• 42(current)
Android Zidoo X9S (X-series) 4K HDR / 3D / HD Audio / ZDMC (Kodi fork): Review & Use
(2016-11-10, 16:21)hdmkv Wrote: So, I'm kinda confused over all the combinations w/4K. Basically, 10- vs. 12-bit, chroma subsampling, FPS, and where HDR works/doesn't.

With 10- vs. 12-bit, isn't any practical, real world 4K content (whether UHD Blu-ray, Netflix 4K, etc.) mostly 10-bit? So, why are we talking about 12-bit?

Appears that Epson 5040UB can display 4K HDR for 23.976/24 (most film-based content) fully, up to 4:2:2 and 12-bit (even though source content, whether UHD Blu-ray or 4K Netflix is really 4:2:0 and 10-bit?).
It is mainly 8-bit SDR, 10-bit HDR. Dolby Vision is 12-bit, but it is transported over HDMI as 8-bit RGB (RGB tunneling). YCbCr 4:2:2 is special in that you can also send 8/10-bit with zero padding and left justification at 12-bit. You are not necessarily changing the original data. Epson shouldn't have any problem with 2160p24 12-bit 4:4:4/4:2:2 HDR.

(2016-11-10, 19:46)jpik Wrote: It seems that for 4K movies (like the one on HD Blu Ray) 4:4:4 is the best output format. But in this format the screen goes black every few secounds. Confused
Futhermore i don't see a deep colour output when set to 4:2:2 and 12 Bit (as HDMI) allows.
So currently it is not possible to see 4K/HEVC/23.976/10 Bit. I used Spears and Munsil Quantization test video and other sources.
X9S has issues with YCbCr 4:4:4 and Deep Color at 2160p. Zidoo will have to fix this.
Deep Color only applies to YCbCr 4:4:4 /RGB. It doesn't apply to YCbCr 4:2:2.
You can use 4:2:2 at 4K. HDR also works in this mode.
(2016-11-10, 16:21)hdmkv Wrote: Appears that Epson 5040UB can display 4K HDR for 23.976/24 (most film-based content) fully, up to 4:2:2 and 12-bit (even though source content, whether UHD Blu-ray or 4K Netflix is really 4:2:0 and 10-bit?).

Anyway, this stuff makes my head spin... and I'm an A/V enthusiast. Think more than 90% of consumers trying to understand and adopt 4K will be totally lost.

Wait for HDMI 2.1, CES 2017 is just around the corner.
Keep an eye on the Sony 4K projectors (Native 4K) , they will drop in price..

Translate this german article 4K VS FAUX 4K .... and HDR is a work in Progress read here about the new sony VW 550
Anthem MRX310 | XTZ 93.23 DIY 5.1 (Seas Jantzen Mundorf) | DXD808 | Oppo 103D | LG OLED 55EC930V | Nvidia Shield | ATV3

(2016-11-10, 22:39)couto27 Wrote:
(2016-11-10, 16:21)hdmkv Wrote: Appears that Epson 5040UB can display 4K HDR for 23.976/24 (most film-based content) fully, up to 4:2:2 and 12-bit (even though source content, whether UHD Blu-ray or 4K Netflix is really 4:2:0 and 10-bit?).

Anyway, this stuff makes my head spin... and I'm an A/V enthusiast. Think more than 90% of consumers trying to understand and adopt 4K will be totally lost.

Wait for HDMI 2.1, CES 2017 is just around the corner.
Keep an eye on the Sony 4K projectors (Native 4K) , they will drop in price..

Translate this german article 4K VS FAUX 4K .... and HDR is a work in Progress read here about the new sony VW 550

I don't we are going to have a True 4K projector under $3000
MY CURRENT MEDIA PLAYER | MY HOME THEATER
MINIX NEO U22-XJ COREELEC v19 MATRIX | EGREAT A10 | NVIDIA SHIELD | LG 75 NANO90 DV/HDR+ | Sony 43 Android TV HDR
XBOX SERIES X  | PS4 PRO 4K | JBL 9.1 System 5.1.4 DTS:X/ATMOS 
(2016-11-10, 23:21)movie78 Wrote: [quote='couto27' pid='2454301' dateline='1478810374']

I don't we are going to have a True 4K projector under $3000
Possible, but its a price to pay

My advice is get the latest TV or projector + receiver that can be upgraded by the manufacturer to Hdmi 2.1 by firmware upgrade.

A) The LG OLED has Dolby vision that already has HDR Dynamic Metadata

B) Some manufacturers will update their TV and projectors to HDMI 2.1...they will support HDR Dynamic Metadata instead of HDR static Metadata (my previous post has a link for the Sony VW HDR upgrades about Hybrid Log Gama that some sort of alternative HDR for broadcast...lets wait and see whats happening)

C) Blu-ray UHD specs are HDR-10 and its static Metadata, some blu-ray titles might be released using HDR dynamic metadata..

