• 5(current)
4K / HDR content
Ok. Good news and bad news depending how you look at it..... literally. Your exe's are working with NVidia. They do not need to run as admin. Originally I D/L 1st version and test. Decided not to D/L new version because zip says same as old, v.1.0.0.0. I D/L anyway even though says old version but they must be new because compile date is the 15th. You should update zip version number.

MPC-HC only works using 'Custom Presenter'. It does not work with MadVR.
MPC-BE does not work. This may be other settings that need adjusting?
PowerDVD does not work.

MPC-HC looks good. Traditional playback (using Windows HDR switch) through all 3 players works and looks good. They also look more vivid. When you release a choice of various profiles, perhaps the more vivid look can also be achieved. I can't speak for non-HDR displays but my enabled display looks pretty good and others will be satisfied especially with profile choices. I don't believe there is any need to recalibrate between methods, at least by my eye.

I had hoped your exe's controlled the actual Windows HDR switch setting. I understand they don't now. A script of some sort for that would be most beneficial because file naming alone could induce auto switching to ANY player. I would easily be able to add it to playercorefactory or direct to a .bat or something. No manual input before and after viewing would be wonderful. That's my goal.

If anyone is talented enough to script that switch, now is the time to show your abilities.
HOW TO - Kodi 2D - 3D - UHD (4k) HDR Guide Internal & External Players iso menus
DIY HOME THEATER WIND EFFECT

W11 Pro 24H2 MPC-BE\HC madVR KODI 22 GTX960-4GB/RGB 4:4:4/Desktop 60Hz 8bit Video Matched Refresh rates 23,24,50,60Hz 8/10/12bit/Samsung 82" Q90R Denon S720W
(2017-05-19, 18:06)brazen1 Wrote: Ok. Good news and bad news depending how you look at it..... literally. Your exe's are working with NVidia. They do not need to run as admin. Originally I D/L 1st version and test. Decided not to D/L new version because zip says same as old, v.1.0.0.0. I D/L anyway even though says old version but they must be new because compile date is the 15th. You should update zip version number.

MPC-HC only works using 'Custom Presenter'. It does not work with MadVR.
MPC-BE does not work. This may be other settings that need adjusting?
PowerDVD does not work.

MPC-HC looks good. Traditional playback (using Windows HDR switch) through all 3 players works and looks good. They also look more vivid. When you release a choice of various profiles, perhaps the more vivid look can also be achieved. I can't speak for non-HDR displays but my enabled display looks pretty good and others will be satisfied especially with profile choices. I don't believe there is any need to recalibrate between methods, at least by my eye.

I had hoped your exe's controlled the actual Windows HDR switch setting. I understand they don't now. A script of some sort for that would be most beneficial because file naming alone could induce auto switching to ANY player. I would easily be able to add it to playercorefactory or direct to a .bat or something. No manual input before and after viewing would be wonderful. That's my goal.

If anyone is talented enough to script that switch, now is the time to show your abilities.
Tonight im going to release the keys and compiler. I will show uou how to set decimal numbers to increase the range your talking about. Every user can go nuts and get life of pi to explode. I set these levels with seiedits cal files to make sure the whites and blacks are not crushed. You can see this in journey thru colors. Goto bestbuy watch hdr demo. The blacks are crushed bad on oleds. I set the levels so you get bright white light but also see her in the dark. Hdr is detail in the blacks and white. Guys are releasing these demos with metadata manifactured from thin air. The max cl mun cl luma and adv cl are specific to the guy who mastered the material. Got to trust me on this. Take a look at walk thru colors. Reds are way over saturated and un natural loading in usb hdr on mode plus the black level!. My levels are correct. I can easily match the metadata but your missing what hdr is.
Don't get me wrong, it looks very good, just different. It's all worth while and a very good step forward and I congratulate you. This will open the doors for many. Personally, I want more choices and automation. Until someone comes up with a script for the Windows HDR on/off setting, I will probably incorporate your work and your method. Lots to figure out to use it with my setup. Btw, thank you.
HOW TO - Kodi 2D - 3D - UHD (4k) HDR Guide Internal & External Players iso menus

