v16 Unable to stream large video files via ftp
Question 
Hi,

I have an issue streaming large files via FTP. I've troubleshooted it to the best of my ability, but I'm coming up short, and was wondering if anyone could please take a look and see what you think?

When attempting to stream large video files from my FTP (8GB+) it takes forever to buffer and is unplayable. Below 8GB, it's fine and will stream start to finish without any buffering and will usually have cached the whole film within the first 30 mins. I use FTP and not SFTP as the latter choked due to high CPU usage. CPU usage while testing it today on a 14.8GB file, was in the low 30%, it's a little lower on smaller files, but we're only talking single digit differences. I always have a VPN active while streaming. The VPN manager program has a speed test, I selected a file from my FTP server and averaged 40Mbps. Downloading a file via Filezilla on my PC, while connected to the VPN, maxes out my connection at 162Mbps. I don't know why there is a discrepancy here, but 40Mbps is more than enough to handle the 14.7Mbps overall bitrate of the 14.8GB test file.

I'm running Kodi 16.1 (installed on external HDD, read/write 35MB/s~) on a Raspberry Pi 2 B, 162Mbps Cat6a wired connection to the Pi.
Network settings:

buffermode 0
cachemembuffersize 0
readbufferfactor 5
curlclienttimeout 10
curllowspeedtime 10

I can't for the life of me see where the issue is here and I'd really appreciate any input on this.

Many thanks,

Razorbob
Hi, I'm new at kodi, but I have the same problems. I'm using FTP protocol for streaming usually avi files (Xvid), but if the file is bigger than 1,4Gb it doesn't play on pc windows version of kodi. But the funny thing is that is playing on Xbox (first model), where I have install very old version XBMC. I'm using home network and if I streaming mkv files then works fine on PC through kodi (xbox can't play 720p or more). the same thing is through android version of Kodi.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Unable to stream large video files via ftp0