D) Dynamic metadata would also make it possible to accurately down-convert HDR (high dynamic range) material to SDR

E) Read this article about Hybrid log Gama HDR broadcast

Quote:Hybrid Log Gama has the ability to alter the HDR image based on the viewing environment – light room, dark room, even specific brightness levels measured in nits. This feature makes HLG fundamentally different from HDR 10, and potentially could offer everyone a far more satisfying viewing experience.

F) In Android 7.0, initial HDR support has been added, which includes the creation of proper constants for the discovery and setup of HDR video pipelines. That means defining codec types and display modes and specifying how HDR data must be passed to MediaCodec and supplied to HDR decoders. HDR is only supported in tunneled video playback mode.”

G) hold your wallets until the summer of 2017.

Anthem MRX310 | XTZ 93.23 DIY 5.1 (Seas Jantzen Mundorf) | DXD808 | Oppo 103D | LG OLED 55EC930V | Nvidia Shield | ATV3

(2016-11-09, 02:32)hdmkv Wrote: Hmm, I'm wondering if there's a problem w/NFS on X8/X9S... I read another user reporting issues w/NFS @ AVForums.

Well I just exchanged my Zidoo X9S for a new one from Amazon and the video stuttering is still present. I did test playback with an ExFAT formatted 64gb USB 3.0 USB stick, and not surprisingly the movies played back without the stuttering or video slow down. Interestingly I get this problem streaming both with NFS or SMB (SMB less prominent). It now seems to be a Network streaming problem rather than problem with playback iin general. Since ALL of my other Media Streaming devices have no problems streaming and playing the lossless blu-ray Movies (high bit rate) from my network, the problem is either with the Zidoo X9S hardware underperforming (surprising for a Gigabyte Ethernet connection to my MacPro), or, hopefully, with the firmware not efficiently connecting or buffering the fast incoming streamed data.

Now how long Zidoo takes to correct this other significant error is up for grabs!
NUC: NUC5i5RYH (Intel Core i5-5250U, Intel HD Graphics 6000)
RAM: 16 GB Crucial DDR3-1600
SSD: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO M.2 SSD
Display: LG 65EF9500 OLED
AVR: Pioneer Elite SC-99
I don't have any issues w/SMB, even the Jellyfish 400Mbps clip, via my Synology 1812+, all wired cate5e. Let me try NFS and report back.
[H]i-[d]eft [M]edia [K]een [V]ideosaurus
My HT
(2016-11-11, 00:22)ppoulos Wrote:
(2016-11-09, 02:32)hdmkv Wrote: Hmm, I'm wondering if there's a problem w/NFS on X8/X9S... I read another user reporting issues w/NFS @ AVForums.

Well I just exchanged my Zidoo X9S for a new one from Amazon and the video stuttering is still present. I did test playback with an ExFAT formatted 64gb USB 3.0 USB stick, and not surprisingly the movies played back without the stuttering or video slow down. Interestingly I get this problem streaming both with NFS or SMB (SMB less prominent). It now seems to be a Network streaming problem rather than problem with playback iin general. Since ALL of my other Media Streaming devices have no problems streaming and playing the lossless blu-ray Movies (high bit rate) from my network, the problem is either with the Zidoo X9S hardware underperforming (surprising for a Gigabyte Ethernet connection to my MacPro), or, hopefully, with the firmware not efficiently connecting or buffering the fast incoming streamed data.

Now how long Zidoo takes to correct this other significant error is up for grabs!
the MAC use the private samba communication protocol----smb2, could you check whether to use this protocol?
there is another samba tool(smbup) for the mac, this is the link http://eduo.info/apps/smbup
No problems with NFS here, I have 7 media devices here all using NFS fine including the X9S.
(2016-11-11, 10:20)mirror88 Wrote: [
the MAC use the private samba communication protocol----smb2, could you check whether to use this protocol?
there is another samba tool(smbup) for the mac, this is the link http://eduo.info/apps/smbup

I have already tried SMBup under MacOs El Capitan (10.11) with similar buffering issues, though not as severe. SMBup actually substitutes for the MacOs betties file sharing system and has not been updated since 2014. Yes the MacOS SMB uses a different private communication protocol (that is why I tried SMBup), but it does have an anonymous login option also. And all Android OS boxes are having problem with connecting to native MacOS SMB (broken pipe errors in password protected logins in Android OS 5 and 6). Since SMBup does not work with the latest version of MacOS (10.12 - Sierra), I am looking for other Mac native options for streaming.