W11 Pro 24H2 MPC-BE\HC madVR KODI 22 GTX960-4GB/RGB 4:4:4/Desktop 60Hz 8bit Video Matched Refresh rates 23,24,50,60Hz 8/10/12bit/Samsung 82" Q90R Denon S720W
Are you proposing a new HDR format?
Would be nice to offer hdr for all resolutions and tvs and hdmi ports. Breaking out of hdr and creating mp3 equiv to wav would be something im sure many would really want. 8gig hdr files.....
Version 1.0.0.2 was released today with all the code and files in the raw form. If you guys can make it better go for it. I adjusted the levels to match Everest, planet earth 2, assins creed, swallows, and on and on. The saturation levels are perfect. If you guys need to tweak it its very simple to do. If you have issues with the .exe supplied you can build your own. If you have already installed this drag and drop the .exe files overtop the others in the mpc hc folder and enjoy. These keys can be used in visual basic to use windows api to communicate with mpc hc and kodis front end. A suggestion for the coders out there. Use an ini file in every hdr movie folder and if the script of program sees it enable the xdr. Then you can customize the levels in each file for each video like the meta file does for the hdr tv. You can control the levels any way you like.

Busy this week so have fun with it. Updated link below that youtube video. Not sure if posting links to downloads is allowed on the forums so just goto the video and in the description is the updated link for ver 1.0.0.2. The compiler is free no license needed to share files. I also included the .ico icon file too. You can add your own if you want and also remove the cmd window on the pause command in the bat so it runs the code and closes without you having to hit enter. Whatever you want......
Yeah, let's just adjust/maximize MPC-HC's color controls and call it XDR. Are you for real? This is so wrong on so many levels and also introduces *heavy* banding all over the place.

(2017-05-19, 12:19)nsnhd Wrote:
(2017-05-19, 12:11)Soli Wrote:
(2017-05-19, 10:59)nsnhd Wrote: With this program I can watch HDR movies smoothly with no dropped frames and enjoy HDR effects on my 1080p monitor/Projector even with a Intel i5 CPU and spare the cost of 120 $US vga card.

Dream on buddy.

Just enjoyed Planet Earth II with HDR on my VA Monitor 1080p and it's amazing pictures.
I don't need you to believe it.

The force is obviously strong with you, but now that we know exactly what it does, I can say it's a joke. All this does is adjusting the color controls in MPC-HC. You're not even mapping bt.2020 to bt.709, which results in even more inaccurate colors.(not that they ever were accurate to begin with, using this "tool")

If your GPU isn't fast enough, then the right way to watch HDR on a SDR display is to make a few generic HDR->SDR 3DLUTs that target, say, 300-400-500-600 nits and load these into madVR and see which one you like the most. Most computer displays top off at 300nits or so, but subjectively might still prefer the 400 or 500 nits targets. You can use these with madVR and it's not as heavy as the built-in function. And you will get correct colors too. (Those with hardware meters are able to target this more accurately and also use the 3Dlut to correct for the display as well).

With Linux you already can load 3Dluts directly inside Kodi, and it's coming for Windows in v18. There are also work being made to support HDR in Kodi, and from there it shouldn't be too hard to implement autoloading of 3DLuts for those that wish to pay HDR over a SDR display.
Im done helping out htpc users. This is accurate. A properly calibrated tv in hdr is boring. Added saturation in post and pumped up sells hdr to uneducated public. Go resd up on black to white grey scale then go look at tvs bestbuy sells. Look out of you eyes at beach. Water is blue and sand whitish brown. Colors look dim but real. Hdr calibrated is boring. Want full dynamic range? Or want clip the highs and lows to get the wow factor? I would rather see all the detail in blacks and sky with sun shinning and window detail inside a dark room that is exposed correctly.
I'm sure you have good intentions, so don't let one voice (me) get you down. But but no, it's not accurate. You don't get HDR by adjusting mpc-hc's color controls. You get a wacky picture, maybe even pleasing sometimes, but still wacky. And lots of banding.
It can be made much much better with a 3DLUT, with proper tonemapping and remapping of the color gamut.
(2017-05-20, 16:50)Soli Wrote: I'm sure you have good intentions, so don't let one voice (me) get you down. But but no, it's not accurate. You don't get HDR by adjusting mpc-hc's color controls. You get a wacky picture, maybe even pleasing sometimes, but still wacky. And lots of banding.
It can be made much much better with a 3DLUT, with proper tonemapping and remapping of the color gamut.

