Enhance non-library video material
Hi,

I have two distinct uses for Video with Kodi. The classic and usual video library with correctly tagged/scrapped movies and tvshows. This works perfectly but barely changes over time because I'm not a big collector.

The second usage is the biggest part, a pure file based usage with no tags, no scrapping of files and no library usage at all. To put it simply : I have a folder called "Video" where I have several unrelated sub-folders with videos in there.

The sources are various such as downloaded Youtube videos, TED talks videos, TV shows, documentaries and other various sources. They all are in some kind of "rolling release" which means "delete after viewing" so there's no point in scrapping them, there would be no useable online database anyway for that kind of material.

Viewing them with Kodi poses no problem except for the total lack of information support. Except the filename, that I need to carefully define upon file creation, there's no useful information available in that mode of operation. For example, pressing "(i)" on my remote ("Information"), nothing happens. It would be very useful to at least have a popup with "Video track(s)", "Audio track(s)", "Resolution", "Codec", "Duration", "Subtitle(s)", etc.. the equivalent of a "MediaInfo" output like this - https://mediaarea.net/_/img/Screenshot/M...asy_en.png

Currently, I have to "play" each file, put them on PAUSE, display the "Info" panel or display the "playback menu" and select the video and/or audio menu to find out about other audio tracks and/or subtitles. Painful as it can be you can imagine.

I've disabled the automatic scanning of directories to fetch media information because it gives no useful information in my case except generating a thumbnail for the video which is of no use to me. Even worse, with my "delete after viewing" style, these thumbnails will "live forever" and end up slowly filling up my disk space without being used every again.

Having this information would greatly help in many cases like : "Do I have time to see this documentary before I have to go?" or "Nice, this TV show have a spanish audio track", etc. etc.

Would it be possible to add such a useful feature please? thanks
Probably a thing for the "feature request" subforum.

http://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=9
As a matter of fact, I did submit a patch allowing to add "random" vids without scrapper to the library.
It uses a "pseudo" category system via TV shows (you have to create a tvshow.nfo once to give a name to the pseudo TV show).

It was shot down, though, so I wouldn't hold my breath...
(2016-08-03, 07:53)Koying Wrote: As a matter of fact, I did submit a patch allowing to add "random" vids without scrapper to the library.
It uses a "pseudo" category system via TV shows (you have to create a tvshow.nfo once to give a name to the pseudo TV show).

It was shot down, though, so I wouldn't hold my breath...

Personally, I like the idea, but I think it should be like a "scraper", even if it's a fake one. But that's just a minor GUI nitpick, and I'm really happy to have the option in SPMC.

However, I think OP is talking more about why Kodi only does certain things for "real" library videos. Since they're deleting them after watching them, they probably doesn't even want to toggle a library scan. That way all of the streamdetails stuff can be shown. If I'm understanding correctly?
(2016-08-03, 08:27)Ned Scott Wrote: Personally, I like the idea, but I think it should be like a "scraper", even if it's a fake one. But that's just a minor GUI nitpick, and I'm really happy to have the option in SPMC.

Yeah, I've been told that so many times it must be true Wink

PS Although the original use case for the feature was to be able to instantly spot mis-scrapped movies, really...
The tvshow.nfo use case was a nice side effect Wink

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Enhance non-library video material0