RE: A Call for Android Devs
"As many of you know, we are a bit shorthanded in the Android development department. While there are actually two projects SPMC and MrMC that have Android devs committing code, the upstream project Kodi has no one at the moment. If you are familiar with C++ and Android development (particularly recent Android TV development) and would like to help, feel free to speak up in our forums. The devs of SPMC and MrMC are very nice people and would likely be happy to mentor you. In addition, much of the early work you’d need to do would be to simply port the work done on SPMC and MrMC into Kodi, so the learning curve shouldn’t be as steep it otherwise might be.

And we can’t stress this enough, if we don’t get an Android dev soon, Kodi for Android could very well die out. This is a significant future problem."

Says to speak up on the forums (Please delete if I posted incorrectly)
Android
I can volunteer my time to port over to Kodi APK. I am not an android developer but I have some knowledge in making basic Android apps and compiling Kodi. Hoping a Guru join and I can help that person as well.

Also, I can donate some Amlogic S812 and 905 Android tv boxes for the Android team. Nothing fancy just a generic box but good to have some hardware dedicated for development.
Hi, Would like to help you with Android app development. I am a newbie here and not sure how to go about this task. I will try to search the forums to find more information but posting this request just in case if someone sees this, please help me in ramping up on the repo, current status and the contributing team.
I have been developing android for years. Maybe i could chip in. Well, let me know what i can do to help.
First step would surely be to have a build environment. Please follow README.android for that if not already done.

Next, I think the most worrysome issue in kodi 17 is that the way refresh rate syncing is done has been refactored and is not working currently for Android.
@fritsch or @FernetMenta can give you directions on what has to be done.
Hi @xbmcdoc,
I and my brother both using Kodi for years. Now, we're both Android devs and have some skills in C/C++ (also related dotNet technology), Java and Python.
We are happy contribute to Kodi for Android.
Please contact us at [email protected]
@nampdn, I'm not sure if it was clear, but that was xbmcdoc quoting the call for android devs post on the main blog. The people you really want to speak with are likely koying and whoever he suggests.

Though you guys are all welcome to work together, of course.
@natethomas, Sorry about that mistake.
Could you please show me where I should start to work?
Another newbie here.
I can do some Android dev and know C++ and willing to donate some time to helping this along.
Git an account on GitHub, fork xbmc/xbmc (Kodi Main Repository), create a branch, add or change code, build with Android SDK and NDK (both are required):

https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/blob/ddf339...ME.android

Create a patch and submit, see other examples here

https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pulls

Believe that master now uses Android API 21 and SDK 21 with NDK 10 as minimum, which in case means that least Android 5.0 is now required to run builds.
The Kodi Roadmap is also a good place to star for stuff for v17 krypton
I would like to volunteer as the new Android (and possibly Windows developer)

Is there any official application process to join the Dev team ?
Or should I just start reading through the bug list?

I am a full time developer, currently working as a Software Architect for a major (Fortune 500 + Blue Chip) corporation
I have one (very simple) Android application on the Google Play store, which is Open Source.
I can provide a link to my GitHub repo for anyone who would like to see a sample of my work...
Hi.
Well the process is quite simple. Since Kodi is opensource any one could look at the source code and submit patches. There's no invite needed for that.
Most just start out by fixing some stuff that annoys them or they find weird coding that they'd like to improve. Some do it for fun, others as a learning process or even for school projects.

As for Android we are not the typical Android java app. Everything we have is C/C++ with a JNI wrapper to interface with Android. Getting to know the current codebase will be quite challenging i'm sure as we're multiplatform and not always stick to the rules. For Android you could look into SPMC and MrMC codebase and see what patches might be usefull for Kodi codebase and submit them which is certainly allowed if you keep original author or at least reference him/her correctly.

Occasionally we invite people to the team who some of us notice as being really helpful in whatever way imaginable. We don't really have any rules set for that. Though getting invited it doesn't give you any extra awesome perks (all lies Wink ) or something.
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
Also read the replies here for the same aksed question:

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=271744

...maybe forum mod could just merge these two?
A good idea - done.
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
RE: A Call for Android Devs0