menu washed out, 0-255 / 16-235 colour
(2016-04-06, 18:19)crawfish Wrote:
(2016-04-06, 17:40)huhn Wrote: yet again it's not a passthrough.

Yet again you're making an overly pedantic distinction which isn't helpful, particularly as concerns the OP.
i don't care if you call it "an overly pedantic distinction" it's not an passthrough.
Quote:
Quote:on a properly calibrated screen all WTW and BTB is clipped anyway.

BTB helps one set Brightness, and some amount of WTW is arguably worth keeping. See Spears and Munsil 2nd edition articles on Brightness, Contrast, and Colorspace selection for more. In any case, WTW is always there on my Panasonic plasma, so saying it's "clipped on a properly calibrated screen" is not true.
i'm pretty sure your TV isn't shown WTW with full range input signal.
i don't have to care about a random disc out there. using simple math WTW and BTB has to be clipped. your screen doesn't care about fine. there are10000 other screens that behavior correctly.
Quote:Moreover, see the ETA in my prior message for a reason why the passthrough mode can still be useful for someone who believes 0-255 video output is just as good.

why not send YCbCr with your BD player?
it will always be treated as limited. the topic isn't talking about external devices like a BD player.so why should the best way to deal with this crashing colors for the desktop?
considering the desktop has correct colors for the topic creator. because "youtube" is correct.

there are setup out there that can't use full range RGB and there are multiply reason for that. and there are even good reason to use 16-235 as in output mode in your GPU settings.
Quote:there is no need to go deeper on this topic. setting the GPU to limited range is bad fpr quality. and i'm pretty sure we agree on that.

I agree with both those points. However, madshi's post that you quoted talks about the same things I talked about in my prior messages. I covered all 3 of his bullet items, I see no disagreement in what we respectively said, so I don't see why you posted it. The Argyll discussion is really off-topic to boot.
[/quote]

you started with a one word quote from him not me.

and to find out what is wrong with the topics creators setup this is easy to:

his "youtube" videos look correct so clipping WTW and BTB isn't the issue here because the output there is 0-255. so
Quote:leave your GPU at full range.

what do use see here in your browser: http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/all_tests.php#black
what do you see if you play the black clipping test file in kodi: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/139-displa...ation.html

after this we need to what is the difference between the correct kodi 0-255 output mode. to see if this is an bug in kodi or not.
BTW.
Quote:It's a straight conversion from YCbCr's actual 1-254 range to RGB that preserves BTB and WTW.
1-254 is a HDMI limitation not the way it is transformed.

full range RGB conversation is from y 16-235 and CbCr 16-240 to 0-255. the range of CbCr is 240 and for limited range RGB you have to get that part in the 16-235 part or the colors would be wrong. the WTW/BTB parts are mapped to because this isn't done with clipping.

Messages In This Thread
RE: menu washed out, 0-255 / 16-235 colour - by huhn - 2016-04-06, 19:40
Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
menu washed out, 0-255 / 16-235 colour0