• 7(current)
4K / HDR content
(2017-05-23, 04:01)Gereral1 Wrote: Luma is brightness white point is contrast. I'm done with this forum......official thread over at redfox. Sdi users will use this HDR users will use madv. Enjoy your ugly grey UHD footage.

I can't access redfox , somehow it blocks my ip address, could you please give the alternative links to your project.
Thanks
(2017-05-23, 05:49)nsnhd Wrote:
(2017-05-23, 04:01)Gereral1 Wrote: Luma is brightness white point is contrast. I'm done with this forum......official thread over at redfox. Sdi users will use this HDR users will use madv. Enjoy your ugly grey UHD footage.

I can't access redfox , somehow it blocks my ip address, could you please give the alternative links to your project.
Thanks
YouTube channel. Kodi users who won't help try setting levels and testing do not post on my channel. If you guys want to try tweak and share your settings this will help me and others to create presets for everyone. As for this forum I'm moving on.

Just to let everyone know UHD samples circling the net are HDMI 8bit captures. Some use hdfury 1.4 loophole. There is one splitter on the market that passes 18gig bandwidth UHD but not going to tell anyone which one it is. A company got fined 5mil for a splitter that was released not passing hdcp. All those other splitters work but only output 8bit si guys wining about banding this is why...... 10bit has no banding in color with cranked contrast and brightness levels. But what do I know ... I'm crazy. I own HDR TV HDR player and HDR AMD card. And I'm crazy.......

Another reason for HDR users to use my ideas.

http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/4k-vs-201604104279.htm

Wow you have extra 100 units of contrast and brightness control with mpc....... So HDR will look better with unlocked panel. The video I made the tests were amazing! I got double the kick in the color and darks with mpc playing oled demos that with oled demos inserted in HDR Samsung player trigger HDR on the TV and locking me out. I hope this is becoming clear for many out there. I cannot explain this any clearer. Luma is brightness and contrast effect color pop or white level..white point. Saturation changes the rgb levels and tint changes the triangle of bt709 spectrum. Each format shows a certain percentage of color spectrum.

I've actually used calibration tools on my other TV and a proper calibrated TV looks dim an warm but accurate. I like vivid look regardless of accurate color. Everyone wants blue Sky's and deep blues and greens and yellows that pop. On a calibrated TV these are boring. But accurate. With calibration what you see with your eyes is what you get. Looking at a landscape is boring until they put it in an editor and pump up the red and exposure and bring up the shadow detail and black levels. So what you get it the artists version of the landscape but the original video looks dull and blah but accurate. Lol

Most panels sdi go up to 80 nits. With added contrast from mpc you can extend that to 300 nits. My TV puts out 600nits but it's HDR. There are suhd TVs that now put out 1000 nits.

Xdr is the artists input on how the picture looks to you. That's why I released the keys. Play with setting on your hardware and then create exe to have quick access. Create 3 to 4 profiles and script them in. That way the black levels you like you can get and the bright reflected light on glass, flames and metal you can set with contrast. How much strong color you want add saturation. And more skin tones add some tint. Having control of a flat UHD file is a step forward for sdi panels and also HDR panels with their TV controls unlocked. Adjusting mpc levels does seem stupid but look at you 4k UHD results. Even HDR tab on in win 7 and the oled journey they colors played in media movie players it's way to red. And the lady you can barely see. And this is pure HDR.same as the oled chess demo. Behind the chess board there is a glass window with tons of detail. In HDR it's all black but everything looks vibrant color so there doing what in doing in mpc.
Using madVR with HDR-to-SDR conversion then output to a Non-HDR display with 3DLUT may be the other way. That way is perhaps correct on theory but unpractical. No chance for millions of non-hdr display users to do a calibration or obtain a 3DLUT.
Furthermore, madVR drops frames as hell unless you got powerful latest hardware like Kabylake or expensive vga cards.
So, atm your program is my only way to enjoy hdr on non-hdr displays.
Correct. It's simulated HDR to get as close to the meta file. On HDR TVs it looks almost exact. On sdi you will get the max nit brightness but better than nothing. No one can watch UHD clip in sdi. It's bad. The editor send out stripped dull footage and includes metadata that adds contrast brightness color spec bt2020 and hue in TV. The TV does everything. The software acts like a dog dragging it's tail. Blu-ray has levels put into the file.

