Workaround to display Oscars / Globes / BAFTA info
Edit: I've since added in Golden Globes and BAFTA awards as well....

Edit 2 (14 Sep 2016): There's a much easier workaround using Tags instead of hijacking the MPAA field as I describe below. See post #21. Same basic concept but a little less fiddly.

I've been thinking for a while about how I could display details about any academy awards wins (by category) as I browsed through my movie collection and I've come up with a bit of a workaround/hack. First, here's a few pics to illustrate the result:

On Titan skin

So, as I browse through my movies, details of any oscar wins for the respective movie fly in from the side. It looks pretty cool. At this stage I have just 10 categories set up but I'll add a few more as I go along.

For those interested, here's how I did it, but first several warnings.

1. There's an element to the process that's tedious and possibly very time consuming. How long? Basically it will depend on how many movies in your collection have an oscar win.

2. You can't be too attached to mpaa info i.e content ratings (at least for the oscar movies).

3. I'm no skinner and I fumbled through on a trial and error basis. Depending on your skin, YMMV and the changes could have unwanted flow on effects for other parts of the skin. I use Arctic: Zephyr and the changes are fairly seamless, although I had already modded the skin a little.

4. There's probably a dozen things that could happen to break this and/or undo your hard work.

Basically I was able to do this by hijacking the mpaa field in the library database. I don't care about mpaa info but if this info is important to you, my approach isn't going to work...well I guess it could if you hijacked another field in the database. Anyway, roughly, here are the steps I followed.

I used WIMM webserver to get access to certain fields in the database, including the Content Rating field (mpaa). Here's the tedious bit that's likely to put a lot of people off. For each oscar category, I opened up the respective movies in my library in that category and in the mpaa field I added a code I had assigned to that category. For example, I went with:

w1 = best actor
w2 = best director
w3 = best screenplay

and so on.

So at the end of the process (which took a couple of hours for me) for any given movie with an oscar win I had one or more entries in the mpaa field (depending on the number of wins). For example, for Godfather 2, I had the following entry:

Best w1 w2 w3 w6 w9

I included "best" for each movie as well as I used that as the flag on whether to display the oscar statue image for a movie (more on that later)..

The process was helped very much by the work bsoriano did in setting up various oscar playlists. See thread http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=264030

For each oscar category I ran the respective playlist and it displayed the movies in my library that won that category.

As I said it took me a couple of hours to do 10 categories. As a guide I have 40 oscar winning movies. About half of those have multiple wins which means I was accessing the same movie multiple times.

Now the code. This was the easy bit; however this is where things will be different from skin to skin. For me on Arctic: Zephyr, I wanted the oscar info to display in the header. To make room I had to shift things around a little. Here's the code I included in the "header" section of includes_furniture.xml - noting again that every skin will be different.

This is the bit that checks for "best" in the mpaa field and displays the oscar statue

<control type="image">
<visible>SubString(ListItem.mpaa, best)</visible>
<centertop>50</centertop>
<centerleft>50%</centerleft>
<left>800</left>
<width>50</width>
<height>150</height>
<aspectratio align="center">keep</aspectratio>
<texture background="true">flags/oscar.png</texture>
</control>

This is the bit that checks for each of the category codes i.e w1 or w2 or w3 etc and then reports the corresponding label i.e "Best Picture", "Best Director" etc.

<control type="label">
<visible>SubString(ListItem.mpaa, w1)</visible>
<width>200</width>
<height>20</height>
<label>Best Picture</label>
<textcolor>Dark1</textcolor>
<font>SmallBold</font>
</control>

<control type="label">
<visible>SubString(ListItem.mpaa, w2)</visible>
<width>200</width>
<height>20</height>
<label>Best Director</label>
<textcolor>Dark1</textcolor>
<font>SmallBold</font>
</control>

and so on for as many categories as you want to set up.

And that's it. As I said this workaround isn't for everyone but it may prove useful for some who want to give it a go. I'm happy with the results for not much time invested.

I'm happy to provide more detailed explanations of what I did but my noobness means I'll struggle to assist beyond that.

Cheers
Kudos to you for figuring this out on your own. Very impressive. Thanks for sharing.
How did you get ratings from IMDb, RT and Metacritic - all at the same time?
(2016-06-03, 05:54)VikkiXavier Wrote: How did you get ratings from IMDb, RT and Metacritic - all at the same time?