And it does not make any sense why NFS should not work, since it actually has a lower overhead than SMB.
(2016-11-11, 11:06)DaMacFunkin Wrote: No problems with NFS here, I have 7 media devices here all using NFS fine including the X9S.

Are you using streaming from a Mac? If so which Mac and under what OS (El Capitan or Sierra)?

Again what is strange is that I also have 5 devices all streaming content from my MacPro under NFS all without buffering issues (no stuttering) - so why am I having problems with the X9S?
So I tested NFS on X9S, and seeing no issues either. Can play Jellyfish 400Mbps just as well as SMB. Actually, NFS is supposed to be better than SMB if using UDP protocol w/rsize to 32768K.
My HT
(2016-11-11, 17:29)hdmkv Wrote: So I tested NFS on X9S, and seeing no issues either. Can play Jellyfish 400Mbps just as well as SMB. Actually, NFS is supposed to be better than SMB if using UDP protocol w/rsize to 32768K.

Yup, I realize that NFS is supposed to be better with less overhead then SMB. Which is why I am surprised at the poorer performance NFS in the X9S has when compared to SMB in my network. And I do not see any way to change settings for NFS on the X9S, so I cannot verify the protocol used or packet size. The only thing else I can figure out is if my network connections are slowed somewhat by the gigabyte switches in-between the source (my MacPro) and the X9S. I have tried to skip over some of them (eliminate all but one gigabyte switch) again with some improvement in the video stuttering (or buffering issues), but have not been able to eliminate all of the issues. I have been also asked to try streaming from my NUC to the X9S with SMB to see if that improves the buffering issues. I will try that later.

Does your network go through 2 or 3 gigabyte switches before data is conveyed from the source to the destination? Assuming that I am having buffering issues on my Network that you are not seeing but others have, AND the fact that none of the other 5 streaming media players that I have actually any of have these buffering issues streaming through my gigabyte switches, I suspect the real solution is some fine tuning that is needed by the X9S firmware to smooth out buffering problems.

I will keep on playing with the system to see if I can find another solution though.
(2016-11-11, 18:31)ppoulos Wrote: Does your network go through 2 or 3 gigabyte switches before data is conveyed from the source to the destination?
My Synology NAS is connected to my modem+router combo box (provided by AT&T fiber), and my 16-port gigabit switch is also connected to it. Then, all my media players around the house are connected to the switch.
My HT
(2016-11-11, 18:35)hdmkv Wrote: My Synology NAS is connected to my modem+router combo box (provided by AT&T fiber), and my 16-port gigabit switch is also connected to it. Then, all my media players around the house are connected to the switch.

So your Sinology NAS has to go through your router , then through your 16-port gigabyte switch - thus two connections. My Movies/TV Shows are locally connected to my MacPro and reside in two separate thunderbolt 2 raids. My MacPro then connects to my 16-port gigabyte switch. I have a second 8 port Gigabyte switch to go through to finally connect to the X9S - thus 2 switches. Gigabyte switches should also not add much overhead. So I am still at a loss why the slowdown.
(2016-11-08, 17:36)hdmkv Wrote: Saw Marvel's "Doctor Strange" in IMAX 3D yesterday... and there's plenty of that kind of effect. Awesome movie, w/awesome visuals and 3D effects Big Grin!

I don’t understand why companies do not sell 3D tv’s anymore since all the new blue ray movies are now available in 3D. I watched Finding dory in 3D and it was really nice.

Nice, straightforward review @OlivierQC. Linked to it from post #1.

(2016-11-08, 16:44)OlivierQC Wrote: In short, when i want to watch an UHD HDR Demo i must turn off the Auto 1080P24/auto29.97/59.94 and when I am done, a manual adjustment needs to be done to the deep color mode or HDMI mode for the TV to exit the HDR mode

i hope zidoo will fixed this issue.

-----------------------------------------

I used Titan skin since 3 years and i have never had problems with it

I have this problem with zidoo/ZDMC ( see picture), I do not know if it is a comptability problem between ZDMC and the skin Titan.

Did anybody else report this type of issue between their skin and ZDMC ?

Re: 4K HDR and proper framerates, @wesk05 and @DaMacFunkin have reported what you have. Thankfully you guys have decent 4K displays w/HDR (or proper testing equipment) to see the issue. Hope Zidoo will address... I hope to get the Epson 5040 4K HDR PJ at some point.

Re: skins, your weird font/text issue should be resolved by choosing 'Default' for font instead of 'Arial' in ZDMC settings.
Sony XBR65x930c, Onkyo tx-nr656, Focal Dome 7.1, Zidoo X20PRO, Egreat A11, Apple TV 4K/infuse PRO.

• 42(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Zidoo X9S (X-series) 4K HDR / 3D / HD Audio / ZDMC (Kodi fork): Review & Use8