v16 Black screen/Flickering playback
Hey guys,

i hope someone can help me - yesterday i've updated kodi from Isengard to Jarvis and now i have problems at video playback (audio works fine though)

For example:

When i try to start a movie the video is flickering really fast like there were small gaps between each frame.
Same thing happens when i start an epsiode of a tv show but sometimes the screen stays complete black and i only hear
the audio.

Maybe relevant for this problem is that i can't use DXVA2 because i have an Intel Core i3-530 "Clarkdale" with known issues at hardware-acceleration (Artefact/Blockbuilding at h264 encoded videofiles) so i'm stuck at software acceleration.

My system details
Thanks in advance for any help - i'm really clueless what to do except a rollback to isengard Sad

P.S.: I'm sorry if a forgot something important or the issue description is too confusing - just let me know if you need to know some additional infos to help me Smile
Try software rendering variant and turn off de-interlacing. This looks like a gfx driver issue, and until there is some sort of fix, you might be better off with 15.2 Read through this and see if there's anything applicable.
Hey,

thanks for the reply! Smile

I tried the following things, unfortunately non of them helped:
  • turned off de-interlacing
  • tried dxva2 with software rendering -> i think that would solve the problem but as said i can't watch any h264 encoded file then without tons of artefacts Undecided
  • resetted all of my settings to default

I also reinstalled a complete blank version of Jarvis, just in case some old addons caused the problem but the flickering/black screen was still there.

Maybe interesting is the fact, that the first video i start plays fine while the second one gets the flickering problem - i tried this at some shows each time after a restart of kodi and the effect was always the same.
In the past most of your symptoms have been gfx hardware related. I would search out driver solutions and if you ever had a stable Kodi version I would be tempted to move to it until the dust settles. Keep and eye out in these forums for a fix if ever it should arrive.

As a parting thought, MS windows is not the only o/s that supports Kodi, I might be tempted by a Linux build.
Quote:Intel Core i3-530 "Clarkdale"

Sad - I don't think intel still releases proper drivers for this old clarkdale ...
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
So maybe the easiest solution is to buy a cheap passive cooled nvidia/amd graphic card to get dxva2 working?!
Quote:cheap passive cooled nvidia/amd graphic card
Is there such a thing? certainly worth a shot, but I would think about something that could put hardware acceleration into h265 these days, and I doubt that beastie would be cheap or passively cooled (price the card against the Nvidia Shield TV, you might be surprised) not a shill for Nvidia, but hardware is moving along at lightning speed and I see no reasoning to bury $ into old mouldy equipment. The Raspberry Pi3 is also a good contender at this point if the immediate fix is a must.
Hello fellas,

Just wanted to chime in about this issue.

I was experiencing the exact same symptoms, could play an initial video fine but when it was stopped (or ended) starting any additional video in that menu would result in a strobe like shuddering of the video (if that video was stopped and another started it would just be a black screen) (also audio was never problem). If you changed the menu (like go to a different tv series, etc) the first video would again play fine and then the problems would develop again.

Changing any settings in Kodi had no effect in resolving the issue.

Ultimately what fixed the issue for me was updating the video drivers from device manager.

I'm running an Asus P8H67-M with integrated Intel graphics and Kodi Jarvis 16.0

Hope that helps the next person
(2016-03-03, 04:23)boomski Wrote: Hello fellas,

I was experiencing the exact same symptoms, could play an initial video fine but when it was stopped (or ended) starting any additional video in that menu would result in a strobe like shuddering of the video (if that video was stopped and another started it would just be a black screen) (also audio was never problem). If you changed the menu (like go to a different tv series, etc) the first video would again play fine and then the problems would develop again.

Ultimately what fixed the issue for me was updating the video drivers from device manager.

my system has done the exact same thing since updating, device manager says my card is upto date so that didnt fix it. I have had to upgrade to a nightly to resolve it, so cant be a graphics card issue.
(2016-03-06, 12:27)GeezerJT Wrote:
(2016-03-03, 04:23)boomski Wrote: Hello fellas,

my system has done the exact same thing since updating, device manager says my card is upto date so that didnt fix it. I have had to upgrade to a nightly to resolve it, so cant be a graphics card issue.

I've got the same problem. Worked brilliant before updating but now I have a constant flicker 2/3rds up the page.
My drivers are telling me that they are up to date.

Seriously need a solution to this as it's pretty much unusable unless I have the flicker/tearing.

I'll also add that when I reboot and it auto starts I get a message saying kodi has become unresponsive - after a bit it goes and I have to constantly switch tasks to get away from a black screen - I can hear from the sounds that if kodi is operating in the back ground thou.

Is it ossicle to re-install the old version without uninstalling and removing all settings etc?
gfx issues
(2016-03-06, 18:05)Derek Wrote: gfx issues

Kinda. Screen pulling/tearing/juddering since update and black screens every time kodi starts.
Think I'm gonna try and install and older version but not sure if that's possible.
It is possible, anything is - its DX11 and intel GFX thats the problem imho do you have a decent cpu, just turn off HW encoding and use software.

Yeah sorry your i3 will decode just about anything i would run software mode personally.
(2016-03-06, 22:36)Derek Wrote: It is possible, anything is - its DX11 and intel GFX thats the problem imho do you have a decent cpu, just turn off HW encoding and use software.

Yeah sorry your i3 will decode just about anything i would run software mode personally.

I'm running an Intel HD3000 and an i5 cpu.

It never happened on any previous version so I've gone back to insenguard 15.2 and that's working fine.

Shame, I hope it gets fixed.
Its ur GFX card is not compatible with DX11 imo so unless you buy a new one......

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Black screen/Flickering playback0