Just trying to help. What I find odd about your statement is color is done post prosess in an editor then sent out as log type footage to uhd disk. After that its sent like that to monitor. The tv is responsible to provide the wide color gamut. Maybe my hdr tv is not telling truth. Ive had uhd movie playing and switched between hdmi 2.0a on pc and 2.0a on samsung k800 player. Both match. Tried everest and with those settings perfect match. I am legion perfect match, planet earth 2 perfect match. Not sure about swallows. Suiside squad perfext match. Even life of pi matched. Im confused on this. What I read wiki is hdr is increased contrast and more accurate colors. Oh well maybe everything should be metalic color and over saturated. I perfer accurate color and accurate details in darks and whites. Try hdr slider in win 10 and load olwd samples. You will see how its home made injected metadata setting levels. Those oled samples are are offered online but are they captures or real. Ive seen youtubes way of hdr and setting -20 brightness +20 contrast and saturation +20 and set your tv to bt2020 color you get a really nice hdr effect but just like tvs at bestbuy they look exact but once again they are set to show pop and awe but crushed hdr dynamic range. Some say hde is dim. True hdr movies look dimmer that these samples. They use professional film cameras to take 48fps. 1 frame at -5 one at +5 exposure. Then mastered at 23.976 fps onto media and take under exposed and over exposed and master hdr using an hdr scale and master in bt2020 color. Once exported you get a dull stripped hdr file and the file has embedded meta tag with master display info, color spec and hdr format used.
This played in mpc looks bad. With the added levels the file comes alive. What xdr is does one thing. Returns the 10 points of contrast back into the master file. You can have it 2 ways. Hdr send as log footage to tv and the tv lock you out. Hdr is set on.....or you can add the contrast and matching saturation and send it to the tv. Keep in mind if you cannot switch bt2020 the color will look bad. This is why I say in app to switch tv. Maybe someone might come up with bt709 to bt2020 filter on software side. All hdr color is done tv side.

Life of pi looks alot duller on the uhd then the atomic color shiwn in demo file. Someones playing with hdr metadata and sharing hdr files online. But they are guessing at the mastered meta data. Smurfs suppost to have been cracked so maybe the metadata may reveal the true metadata the movies use. All those uhd movies are guessed metadata on all those sites. I know because I compare with originals on hdr hardware in bt2020 color on hdmi 2.0a in 444 at 10bit.

As for bandinf those samples circling the net of movies are most likely captured in 8bit and mastered in 10bit causing this banding. The material must and I repeat must be mastered in 10bit. You can play a 10bit and go backwards to 8bit out and will see 0 banding. Video works from greatest to least in that you can take 4k 10 bit and encodw 8bit 1080p and both look identical 8 feet back. You cannot master in 8bit and send out in 10bit. Welcome to banding.....

I would suggest users add a youtube setting +20contrast -20brightness 20saturation tint 0 when watching vp9 youtube hdr clips but use my settings for mastered uhd movies. You guys have the code. Please note that key files must be hex values converted to decimal when setting levels. You can google hex to decimal . You simply set your levels export mpchc. Open that file and look for the keys. If the value is negitive number it will be in hex. Example fff0. Use the calculator to convert to decimal and put that value in the .bat use compiler to create the setting. Add it to kodi script and now you can set 3 4 5 different calibrations. For me seiedits which is the one in my xdr file is the one ill use. Each to their own. Thankyou for your valuable input.

Have to go fix ac on car now...... later
I usually disagree with @Soli Wink, but on this topic, I fully agree with him. What you are doing is projecting your personal color perception as being better than the original grade. Without seeing the raw footage, I don't know how you can say that your colors are natural.

I haven't tried your program, but I will soon... I am not sure whether it will work with Intel HD Graphics 630. There is no HDR slider like you would see with nVIDIA or AMD. HDR10 metadata passthrough and WCG have to be turned on from the video player.
Trying to get my lingo straight. By HDR slider are you guys referring to the HDR and advanced color setting in Windows CU? It's either on or off like every other setting switch. I take it we're calling these sliders?

I think you guys are being a little tough on him. He's simply developed a little something that enables presets in the player and resets them to default when finished (manually). The presets are not a full fledged traditional HDR method. They are however pretty handy for a user that doesn't have an HDR capable display I assume because his presets open up the range via the player instead of the display and with some color correction. For those that do have an HDR capable display, it looks ok too. Rather than run to the HDR slider, switch, on/off setting (whatever) you call it, and wipe out the Windows desktop, he's linked his on/off player presets to the 'play using' menu as well as the external player. Windows desktop isn't affected. The only thing affected is the player settings.

It's probably on my end somehow but getting the on/off exe's to work through the 'play using' feature fail for me. They work fine solo. Something is wrong in the exe code 1st couple of lines. Playercorefactory is fine. I've been screwing around decompiling the exe back to .bat, modding and back to exe but ran out of time. Maybe tomorrow.

I think he's made it a point describe what he sees from his dedicated player with physical discs looks identical through MPC-HC using his settings with his equipment. Whether that's completely accurate or not, I don't know? I do know it looks decent to me but I prefer my own method. At least they are watchable because they sure aren't played raw. This is all about getting ready for when HDR can be ripped to file and it becomes as common as the Blu-ray standard. Maybe it will happen, maybe it won't but I wouldn't discourage folks from experimenting and sharing what ever they do for what ever reason they do it.

