How do I add Local Media Folder to Home Screen?
Guys,

I must be doing something wrong somewhere because this has to be the simplest thing possible in an HTPC front-end.

I'm a long time MediaPortal user (5 years), just recently switched to Kodi after a built a brand new Broadwell-E/Pascal based HTPC/Steam rig.

I'm running Kodi v17 "Krypton" on Windows 10 Pro with the beautiful Aeon Nox as the Skin.

I have almost everything setup except for a couple small issues.

Here's what I'm trying to do:

I have a folder called "NHL" on one of my Hard Drives which has nothing but NHL games. There are no sub-folders and all file names are explanatory. I don't want any fancy images or scraping or NFO files or information or any such thing.

All I want is a Menu Item on the Home Screen called "NHL", when you click on it, the list of MKV files appear. That's it!

Somehow I can't seem to achieve this. I've tried Playlists, Favorites (which is close - but not exactly). This was very easy to setup in MediaPortal.

I was able to create "NHL" as a custome entry in the skin's menu; and pointed it to the "I:\NHL" folder. It comes up on as a menu item on Home Screen, but when I click on it, I don't see the contents of the "NHL" folder, I see options like "Movies", "Files", "Add-Ons", etc .. then I have to click on "Files" then reach for the "I" Drive and then go into "NHL".

Please tell me what am I doing wrong?

Thanks!!
What I do is add it as a source then select it as the menu item.

Videos > Add videos > Browse to the location > then click OK > Choose directory contains none and select exclude from library updates then choose OK again. If it asks to refresh items say no then go to the menu customizer and choose Default select action > Video library > Sources and finally select the name of the source you just added. It will ask how to display and choose file or files view, something like that.
(2016-09-20, 22:32)mikeSiLVO Wrote: What I do is add it as a source then select it as the menu item.

Videos > Add videos > Browse to the location > then click OK > Choose directory contains none and select exclude from library updates then choose OK again. If it asks to refresh items say no then go to the menu customizer and choose Default select action > Video library > Sources and finally select the name of the source you just added. It will ask how to display and choose file or files view, something like that.

Mike,

I did exactly what you suggested - step by step - followed it to the T. In fact, what you suggested here is exactly what I had tried previously also.

There is only one problem

Although the steps above do create an "NHL" entry on the main menu; like so ...

When I enter "NHL", this is what it displays:

What I would like it to display is the Contents of the "NHL" folder, like so ...

After entering "NHL", I have to enter "Files" and then click on the "NHL" in the sources again to get the directory listing shown above.

How do I make it display the above when I enter "NHL"?

Thanks for your help!
Right... I forgot about that. For some reason there is a weird issue with how Aeon Nox 5 writes the path for non-library items so try a custom item (all the way at the bottom) and remove the quotes surrounding the path.

Example from my podcasts folder:
Code:
ActivateWindow(Videos,B:\PodCasts,return)
Another would be
Code:
ActivateWindow(Videos,D:\NHL,return)
(2016-09-20, 23:17)mikeSiLVO Wrote: Right... I forgot about that. For some reason there is a weird issue with how Aeon Nox 5 writes the path for non-library items so try a custom item (all the way at the bottom) and remove the quotes surrounding the path.

Example from my podcasts folder:
Code:
ActivateWindow(Videos,B:\PodCasts,return)
Another would be
Code:
ActivateWindow(Videos,D:\NHL,return)

Sir, you are a genius!! That worked 100% flawlessly. Exactly what I was looking for.

Thank you very much! Appreciate it.
You're welcome Smile

Ha... Don't know about genius, more like an experienced Aeon Nox user Tongue
I have similar issue...

I followed directions of at least how to add menu to home bar (aka "Kids") from THIS POST but as a noob I am a little lost as how to make it look correct? (or what my options are?)

When I am in "Movies" section using showcase view you can see how it looks (x-men in example pics link below). I hit enter/play and movie just starts immediately. I would expect when I set up "Kids" section that it would do the same (I assume it is my error somehow?). I got "KIDS" to show up on main screen but when I hit enter it doesn't display kids movies like all other movies? It appears to have "folders" with name of kids movies but I have extra step to get inside them? Then I have to scroll left/right to get movie poster to show up, and THEN hit enter to get movie to start playing....There has got to be a way to avoid all the different levels and make it work similar to how normal movies work?

I am sure this is possible but as a noob I gotta ask for assistance.