Rotten Tomatoes and metacritic info is grabbed using marcelveldt's awesome Skin Helper Service. IMDB info is local but I use an IMDB Update script to keep it up to date.
Is Skin Helper Service only supported by Titan skin?
What I mean to say is .. I am using Aeon MQ6 skin at the moment, and I wonder where the RT ratings will appear.

(2016-06-05, 06:17)VikkiXavier Wrote: What I mean to say is .. I am using Aeon MQ6 skin at the moment, and I wonder where the RT ratings will appear.

Only way to get that info to display in the footer is to tell the skin to display it...and that will require modding 1 or more xml files to add the necessary code. I've never used Aeon MQ6 so I have no idea which file/s to mod - every skin is different. I tried installing MQ6 to have a look but couldn't. I don't think it's compatible with Jarvis. I'm also not sure if MQ6 is set up to use the Skin Helper Service.

If you were to use Arctic Zephyr on Jarvis I could give you my modded file, images etc.

David
Hi David / Rubicon99

Nice solution buddy, in the past I've used additions to the actual filename i.e. ".oscar." to show it was an oscar winner and display the trophy. Perhaps that could be an alternative to some people who may be worried about taking over mpaa in the DB, you would have to of course change your code changes to check the filename instead of mpaa. But it's just a suggestion at an alternative way to the same goal. Some people may not want to change their filenames so who knows?
SKIN: Aeon Madnox
RIP Schimi2k, we miss you.
When I grow up I want to be a skilled skinner
Thank me by ⬇ adding to my + reputation
(2016-06-05, 12:09)Mike_Doc Wrote: Hi David / Rubicon99

Nice solution buddy, in the past I've used additions to the actual filename i.e. ".oscar." to show it was an oscar winner and display the trophy. Perhaps that could be an alternative to some people who may be worried about taking over mpaa in the DB, you would have to of course change your code changes to check the filename instead of mpaa. But it's just a suggestion at an alternative way to the same goal. Some people may not want to change their filenames so who knows?

Thanks. Its rough as hell but seems to work OK. Its funny that you mention your workaround because I used it a while back when I was using one of the Nox variants. I got it set up for a mate who then wanted info on Oscar category wins as well and it went from there.

I've since added BAFTA info. I do like my awards!!

Now I'm just waiting for the day everything gets screwed up because i have to re-scrape my library!
I downloaded an academy award image file and placed it inside the media folder. I applied the code you mentioned in the DialogVideoInfo.xml file like you mentioned. It didn't work. I am using MQ6.
(2016-06-30, 09:15)VikkiXavier Wrote: I downloaded an academy award image file and placed it inside the media folder. I applied the code you mentioned in the DialogVideoInfo.xml file like you mentioned. It didn't work. I am using MQ6.

Hey. The specific code required to get this to work will need to be tailored from skin to skin and xml to xml - depending on where and when you want the info to display. I've never actually tried it as part of dialogvideoinfo.xml. The code I posted was just an extract of the code I used in the header section of the includes_furniture.xml file (Arctic Zephyr skin) to illustrate the principle - that is, hijack the MPAA field with your own info, use a substring to test for the presence of that info and then display a label/image.

The code issue aside, one thing you didn't mention doing was editing the MPAA field to include the necessary info for each movie. This is the tedious part of the process I refer to.

If you just want to display an Oscar statue image for a movie I'd go with Mike_doc's suggestion in post#8.

Dave
Why not use tags in the nfo rather than sacrificing the MPAA rating?
(2016-07-01, 11:13)Charger Hellcat Wrote: Why not use tags in the nfo rather than sacrificing the MPAA rating?

Basically I don't care about the MPAA rating for any given movie or tv show, so it's a field I normally mod out of any skin I'm using anyway. However, that aside, I actually have no clue how to interrogate an nfo file on the fly but would be interested to know how. Anything you can point me at?
If you used WIMM to edit the MPAA field you can do the same to the Tags field and add an unlimited number of tags instead of using additional coding to pull information from elsewhere. In the skin just make labels based on item tags.

The NFO file is only generated when you export your library to individual files but it a must for anyone with more than 30 items in their library. They can even be over ridden with more detailed export procedure and can be manually edited with Notepad++.
Rubicon99,

Did you try using tags to display oscar movies?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Workaround to display Oscars / Globes / BAFTA info0