need device recommendations (with caveats)
Question 
Hi,
I've been reading around the forum (what a great community Cool ) for a bit but I need suggestions with specific caveats.

All recommendations are welcome (also if there are other threads in the forum I'm glad to read through those as well if you can post the links).

Past: I have a Lenovo q190 but the fan has conked out. The device was never released where I live, so it's impossible to get it serviced. (Currently waiting for parts from aliexpress but not very hopeful.)

Future: Huh
So here are my plans/issues:
1. Prefer to use windows, but not strictly necessary (I think I can find my way around openelec or kodibuntu).
2. Need to be able to decode 1080p MKV files.
3. Don't want/need 4K support.
4. Don't need IR remote (have bluetooth keyboard)
5. Don't want a separate NAS (I rarely keep a backlog of all my video, usually delete older stuff as HD gets full; I have a 4TB external which I will connect to the box.)
6. Not too big, not noisy. (I want a box that can live in the TV unit in the living room (black preferred)).
7. All parts need to be available on Amazon.co.uk (location, location, location)
8. Having two small RAM slots would be a plus, since that would mean I can re-use my 4GB ram and just add another 4GB.
9. Support for 2.5" drive for OS.
10. Mildly future-proof; want to be able to change/add RAM or SSD etc in the future so that the machine lasts me 2-3 years (at which point I guess I can get a new system with 4K/3D or whatever new technology available).

I've been eyeing the Intel NUCs; but with so many variants I'm having difficulty picking the right price-benefit point.

Side question: Does openelec/kodibuntu have apps or extensions that can automatically download torrents from RSS feeds?

Many thanks in advance for all your help.

::EDIT:: I also don't need any optical drives.
Personally, and tossing half your requirements out the window, I would buy a really cheap Windows box like the Beelink BT3. It seems like you don't have much requirements nowadays, and when that changes you can then spend more money a few years down the line. The processor isn't particularly beefy, but I don't think you need more.

Anyway in this Braswell thread are a few more options that you might like more. These are low energy, efficient, not very powerful chips but they will decode all codecs you throw at them.
For Windows OS and 2.5 slot look into the HP Stream mini and Zotac Zbox BI320 (threads out there). Not sure about the RAM slots... Those used to be popular since it had the same CPU as the Chromebox. Also check the Braswell as mentioned earlier and Tronsmart Ara X5
AFTV (non-rooted + Kodi)
WD My Book Live NAS
Thanks for the recommendations guys..

I hope I can fix my current computer because the suggestions you've given are very similar to my existing device.. If that fails I might get a zbox (those things a dime a dozen where I live)..

Or maybe look into the chromebox devices again.. we'll see.

thanks

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
need device recommendations (with caveats)0