On my NAS box are folders:
Blu-Ray
Movies
TV Shows
Kids

Movies/Blu-ray are added together somehow that work flawlessly. TV Shows work flawlessly as well...it is when I get to adding something new 1) on the menu bar, 2) within the menu bar is where making it work correctly is the problem.

Ahh...crap, cause you will ask...Kodi version ahh...Jarvis v16 and Aeon Nox Silvo

As a total noob it took me a while to figure out what imgur was and how to get url to show you my problem.
http://imgur.com/a/PLXtQ

Thank you for any and all help...go team "awesome media center"!
(2016-09-20, 23:40)mikeSiLVO Wrote: You're welcome Smile

Ha... Don't know about genius, more like an experienced Aeon Nox user Tongue

I have a NAS where I store my videos. I had to map a drive letter to the location of the movies folder in order to display the movie contents when I click on the menu item, "Movies".

Is there some way to use the network location ("\\WDMYCLOUDMIRROR\Public\Movies") and get it to work? I tried using the "\\" and omitting them and it did not show the contents of the network folder. It does when I map a drive letter to that location. However, I can't do that when running from an Android TV.
(2017-09-26, 21:07)pkuchnicki Wrote: I have a NAS where I store my videos. I had to map a drive letter to the location of the movies folder in order to display the movie contents when I click on the menu item, "Movies".

Is there some way to use the network location ("\\WDMYCLOUDMIRROR\Public\Movies") and get it to work? I tried using the "\\" and omitting them and it did not show the contents of the network folder. It does when I map a drive letter to that location. However, I can't do that when running from an Android TV.
I don't have android so I can't really help but you may be able to add it as a source like you would for movies but choose none as type and enable exclude from library updates. Then use Video library > Sources > Your Source as the menu items default select action.
Hello Mike,

I´m also having a similar problem, but in a different platform. I want to achieve exactly what "luci5r" the OP wanted to achieve, but my platform is Rpi4 (Libreelec), and the HDD where I have all my media is a local Hard Drive (connected directly and permanently to the Raspi4 USB). This HDD has folder like: "1-music", "2-movies", "3-tvshows", and so on.

I´ve been trying for some hours to set the menus in a way that if you open the MUSIC tab in Kodi, it goes directly to that specific folder (instead of opening the "files" menu so I have to navigate every time to the HDD name, the right folder, etc...).

They are clear to me, the steps to configure the menu in AEON NOX (setup main menu), as well as trying to change the action to open the folder... but all instructions are something like "ActivateWindow(Videos,D:\NHL,return)" or "ActivateWindow(Videos,B:\PodCasts,return)", but I guess my main problem is that I don't know how to locate my drive in the system (called "4TB"). I´ve tried different combinations like:

"ActivateWindow(music,4TB/1-music,return)", "ActivateWindow(music,4TB\1-music,return)", "ActivateWindow(music,\4TB\1-music,return)", "ActivateWindow(music,media/4TB/1-music/,return)", and even "ActivateWindow(music,dev/sda1/4TB/1-music/,return) but no results so far...

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks for reading Smile
@ungodin

Go to Skin Settings>Main menu>Setup the Aeon Nox main menu

Select the main menu item to edit in the left panel, then go to Change action in the right panel

Select Sources, then either Videos or Music, select your source, then select Create menu item to here

Then choose a Display method. I guess these items are not in your library, so you will need to use Files View.

You should end up with ActivateWindow(Videos,"F:\\4TB\\",return)
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
Thank you for your reply Karellen,

I tried that, but sadly it got me the same results.

I followed your steps but, in this one: "Select Sources, then either Videos or Music, select your source, then select Create menu item to here", i can´t select my source (the HDD doesn´t show here). I took a picture of what I get when selecting "sources".

Which is strange, because the HDD should be there. somewhere.. it is always HERE, under THIS MENU.

Following these steps, I end up with this resultSad

I tried to manually write: ActivateWindow(Videos,"F:\\4TBamarillo\\",return), but it doesn´t work.. I guess that "F" is not the letter that the system assigns to this HDD... after all, the whole problem resides in the same question: what is the format in which AEON NOX wants the physical address of the HDD?

Again, thanks for the help  Blush
Today I tried a different approach (music this time): ActivateWindow(Music,"music:\\sources\music\",return).. is the one that got me the furthest (where only 2 options are visible, the HDD and "music"). I´m starting to think, at this point, that the route to get directly from the menu to an HDD (and subfolders) from a raspberry/libreelec is simply not implemented (would love to be proven otherwise, though)...

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
How do I add Local Media Folder to Home Screen?0