His program basically does this:

REG ADD HKCU\Software\MPC-HC\MPC-HC\Settings /v VideoBrightness /t REG_DWORD /d 5 /f
REG ADD HKCU\Software\MPC-HC\MPC-HC\Settings /v VideoContrast /t REG_DWORD /d 15 /f
REG ADD HKCU\Software\MPC-HC\MPC-HC\Settings /v VideoSaturation /t REG_DWORD /d 20 /f

Then starts mpd-hc with the selected movie.

I can't believe I'm even having this conversation, but I'm sure as hell these settings don't accomplish anything near what is claimed.
(2017-05-21, 08:12)Soli Wrote: His program basically does this:

REG ADD HKCU\Software\MPC-HC\MPC-HC\Settings /v VideoBrightness /t REG_DWORD /d 5 /f
REG ADD HKCU\Software\MPC-HC\MPC-HC\Settings /v VideoContrast /t REG_DWORD /d 15 /f
REG ADD HKCU\Software\MPC-HC\MPC-HC\Settings /v VideoSaturation /t REG_DWORD /d 20 /f

Then starts mpd-hc with the selected movie.

I can't believe I'm even having this conversation, but I'm sure as hell these settings don't accomplish anything near what is claimed.

On hdr monitor with bt2020 color yes hdr tv testers pls? Teating la la land for hdr match.

Ver 1.0.0.3 will offer youtubes hdr match using vp9 samples and bt709 calibration for guys without hdr monitors.

As for nvidia if this does not work in control panel there is an option use nvida color or application color. Try switching setting to see if mpc hx misc options change.

I think people arw missing the whole point of this project. Hde files with matching dynamic range on pcs that dont own rx470 or hdr tv. All im doing is playing clips 9n my switcged hdr panel and switching hdmi ports with grey uhd footage. Changing the sliders to create pretty dam close profiles for each movie, oled sample and now youtube hdr foottage. Using youtube downloader I have access to all the log type vp9 footage. Testing in hdr format and sdi format. All this work is to help out anyone. I benifit nothing as I actually own all the uhd material. What I found is tint must be shifted with bt2020 material to match color in bt709. Having switching modes in kidi is a brillant idea for non hdr hardware. You can already launch hdr in madvr in kodi. This bridges the huge gap. I stumbled on this by accident when testing hde metacode in actial files and could not believe its all contrast and bt2020. How I do this is set the contrast as high as i can go tell white light detail in cloyd scenes starts to dissapear. Then back it off tell detail shows. Bingo got my white level set. Now drag the brightess up downntell the black detail dissapears in a dark part of the same clip. Bingo foundbthe lowest nit level for black. Then in bt709 move the tint control to match bt2020 red level. Bingo rgb level set. Now bring saturation slider up to matchbcolor intensity. Bingo a very very close calibration of pure hde material. Now take this program into its own format. Each pure hde clip has metadata. Mediainfo can show it. Use mediainfo code to translate the level sliders with correct keys to each movie and yoy got what xdr will be out of beta. I have 15 source samples to get a charted list of value for nits and luna and rgb values and white point level
The idea is you mount the hdr video into xdrcal and it produces a .ini file from hdr metadata and when you load hdr on.exe no longer will it load set keys but load .cal file per movie as its launched. The launch mpc hc will load a front end before mpcnis launched. Look for xdrcal.ini if present load the keys from that file into the regristry. Then ler kodi command mpc hx in its interface. To shut off the xdr simple select xdr off and kodi will load mpc without calibration.

For hde users just use madvr. For 1080p or 4k tvs that missed the hdr window this will let them watch hdr and get 70-90 percent nit value of 20q5 and on hdr tvs. So this is what the Kodi hdr project is about. Eventually an automatic check for a xdrcal.ini if present will automate xdr with nothing for user to do but select the movie and his mpc hc will automatically adjust all the modes for pure hdr footage then set it back to 0.

I would live for guys with hdr tvs to test this. What im seeing may be totally different that a cheap 200 dollar panel. My tv cost 3000 bucks when I bought it. I know computer monitor can push the contrast level beyond what the controls allow. Mpx gives you that ability to add more to the alreay maxed contrast control to get into the dynamic range of what hdr tvs do. Hdr 10 is 10 points contrast. They should call hdr extreme contrast uhd lol
Typos texting on cell.....
  • 5(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
4K / HDR content1