[split;OT rant] WeTek Core (24p HD Netflix / Android Lollipop / OpenELEC / 4K / HEVC)
(2016-02-27, 10:01)dukester Wrote: .... runs certain amlogic devices through the mud while touting the abilities of the Wetek devices (even when they are virtually identical and supported by the same guy)....

There is a big difference between the firmware and support running on the Wetek devices and those of other AMLogic devices.
I'm pretty sure the firmware for all AMLogic devices isn't provided by the same person/people that produces it for the Core.
If you look at the firmware releases from Wetek vs. other companies using AMLogic devices you will notice a huge difference in the level of support and number of bug fixes/releases. All that Wrxtasy has ever stated is that that is a significant deciding factor in picking the right box, be the support coming from Nvidia, Google, Wetek or Minix (I'm not really aware of many other manufactures that other that same level of support, well maybe Amazon, for their firmware).
Now its great that Wetek et al have been open with their Kodi development and even better that other AMLogic devices can take advantage of it, but that doesn't mean all AMLogic devices are now equal, can you get refresh rate switching on your generic Chinese AMLogic device in Netflix for example?
(2016-02-27, 18:21)jakejm79 Wrote:
(2016-02-27, 10:01)dukester Wrote: .... runs certain amlogic devices through the mud while touting the abilities of the Wetek devices (even when they are virtually identical and supported by the same guy)....

There is a big difference between the firmware and support running on the Wetek devices and those of other AMLogic devices.
I'm pretty sure the firmware for all AMLogic devices isn't provided by the same person/people that produces it for the Core.
If you look at the firmware releases from Wetek vs. other companies using AMLogic devices you will notice a huge difference in the level of support and number of bug fixes/releases. All that Wrxtasy has ever stated is that that is a significant deciding factor in picking the right box, be the support coming from Nvidia, Google, Wetek or Minix (I'm not really aware of many other manufactures that other that same level of support, well maybe Amazon, for their firmware).
Now its great that Wetek et al have been open with their Kodi development and even better that other AMLogic devices can take advantage of it, but that doesn't mean all AMLogic devices are now equal, can you get refresh rate switching on your generic Chinese AMLogic device in Netflix for example?

Im guessing its a no go for netflix auto refresh rate switching on other amlogic devices right? Why would you challenge me to answer that when you know the answer.. lol. Can you decode 10 bit 4K HEVC on your Core, No? it must suck too then by your logic.

BTW. The device i spoke about when you quoted me actually is unofficially supported by a Wetek dev who is possibly the new Kodi android dev too?? and also does builds for other generic chinese amlogic devices as well.
wanna see?

https://github.com/codesnake/OpenELEC.tv/releases
Main System - HTPC - Intel I3 6300 - Asrock z170 - 16 GB DDR4 - 128gb SSD - 65" UHD HDR Sony Android TV - Pioneer VSX 1130-K - 7.2.2 speakers
Other devices currently in use - 55" 3D UHD LG TV - 2 Fire TV's - Nexus Player - MiniMX s905 - Voyo Vmac Mini
Ubuntu Server - 12 TB NAS - MYSQL - Torrent Box
unsubscribe
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2016-02-27, 20:06)dukester Wrote:
(2016-02-27, 18:21)jakejm79 Wrote:

Im guessing its a no go for netflix auto refresh rate switching on other amlogic devices right? Why would you challenge me to answer that when you know the answer.. lol. Can you decode 10 bit 4K HEVC on your Core, No? it must suck too then by your logic.

BTW. The device i spoke about when you quoted me actually is unofficially supported by a Wetek dev who is possibly the new Kodi android dev too?? and also does builds for other generic chinese amlogic devices as well.
wanna see?

https://github.com/codesnake/OpenELEC.tv/releases

The key word there is unofficially, you said it yourself. When given the option of buying something officially supported by the manufacturer (Wetek) or unofficially by a community member I'd know which I would purchase and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the same to anyone else.
Also I don't see codesnake offering Android firmware support for any of those generic Chinese boxes, Wetek is offering official support of both OE and Android.
I hope mods will clean OT.
Its weird how someone like that would take the time to support such inferior crappy hardware still after all this time isnt it?

