Call to Arms: Combatting Trademark Infringement
(2016-02-12, 02:36)trogggy Wrote:
(2016-02-12, 02:27)keith Wrote:
(2016-02-12, 02:22)trogggy Wrote: You lose a little bit more goodwill when you take my post and assume that I'm using 3rd party sites or anything else that's banned here.
If I don't like the policy should I shut up?
We will never go after users. We assume, correctly, that the people who are using our trademarked name are in violation and will respond thusly. As MrMC said, if we don't defend our trademark, we lose it.

We are taking a sledgehammer approach to all of the guys who are abusing our trademark, especially the guys making money off it and providing stuff we do not agree with. Then we will revise to what we feel is right.

I don't agree to your policy on arbitrarily 'banning' the use of Kodi in a website name irrespective of the website content.
And I don't believe you have any legal basis for doing that.
I understand that you don't want kodi associated with piracy.
I'd support any action you take against a site or seller that is passing themselves off as an official kodi site.
But saying something's 'not allowed' is for a court.

I've said the same thing for a long time, trogggy. A couple of years ago (when I was still a member of the team) I even tried to encourage a program that would allow fansites to use the name Kodi in a specific format, that would still allow us to revoke that right to people who abused the situation, even though they probably wouldn't need our approval from a legal standpoint (as it would only be allowed in situations that don't cause any confusion, etc). Trademark law only covers so much, and it is not ownership over the word "kodi". It could easily bite the project in the ass to be too aggressive, and many people who are still in Team Kodi feel that way. As long as there is, you don't have to worry about the Kodi project going all crazy.

That being said, most of the statements being said by Keith aren't for you or I. They're for the people out there who don't know any better. The people who don't understand why bootleg video services being associated with Kodi is a bad thing. So they're simplistic, they're black and white. We all know the actual law is far more complicated than that.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Call to Arms: Combatting Trademark Infringement - by Ned Scott - 2016-02-12, 12:30
Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Call to Arms: Combatting Trademark Infringement23