Call to Arms: Combatting Trademark Infringement
(2016-03-22, 01:43)kduser35 Wrote: I understand your plight but this is not the way trademark law works. Since KODI first posted its Call to Arms nearly a couple of months ago, users have provided KODI with dozens of YouTube channels with clear violations. There is no confusing videos with titles such as "Watch HBO with KODI". If a pattern emerges where trademark notices are not filed or enforced, KODI will lose its right to enforce its trademark period. Those of us who respected your trademark rights have deleted thousands of videos, and we're not seeing serious enforcement of violating channels. As stated in this forum by several KODI team members, video makers need to disassociate the KODI name with pirated content. How can we help you get this goal?

First, I am not a member of Team Kodi. I am in charge of the official Kodi wiki and I help out in the forums, that is all. Just to make that clear.

The XBMC Foundation, who controls the Kodi-related trademarks, understands trademark law very well. They even have lawyers from the awesome Software Freedom Law Center.

It doesn't matter how many videos you report, nor does it matter how many videos the XBMC Foundation/ Kodi project reports. Google/YouTube is the only entity that can actually take the videos down. Kodi will not lose the Kodi trademark just because Google is slow. Trademark law only requires the Kodi project to take action, which they are doing, as they are notified of offending videos. If it becomes an issue then Google/YouTube can directly be held accountable, but I seriously doubt that such a point has been reached yet. Trademark law does account for the fact that people are not wizards, and can only do so much to defend their trademark. There are only so many hours in a day. The law is not meant to be a burden, but a form of protection.

EDIT: To clarify, I am a "retired" member of Team Kodi.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Call to Arms: Combatting Trademark Infringement - by Ned Scott - 2016-03-22, 04:29
Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Call to Arms: Combatting Trademark Infringement23