Like I said it's not perfect but better than nothing at the moment. HDR will never be supported on non HDR displays. This is the only way.
I have not changed the calibration on my 65" JS8500 panel for 1080p blu-rays and continue to upscale them to 2160p. Backlight 20, Contrast 81, and Brightness 61. To expand the range for HDR, I did bump Dynamic Contrast from off to medium. This has little to no effect on upscaled 1080p's but makes a world of difference for HDR and a very happy coexistence. Though Custom color space is calibrated, I use Native. BT2020 is enabled. Smart LED is on High. Though I tried renaming input to PC and other hacks, I left most other settings default or close to it. My picture is accurate and very bright in any lighting condition. Blacks are black, not grey. As black as the black bars at times. I lose no detail in shadows. Whites are as white as a sheet of paper. I can distinguish clouds in the sky clearly. Firetruck red is firetruck red, school bus yellow is school bus yellow, skies are blue, and grass is green, etc. HDR is completely evident when the room is brightly lit or in the dark of night. I have to manually turn on Windows HDR to view HDR and turn it off to enjoy Windows desktop. YouTube video, flash player, etc. are correct. Setting RGB full (12bit or what it defaults down to depending) on everything satisfies Video and desktop modes simultaneously. My player is PowerDVD.

I thought everything looked perfect. Then I began to play with your project. As I stated early on, it looked good, but different. Maybe not as vivid, hard to describe. As I learned what your method does, I've been experimenting. I have a lot more tinkering to do. You asked for settings. As it stands now, saturation maxed, contrast +25, brightness -15 are a contender. I'm trying to blow my retinas out when they should be and retain dark detail in shadows. The sun reflecting off a windshield. It takes a while to get used to some things: Should these nightlights be lighting up this night scene this bright now? Is this daytime overcast scene too bright now? I can still see the clouds. Am I supposed to see eyes through sunglasses now, the lenses were so black before? Everything looked darker without HDR but the blacks are still black if not blacker, just not as often? Well, isn't this what HDR enhancement is supposed to do? Maybe it's just what looks good to one person may not to another and vice versa.

I haven't changed the calibration on my panel to see if I can achieve the same thing as this project is using the player adjustments instead. That would screw 1080p and Windows desktop. The fact that you brought this method to the table for HDR enabled users is valuable for that reason if no other. Providing code and instructions to integrate with Kodi is of more value. Asking nothing in return is honorable.

I agree with you. Going against the wheel is ok and alternatives are welcomed. Don't let anyone whip you into shape. There's tons of technical reasons why one thing is supposed to be better than another with everything in life. Put one display next to an identical display. You got a guy standing behind his with how he set it up saying he spent some time to get it as correct as he could by eye without going overboard. You got another guy standing behind his exclaiming his opponents simply can't compare. He's got his professor hat on, stacks of papers, meters overflowing, testimonies from others, computer science degrees, guages, light meters of every variety, etc, etc. These are experts. You can't argue with them.

I walk up and look at both displays and they look very close if not identical to me.

I often think most of us (me too) watch and listen to our equipment and settings instead of the movie and the music. I have a sport fisher with electronics from one end of the pilot house to the other. Some of my absolute best fishing happened when the electronic aids were never turned on. Yes, a lot of us strive to achieve perfection but overkill creeps in too. When you and your buddy are looking at the screen and he doesn't see a difference after the changes you just made, you disagree because you're watching your settings instead of the movie and you'll swear it looks better. There's nothing wrong with anybody's eyeballs either.

I tried process monitor for Windows HDR on/off reg setting. I pressed Ctrl + e to stop the logging and waited a minute. Pressed it again and immediately enabled HDR. Pressed it again to stop logging once HDR engaged. Scrolled in logs looking for the minute time change I waited difference to find the HDR engage press. There are literally thousands of rewritten reg settings taking place between Windows and Nvidia during the switch to HDR on. I don't think there is one that initiates all of them? I have no idea what to filter? This isn't going to be an easy task for my limited capabilities.

Keep on keepin' on. No reason to abandon the forum and delete your posts though I've been tempted myself.
HOW TO - Kodi 2D - 3D - UHD (4k) HDR Guide Internal & External Players iso menus
DIY HOME THEATER WIND EFFECT

