setting, by going all the way down to -15 and back to 0, every time. I wonder if my iris is starting to fail. Or, could it be high lamp usage? I am at 2810 hours typing. But surely, lamp time should not effect the iris. It never did with my X5000. Could Kodi be the culprit here? I don't see why or what it might be doing to cause the iris to behave like this, though...

Just testing some more and I can also reset the iris to default smooth increments (light output between -1 and 0 not being so drastic) by dropping to -15 and back to 0 from within Kodi/ whilst displaying the Kodi home screen. The odd iris behaviour does not happen if left on manual. So, perhaps the JVC is at fault.

Tested some more and the issue occurs also when loading a film up and everything dims. -1 becomes darker than it was before and 0 is much brighter than -1. Resetting it whilst playing a film and then setting it back to Auto 2 and a random setting like -5, the iris does not appear to function at all.

The issue is definitely intermittent, as this morning a few goes loading and stopping a film in Kodi, the iris and DI were normal. But tonight, it was fine about twice, starting and stopping a film, but then when I stopped the film a further time, the iris clamped down again. I had to reset it by dropping all the way down to -15 and back to 0 again.

Has anyone experienced this issue. It is so mind-boggingly strange - and extremely frustrating and upsetting - because it only happens when using Kodi. Could it be the manner in which the projector is speaking to my PC/ Kodi?

Kind thanks,

fallinlight

Messages In This Thread
no image doubling tap - by oxynaz - 2016-12-13, 13:44
RE: HOW TO - Set up madVR for Kodi DSPlayer & External Players - by fallinlight - 2019-10-17, 21:18
Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HOW TO - Set up madVR for Kodi DSPlayer & External Players5