The best way to organize albums with multiple CDs?
well, like the topic says, i'm wondering what's (currently) the best way to organize albums that have multiple cds, if you're going to use xbmc's music database feature? i'm talking both directory structure and tags.
do i need to add the cd no. to the track number tag (so that the first song on cd1 is track 101 and the first song on cd2 is 201 for example) for xbmc to handle it correctly in the database?
right now my files are named for example "artist - 101 - song.mp3" and "artist - 201 - song.mp3", but the tags are without the disc no. xbmc doesn't like this setup though when you're sorting by the track number tag, since it'll put the first song from both cds together in the listing, and the second song from both cds together, and so on.

i'm just looking for a solution to get around this, but i haven't found a good way yet (except not using the database feature, and just navigating by directory).

thanks,
cerbero
i always name my tracks as:

artist-album cd1-trackno-title.mp3
artist-album cd2-trackno-title.mp3

also my music directory is stored as:

artist/album1/cd1
artist/album1/cd2
artist/album2

and the album tag for the mp3 file is as named album cd1, album cd2 etc.

that works fine for me. advantage is that you can put all the tracks on a cd and it will still be grouped on the artist and album correctly as well as of course xbmc will play them in the correct order. some cheapo mp3 cd players cannot handle mp3 files stored in directories so you need to put them all together.
+-------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
| xbox1: v1.1, samsung dvd,120 gb hd,x-ecuter pro 2.2,xbmc
| xbox2: v1.2, phillips dvd, retail hd, tsop, avalaunch, xbmc
| xirremote, x2_4977, media center utils
when i moved from albums to cds years ago, i stopped being concerned about what side of an album a song happened to be on. now i have ripped all my cds and tossed them in a box in storage probably never to be seen again, i don't think it is important to know or care what disc of a multi-disc set a song comes from now either.

now that all my songs are files the disc number, just like the side of the album seems like an anachronism and i found it time to drop what disc they are on. i number my multi-disc albums like this. what was track 1-12 on disc 1 stays 1-12. what was 1-12 on disc 2 now becomes 13-24, and on and on. this keeps the order correct if you are playing the album, and makes the disc number not an issue at all.
please post in the right spot the next time.
moving to "support (help)"
read the xbmc online-manual, faq and search the forums before posting! do not e-mail the xbmc-team asking for support!
read/follow the forum rules! note! team-xbmc never have and never will host or distribute ms-xdk binaries/executables!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
The best way to organize albums with multiple CDs?0