W11 Pro 24H2 MPC-BE\HC madVR KODI 22 GTX960-4GB/RGB 4:4:4/Desktop 60Hz 8bit Video Matched Refresh rates 23,24,50,60Hz 8/10/12bit/Samsung 82" Q90R Denon S720W
Fwiw to other Nvidia users following this thread, I installed the new drivers from yesterday. Talk about retina blowing! You'll know what I mean if you try them. Nvidia was doing great with past few drivers. This latest version has wiped out everything and unusable for me. I don't know if the change is for the sake of some new HDR game or to discourage us hamsters from going against the wheel? I do know I had to revert. Judging from past experience, Nvidia probably will not change what they've done and future driver updates will be more of the same. Putting everything on hold for 3 weeks or so until the next update and see what happens. I understand Nvidia is a big company. R and D doesn't revolve around home theatre use or just gaming though they are dedicated depts. HDR probably isn't high on the list. I think the brunt of attention is focused on AI and will be for the foreseeable future. Just my opinion and I could be way off.
HOW TO - Kodi 2D - 3D - UHD (4k) HDR Guide Internal & External Players iso menus
DIY HOME THEATER WIND EFFECT

W11 Pro 24H2 MPC-BE\HC madVR KODI 22 GTX960-4GB/RGB 4:4:4/Desktop 60Hz 8bit Video Matched Refresh rates 23,24,50,60Hz 8/10/12bit/Samsung 82" Q90R Denon S720W
Its different but hdr is suppost to show stuff like glass and metal reflections . When you mess with mpc your hdr rmaterial looks like sunlight is hitting objects. Hard to describe in words. Also the seperation in black stays pure black. Whats going on is this. Sdi pushes max 80nits. These tvs can go above 80nits to 300nits. Hdr can expand as well. Whats great is once you find settings you can use your tv mode for gaming and bluray and use mpc to add the extra levels retaining the special features in your panel. Youtube vp9 uses a huge spread brightness to contrast and adds more saturation. Try this setting. Turn bt2020 to bt709 ov tv. Then drag tint slider 12 points positive. Looks pretty close to bt2020! Ill try your settings on friday. I have another user beta testing 6 profiles with his hdr tv on a shit load of uhd movies in mpc. Once I get enough data i can use metadata in the hdr files to set mpc luma brightness and whitepoint contrast with a math formula to determine wach movies light levels.

Im looking at v3 3 profiles movie, documentary and youtube modes will be for hdr tv users bt2020. Other for sdi users who want bt2020 to bt709 close match at 300nits. When I do these my tv will be set with all settings off default so users can get a better closer calibration. When i made xdr v2 my tv contrast was at 100, brightness at 100 color to med enhanced contrast to med black ennhance to med.

Great if you own my hdr tv. But not so great for others. V3 will look a ton better on sdi tvs with darker darks and higher color and contrast. I overlooked this by accident.

Try the sony glass blowing 10bit hdr demo. Set settings to default watch. Then use yours and look at the fire glow. Look at the lighr reflecting off the glass! This is what hdr is suppirt to do. Planet earth 2 you can really see this!
(2017-05-23, 18:00)brazen1 Wrote: Fwiw to other Nvidia users following this thread, I installed the new drivers from yesterday. Talk about retina blowing! You'll know what I mean if you try them. Nvidia was doing great with past few drivers. This latest version has wiped out everything and unusable for me. I don't know if the change is for the sake of some new HDR game or to discourage us hamsters from going against the wheel? I do know I had to revert. Judging from past experience, Nvidia probably will not change what they've done and future driver updates will be more of the same. Putting everything on hold for 3 weeks or so until the next update and see what happens. I understand Nvidia is a big company. R and D doesn't revolve around home theatre use or just gaming though they are dedicated depts. HDR probably isn't high on the list. I think the brunt of attention is focused on AI and will be for the foreseeable future. Just my opinion and I could be way off.

This same thing happened with amds crimson driver. Everything went 0 to 8 points brighter. Maybe it has to do more with creator update for windows and the hdr slider. This is only a guess but had to roll back my driver as it fucked all my nice black levels and the shader started showing static in the dark colors. I mentioned this in that video and also filed a bug report to amd. Also got green flickers on my screen like it was trying to sinc the video. Weird.
(2017-05-23, 21:37)Gereral1 Wrote:
(2017-05-23, 18:00)brazen1 Wrote: Fwiw to other Nvidia users following this thread, I installed the new drivers from yesterday. Talk about retina blowing! You'll know what I mean if you try them. Nvidia was doing great with past few drivers. This latest version has wiped out everything and unusable for me. I don't know if the change is for the sake of some new HDR game or to discourage us hamsters from going against the wheel? I do know I had to revert. Judging from past experience, Nvidia probably will not change what they've done and future driver updates will be more of the same. Putting everything on hold for 3 weeks or so until the next update and see what happens. I understand Nvidia is a big company. R and D doesn't revolve around home theatre use or just gaming though they are dedicated depts. HDR probably isn't high on the list. I think the brunt of attention is focused on AI and will be for the foreseeable future. Just my opinion and I could be way off.

