Does Tvheadend support skip,FF,RW?
I have been using Mediaportal TV Server for a long time with kodi.
Everything is working almost perfectly.
I wanted to try tvheadend as a backend , to get rid of windows on my TV-server.
Everything works fine, timeshifting is enabled, channel switching is fast,I can pause,resume.
The only problem I have is that I cannot skip back,forward, and options
for FastForward and ReWind are greyed out?
Are these options working for anyone ?
Clients tested:
- Raspberry PI 1/2 with openelec 5.03/6.0/6.01
- Windows PC with kodi 15.2/16 RC3
Servers tested:
- Tvheadend that comes with KodiBuntu by default (version 3. something)
- Tvheadend that comes with Openelec 6.0, 6.01 (I think it's 4.something)
Skip works more or less OK here. (If I skip a lot in a short time, the stream stops or gets garbled, but normal skipping is fine.) I don't know about FF/RW, because I find skipping to be much easier and faster, also with regular videos.

You need a recent version of tvheadend. 3.x is definitely too old. In 4.1.x a lot of changes have been made in January that make timeshifting a bit more reliable. So the older 4.x versions are also pretty frustrating. I think Openelec 6.01 has a 4.0.x version, so you may want to update to the most recent version. I don't know how that works in Openelec.

Some more info: http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=249463
I have the latest build (i386) OF TVHeadend and FF, RWD, skip etc work fine. You only really have problems if you have network/processor lag during playback.
(2016-02-13, 10:36)milanp Wrote: I have been using Mediaportal TV Server for a long time with kodi.
Everything is working almost perfectly.
I wanted to try tvheadend as a backend , to get rid of windows on my TV-server.
Everything works fine, timeshifting is enabled, channel switching is fast,I can pause,resume.
The only problem I have is that I cannot skip back,forward, and options
for FastForward and ReWind are greyed out?
Are these options working for anyone ?
Clients tested:
- Raspberry PI 1/2 with openelec 5.03/6.0/6.01
- Windows PC with kodi 15.2/16 RC3
Servers tested:
- Tvheadend that comes with KodiBuntu by default (version 3. something)
- Tvheadend that comes with Openelec 6.0, 6.01 (I think it's 4.something)
Do you have the EPG data completed? Same thing happened to me until I finished the EPG setup.
Thanks for the replies. But this situation with Tvheadned is driving me nuts.
I have tried almost all combinations from Openelec 5.03/6.0/6.01 with 3 different types of DVB-C cards.
Also tried prebuilt versions from http://build.mycvh.de/
And no results, I can pause/play but cannot skip forward/back.
Can somebody post which combination is working:
- TV Headend Server version build.
- Version of pvr.hts plugin.
- list of changes to default settings on the plugin/server.
Meanwhile I managed to setup MythTV and so far, so good. Everything works as expected.
But I want tvheadend, because it's much lighter on the system requirements, looks much better, channel switching is faster,
and generally I don't need all the mythtv options just for tv.
@doug
You were right.
It seems that TVheadend by design disables skip forward/backward,fastforward,rewind if there's no EPG data.
I imported the xmltv, and unfortunately for me the options I need work like these:
1. If there's EPG data for the channel, you can skip forward/backward,fastforward,rewind, pause,play
2. If there's NO EPG data for the channel, you can only pause/play, all other options are unavailable
Because I live in a country where I can't get data for all the channels, this is unacceptable for me.
This not the behaviour of other tv backends like Mediaportal, MythTV, Argus.
Kodi is perfect, if there could be at least one Linux TV backend as good as Kodi, I'll be in heaven.
So I am giving up on TVheadend.
Thanks to everybody for their suggestions.
Not being able at all to skip ff etc if there are no epg data for the channel is a bug in Kodi. To my knowledge tvh does not enable/disable timeshift dependent on the presence of epg data. The before mentioned Kodi bug is already fixed for Kodi Krypton, btw.
(2016-02-17, 20:17)ksooo Wrote: Not being able at all to skip ff etc if there are no epg data for the channel is a bug in Kodi. To my knowledge tvh does not enable/disable timeshift dependent on the presence of epg data. The before mentioned Kodi bug is already fixed for Kodi Krypton, btw.

