Linux How do I go about changing the features of Kodi?
Hi there!

I'm very new at looking at open source code and my plan is to make and change the Kodi project to one of my own. Purely for personal and educational purposes. I'm quite wanting to get into programming and I think looking at source code is a great start for me. Especially since I'm wanting to create my own version of Kodi and re-name the project and change all the pictures and logos as a personal project.

Going through the source code, I cannot find which files house the logo's/pictures used in Kodi. I also want to change Kodi to a name of my own.

This is a noob question, I know, but I'm really wanting to delve into this!

How would I go about doing this?

Thanks for your help.
Thread moved to development discussions
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
Its a tough start, why not start with something simpler?
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
We have to do a lot of this when rebranding ourselves from XBMC to Kodi, I can't help with the specifics but a simple github search shows:

https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pulls?utf8=...%20rebrand
Why do posts like these make me always sceptical these days?
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
(2016-08-17, 21:41)Memphiz Wrote: Why do posts like these make me always sceptical these days?

"...Going through the source code, I cannot find which files house the logo's/pictures used in Kodi. I also want to change Kodi to a name of my own."

When your first programing lesson is changing the name and logos... I'm with you... fishy!
Image Lunatixz - Kodi / Beta repository
Image PseudoTV - Forum | Website | Youtube | Help?
Exactly my thoughts
Fishy? You guys do release under GPL2!
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
It's not a matter of legality, it's a matter of intent...
Isn't rebranding encouraged?
I thought that was the theory, but any time anyone asks about it here they get the same attitudes.
Real developers don't need to ask stuff like that - they are smart enough to dig into it and get it done. Noone said we spend our time on showing people how to do that sort of stuff.

While people can fork and rebrand as much as they want its not my intention to waste my time on giving the hand on that. And cloaking it in something like the request of the OP is poor. I can fool myself without the need of others.

Sometimes it seems that some small companies have the idea to make some money with Kodi and they give the rebrand work to their half time html designer because he is so cheap. I dont think this is the case here. But there are renamed versions of Kodi available already and the people who did this never showed up here and ask how to do it. And finding images inside a source tree should be doable for most people even if they have never coded a line of code.

So to summarize. Yes its open spurce. Yes you can do stuff like forkimg rebranding. But you should spend some serious time with the project. I support people if i have the feeling they already made there hands dirty at least a bit. But its to easy to expecting spoon feeding.
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
They are always trying rebrand instead of actual contributing back.

I call them leeches
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
No offence to the OP, but clearly he / she is way out of his depth.
That wasn't my point.
Never mind, I'm probably not smart enough to understand.
Well, the bottom-line is that if you want to learn how to add features to Kodi, re-branding is surely not the task you'll start with.

It's actually total loss of time for a personal project. You'd only need to do it if you plan to distribute your fork with additional features, rather than contributing back to Kodi itself.

PS I'm myself convinced that spoonfeeding is not a proper way of education, btw.
Sceptical, fishy, a question of intent - that's nothing to do with spoon-feeding or competence or even suitability of the task.
Please don't make my observation into something it wasn't.
I genuinely don't see why rebranding seems on the one hand to be desirable, OTOH gets comments like some of the ones here.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
How do I go about changing the features of Kodi?0