This same thing happened with amds crimson driver. Everything went 0 to 8 points brighter. Maybe it has to do more with creator update for windows and the hdr slider. This is only a guess but had to roll back my driver as it fucked all my nice black levels and the shader started showing static in the dark colors. I mentioned this in that video and also filed a bug report to amd. Also got green flickers on my screen like it was trying to sinc the video card with lcd refresh rate....Weird.
Will be soon tesing the best mastered movie to date....lal la land. With uhd disk I will be able to lock in the dynamic range with this movie. Ive got planet earth2 locked in. Assins creed locked in and used youtube dl to get youtubes hdr files and am.calibrating the raw dull samples with the hdr samples. Using mystery boxes hdr files to come up with a youtube hdr xdr setting. Youtube dl allows you to download any format off youtube including the vp9 hdr stuff. This is how I figured out the tint shift for bt709 vs bt2020. This is not exact but will make human skin tones look good in uhd hdr video in sdi monitors in bt709. These guys dont even have any access to what oyr hde tva can do bt2020. I even doubled checked hdr planet earth color with uhd at bt709 on my hde tv and tinted. Them removed tint and awt bt2020 ans compared the same samples. Uhd dull pumped up with bt709 with tint and br2020 hdr on with bt2020 no tint. To my surprise mysteryboxs youtube hdr tint in bt709 setting used on planet earth 2 uhd looked the same. So did the movie everest on uhd and assins creed on uhd and life of pi. There is no way this is fluke. All thesw movies share most or all of the hdr setting. ... need more material to test......
How on earth is a thread about HDR so emotional and hostile...? o____o
Because I breaking out of hdr format and offering sdi and hdr users options to play uhd footage with less powerful hardware and older tvs. This xdr will be automated and user can create custom levels per video file! Just like custom hdr meta data. Thats what xdr is about and where im taking this project. Total control over hdr and tv controls. The hdr has a tight set of specs and containers but im ahowing users that even though science of hdr is set a certain away breaking out of a fairly new format causes waves. People dont like that. My results look pretty good on my hdr tv. Other use projectors and 1080p equipment. The other thing is a lag free way to play back uhd. Im working away from htpc but thought id help out users view uhd raw footage and not have to worry about video card and tv and cpu. I own uhd samsung player and hdr tv. Ive been helping anothee user with 4k uhd and were trying hdr injection. Then by accident found that mpc can show a close match if calibrated properly. Those dull uhd videos came alive. So I though let the user adjust levels in mpc and export. Write some visual basic code to use a search .reg in the movie folder and if present load reg keys for levels before launching movie. At the moment in setting presets but this will all switch to full user control per movie per documentary or youtube hdr. Every movie and clip is mastered with slightly different levels. To take this program a step further have a hdr calculator code written to convert luma to brightness and white point to contrast. Bt708 to bt2020 and saturation level. Then export the keys into a file and drop in in the hdr movie folder like you would a jpg image kodi to display the movies cover. Turn on xdr and thats it. In future you load and movie and it will look is this file is present. If it is xdr will add those custom keys before launching mpc hc and your movie will look perfect to YOU and on YOUR monitor. Everyones TASTE is different and what my hdr tv may look different so everyone can benifit from custom keys per movie. Want contrasty blacks and whites set it to that movie and export and thats it. Nexr time that movie is called thos keys will be loaded every time. I think this is a great way to create an alternative to hdr triggering and opens up the door to EVERYONE to experince 4k playback with close matching of hdr.

Hope this clears up this and quiets the naysayers....... when released in visual basic compiled .exe
(2017-05-24, 17:10)DJ_Izumi Wrote: How on earth is a thread about HDR so emotional and hostile...? o____o

Distort video by adjusting the brightness/contrast/saturation of the source material and call the revolutionary concept as XDR. That's what this is about. I can't agree with that at all. I even have problems with madshi's madVR algorithm for HDR processing. HDR10 implementation was conceptualized as a function of the display.
(2017-05-24, 17:15)Gereral1 Wrote: Because I breaking out of hdr format and offering sdi and hdr users options to play uhd footage with less powerful hardware and older tvs. This xdr will be automated and user can create custom levels per video file! Just like custom hdr meta data. Thats what xdr is about and where im taking this project. Total control over hdr and tv controls

What does SDI have to do with dynamic range?
  • 7(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
4K / HDR content1