put on those tin foil hats guys because if you really think about it, if it wasnt for those cheap so called junky devices and the aweseome amlogic work that Codesnake did before there was a Wetek he probably wouldnt be working for Wetek, and if he wasnt working for Wetek we probably wouldnt have a new kodi android dev, and no new kodi dev would mean no new amlogic developments that are currently coming down the pipe from him.. SO really everyone just owes it to mbox and emy or whatever cubicle company released those devices that Codesnake first woked with. if it wasnt for them we (amlogic users) could have been up the creek without a paddle.Wink
Main System - HTPC - Intel I3 6300 - Asrock z170 - 16 GB DDR4 - 128gb SSD - 65" UHD HDR Sony Android TV - Pioneer VSX 1130-K - 7.2.2 speakers
Other devices currently in use - 55" 3D UHD LG TV - 2 Fire TV's - Nexus Player - MiniMX s905 - Voyo Vmac Mini
Codesnake release builds for those boxes just because WeTek have nothing against that which tells more about WeTek philosophy and what kind of company we are. Be unofficially supported and officially supported is big difference, even if You dont want to admit that.

What you have against WeTek I really dont know, but for sure time will tell.

Again I hope mods will clean OT.

P.S: it would be more useful from your side if you do with same energy like you are doing this, to push those chinese manufacturers to donate some money to Kodi project and to help development, because at end whole their strategy to sell their devices is based only and only Kodi, as they dont invest money in se development nor DRM nor licenses.
(2016-02-27, 20:47)droidelec Wrote: Codesnake release builds for those boxes just because WeTek have nothing against that which tells more about WeTek philosophy and what kind of company we are. Be unofficially supported and officially supported is big difference, even if You dont want to admit that.

What you have against WeTek I really dont know, but for sure time will tell.

Again I hope mods will clean OT.

I have nothing against Wetek..i brought up codesnake to relay the exact message you just did.. Other amlogic devices can be good also, and i think we both agree on that. this all started when i asked a simple question about if the HD audio work was included in the kodi nightlies.. and why wrxtasy had made that "silly" (now removed by him) "if i was the owner post" Some of the stuff he says brings a negative light upon your companyy and if the last 20 or so posts arent clear enough to see that i dont know what to say. Like i said beofre maybe its just the sour feeling i get from reading all the negativity about amlogic devices on here but i really feel better supporting other companies currently even if i can get a better officially supported device.
Dukester, you're as bad as those guys who think all ARM boxes are crap because they look at specs alone and compare them to an x86 box. These are purpose-built appliances, and most set-top hardware does not get a new chip every year (cable boxes, game consoles, rokus, etc). Is the Core for everyone? No. Can some people meet their needs with some no-name box that is cheaper? Sure. Is the Core worth the extra cost for the 1080 Netflix, better support, and being legal to buy in most of the world? For some people, yes. For you, no. Move on. There's no conspiracy, there's no smear campaign.

It's okay to disagree with me, but now you're disrupting other discussions, and that is not okay.
by disrupting im taking it you mean defending my opinions then that sounds good to me and ill move on, i just asked for clarification on a specific Kodi feature, i got an answer along with others who decided to give thier input on bunch of BS spoken from a bunch of people about GPL and support and the rest of the non sense in the last 3 pages. i didnt start anything i only replied when comments are directed at me.
Wow!
Wow!
Wow!

I just asked one question and you guys took it to a whole new level.
MY CURRENT MEDIA PLAYER | MY HOME THEATER
MINIX NEO U22-XJ COREELEC v19 MATRIX | EGREAT A10 | NVIDIA SHIELD | LG 75 NANO90 DV/HDR+ | Sony 43 Android TV HDR
XBOX SERIES X  | PS4 PRO 4K | JBL 9.1 System 5.1.4 DTS:X/ATMOS 
(2016-02-27, 22:57)dukester Wrote: by disrupting im taking it you mean defending my opinions
Your opinions do not mean jack shit here. It's time to move on from this Wetek thread. For Christ's sake, you stated that you do not even own one. Please leave us in peace! The Kodi forums do not need such negativity.
Can the mod close this thread?

Thanks!
MY CURRENT MEDIA PLAYER | MY HOME THEATER
MINIX NEO U22-XJ COREELEC v19 MATRIX | EGREAT A10 | NVIDIA SHIELD | LG 75 NANO90 DV/HDR+ | Sony 43 Android TV HDR
XBOX SERIES X  | PS4 PRO 4K | JBL 9.1 System 5.1.4 DTS:X/ATMOS 

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[split;OT rant] WeTek Core (24p HD Netflix / Android Lollipop / OpenELEC / 4K / HEVC)0