If it's a bug in Kodi, why does it work with other TV backends ?
Using Mediaportal or MythTV TV backend, I can skip back,forward,fastforward,rewind with Kodi used as a frontend.
Also if you look above, timeshifting works. The proof that it works is that I can press pause,then play, and the video stream continues from the point being paused.
On the other hand, you could be right. I tried VDR in my quest for Linux PVR backend, and if I remember correctly,
the behaviour was the same as TV Headend. Will try Krypton nightlies just to check.
I doubt that it works with other backends. Why? Because I know the related Kodi source code pretty well and I'm the one who fixed the mentioned bug some days ago. But please keep in mind, I was talking exclusively about channels without epg data here. Otoh there is couple of general timeshifting problems, most of them backend dependent. And caused by the backend itself. So, please don't mix issues here.
I am not mixing the issues. Here's the proof:
https://youtu.be/WtZtJNa-yWo
Openelec 6.01 with standard MP client installed on PC + Mediaportal TV server 1.13 TV Backend. (v1.12.0.131 server plugin).

You can clearly see:
- No EPG on the active channel,
- Skip forward,back works
- FastForward , Rewind works.
- A total of around 2 minutes of streaming from that channel was in the buffer, but it makes no difference.
My wife does not use recording, she uses pause on live-tv, goes out for 2-3 hours, and then resumes the playback on
this very channel (NO EPG). When she comes back, resumes the playback and manually skips the commercials.
So the WAF is preety high.
And it has been the same for me since I migrated from all-house Mediaportal only to Kodi-Front + Mediaportal backend.
I don't have any problems as described. You surely know what you did, but for me, there was nothing to be fixed for Mediaportal backend.
I have installed mythtv server + openelec in my office, and tomorrow I will post another video with the same test, but 99% I believe that the results will be the same , MythTV as backend will work the same as the video above.
Kodi is a great product. I have been playing with HTPC's since the early 2000's (Look at my join date to this forum).
I am more of reader, than a person who asks things that are already answered.
If there's something I can test, in order to help , please ask.
Home installation is mixed from 3 x Android tablets, 2 x Apple mini(OSX) , windows PC's (Windows 7-10) , openelec on PC's +
1 raspberry PI1 + 1 raspberry PI2. So I can test on many platforms.
@Jalle19 I think the different behavior of the mediaportal add-on compared to the tvheadend add-on is related to the fact that the tvh add-on has its own demuxer where mp add-on has not. Makes sense?
@milanp when testing mythtv could you do me a favor and check wether toggling the add-on setting "Enable demuxing MPEG-TS" makes a difference? I expect that skip ff etc will work if you set this to false (which is the default btw) and that it will not work if you set it to true (or off, whatever it might be called actually).
@milanp and last, I really would be interested in the behavior of Kodi Krypton nightly + latest tvh add-on + recent tvheadend master. Thanks for your support.
Smile 
@ksooo
My mother taught to never lie. :-)
Here's link to the test with mythtv
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xsQKb-WZdXk
As I told you , it works the same as Mediaportal.
I made the clip earlier, and I am currently out of the office.
I don't have time now, but I will try what you requested, and post back later.
(2016-02-18, 09:09)ksooo Wrote: @milanp when testing mythtv could you do me a favor and check wether toggling the add-on setting "Enable demuxing MPEG-TS" makes a difference? I expect that skip ff etc will work if you set this to false (which is the default btw) and that it will not work if you set it to true (or off, whatever it might be called actually).

@ks*
I tested the MythTV client on both Windows PC and Raspberry PI.
1. Raspberry PI 2 - Running OE 6.01
I changed the setting for MythTV and something strange happened.
Raspberry PI could not find the MythTV server.
Rebooted the RPI, disabled TV, rebooted, enabled TV, disable/enable MythTV client
Changed "Enable demuxing MPEG-TS" again, and it could not find the server.
Rebooted the RPI, disabled TV, rebooted, enabled TV, disable/enable MythTV client
After I uinstalled the MythTV pvr client and installed it again from the repo, it started working with default settings.
2. Windows 10 PC with Kodi 15.2
Changing "Enable demuxing MPEG-TS" disables the buttons for FF/RW, and skip forward/back on channels with EPG.
So with this change, MythTV acts the same as TVHeadend on channels w/o EPG, so no skip forward/back fastforward,rewind.
Changing Enable demuxing MPEG-TS" to default enables skip forward/back fastforward,rewind on MythTV PVR Client.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Does Tvheadend support skip,FF,RW?0