• 3(current)
Release PlexKodiConnect: natively integrate Plex and Kodi
I just came across this and am curious why this has seen almost no attention.

I have an ATV and that's why I had to start using Plex. Started to like the Plex media server.

I'd still like to keep using Kodi on non-ATV devices and access the media server. Does this addon provide full functionality including access to all PMS artwork, trailers, extras, etc. I prefer not to have another scraper, but use Kodi only for playing media from PMS.

One instance to install Kodi on will be my Nvidia Shield TV. How is google assist supported using this addon? Can I search and play music from PMS to google home?
Server: Asus Sabertooth Z77 | Intel Core i5 3.4 GHz | 16 GB DDR3 | 128 GB SSD, 82 TB (9 x 6 TB, 7 x 4 TB)
HTPC 1: Raspberry Pi 2 | HTPC 2: Raspberry Pi 2 | HTPC 3: Raspberry Pi
(2019-03-21, 02:30)steve1977 Wrote: I just came across this and am curious why this has seen almost no attention.

I have an ATV and that's why I had to start using Plex. Started to like the Plex media server.

I'd still like to keep using Kodi on non-ATV devices and access the media server. Does this addon provide full functionality including access to all PMS artwork, trailers, extras, etc. I prefer not to have another scraper, but use Kodi only for playing media from PMS.

One instance to install Kodi on will be my Nvidia Shield TV. How is google assist supported using this addon? Can I search and play music from PMS to google home?
Yes - PKC provides full functionality for Plex artwork, trailers, extras. For extras, you'll have to use the Kodi context menu, then PlexKodiConnect, then "Extras" 

PKC fully integrates with Kodi. Thus you should be able to fully use Google assistent
This is great to hear and will allow me to finally get back to a "real" Kodi experience on my Shield, while still using the Plex Media Server. This seems a lot better than what I get with the official plex addon (which is basically an app within an app in my view).

Any chance to see this being added to the official repository?

What are the main differences between "stable" and "beta"? How "beta" is "beta"?

And most importantly, does this allow to select plex user accounts? I have a kid's user account eliminating all horror movies. If all the horror movies show up on Kodi, this would be a nightmare. Literally ;-)
Server: Asus Sabertooth Z77 | Intel Core i5 3.4 GHz | 16 GB DDR3 | 128 GB SSD, 82 TB (9 x 6 TB, 7 x 4 TB)
And one more: I have two movie libraries within PMS (Movies and Movies-3D). Will I be able to keep them separate within Kodi with this addon?
(2019-03-22, 03:21)steve1977 Wrote: And one more: I have two movie libraries within PMS (Movies and Movies-3D). Will I be able to keep them separate within Kodi with this addon?

• Yes, but you'll need to customize your Kodi skin. See here for instructions: https://github.com/croneter/PlexKodiConn...-and-Skins
  • I suggest using the stable version. If you use the beta version, you'll be helping with testing; bugs will appear, etc. Beta is very beta. 
  • PKC won't ever appear in the official Kodi repository, as PKC directly access the Kodi databases. 
  • PKC supports Plex users. Just install it; you'll see :-). For more info on heavily using different users/changing them often, see here: https://github.com/croneter/PlexKodiConn...Plex-Users
Thanks, this is very clear. I have installed it and am now in syncing process. Looking forward to try things out once completed.

It seems that Estuary will not support two Kodi movie library start screen, so I'll look into Titan skin, which seems to be the one fro your wiki.

I saw in the wiki the table with pros and cons of "direct paths" vs "addon paths". I have now selected "addon paths" as it seems to be easier to set up and I don't plan using other addons, so it seems better overall. Having said this, I have a fairly large music library. Should I switch to "direct paths" and (if so) do I need to wipe the library before doing so (where)?
(2019-03-22, 15:42)steve1977 Wrote: It seems that Estuary will not support two Kodi movie library start screen, so I'll look into Titan skin, which seems to be the one fro your wiki.

I saw in the wiki the table with pros and cons of "direct paths" vs "addon paths". I have now selected "addon paths" as it seems to be easier to set up and I don't plan using other addons, so it seems better overall. Having said this, I have a fairly large music library. Should I switch to "direct paths" and (if so) do I need to wipe the library before doing so (where)?
Yes, stick to add-on paths for now. If another add-on is not doing what you expect it to do, it's time to switch ;-). Your log will be cluttered with Kodi error messages from the music library, however, and Kodi might not properly shut down. But to take a first ride with PKC, add-on paths are fine. 

Once you switch, you need to go to the PKC settings, Advanced, then "Reset the Kodi database". Then hit YES, and then NO. 

I would NOT currently recommend Titan, however, as it's not compatible with Kodi 18.1. There are some unofficial Titan releases; they might be usable.
Thanks for your note.

I played around a bit. It really works very well. This is exciting. Thanks for your development. I still have a few issues though:

1) Kodi indeed does not shut down and also the music library does not show "recently added music albums" correctly. It seems I may be better off with native paths? From what I read, the main issue with native paths is that it is a pain to set it up and that some addons will no longer work? So in fact, native paths may be the better way anyways assuming that I get it to work...

2) Kodi is still a lot slower than the native Plex app. I believe this may be a result of different way of caching artwork? Any suggestion how to go around this or just to live with Kodi's slowness?

3) I have a very large movie and music library, so am a bit worried that it may fill all the space of my Shield TV (11GB) once it eventually does the caching. Is this a legitimate concern assuming thousands of movies?

4) If not Titan, any suggestion what skin is supporting customizing home menu and has a clean, not overly cluttered UI? I now have move movies and 3D-movies in the same view and no way to understand which one is which.
Played around a bit with native paths and got it to work.

Recently added music albums still shows wrongly on Kodi. Maybe a bug?

Questions #2 & #3 still relevant.

I played around with Titan mod and came to the conclusion to stay with Estuary. Will look into some configurations how to separate movies and 3D-movies or at least how to show the different. There must be some way in Estuary as well?
(2019-03-23, 05:42)steve1977 Wrote: Questions #2 & #3 still relevant.
Running a on Shield it really shouldn't be slow. Try either letting PKC cache all your images or let Artwork Beef do the caching for you and it should be faster. On the space side of things, I have a test setup on my desktop and the thumbnails folder is about 4.5GB that's from about 4000 tracks/300 movies/200 tv shows. That's with thumbnails being full size
Code:
<imageres>3000</imageres>
<fanartres>2160</fanartres>
if you have issues with space you could add an exttrernal drive and have your thumbnails go there with https://kodi.wiki/view/Path_substitution. For skin choice try https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=320137 it's fast and light
Thanks. Any experience using PlexKodiConnect with Estuary Mod_V2 skin? All seems to work well with Eastuary skin. However, after switching to Estuary Mod_V2, I have issues upon exit and also with widget display. Thoughts?
I haven't used any other skin but Embuary in a long time
You mean Estuary? Have you done any home menu modification? If so, assume you did it all manually with xml files?
The issue that exit is taking ages / not exit at all is also sometimes present with Estuary (without mod). Any idea what could be driving this?
(2019-03-23, 13:38)steve1977 Wrote: You mean Estuary?
No Embuary https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=320137 based on Emby

(2019-03-23, 13:48)steve1977 Wrote: The issue that exit is taking ages / not exit at all is also sometimes present with Estuary (without mod). Any idea what could be driving this?
This is generally an addon that causes this, enable debug log and see if you can see what's holding things up. If you can't find it post the log in the Android section here and someone should be able to help. I remember I used to have issues with skin helper script not closing properly
  • 3(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
PlexKodiConnect: natively integrate Plex and Kodi0