How to STOP Kodi downloading meta data
Hi All

I have been using XBMC and KODI for a number of years and have always processed my movies in Media Center Master which downloads Metadata to the movie folder on the NAS.

I've noticed that my HTPC is now full with more Metadata, how can I stop this happening?

I want KODI to refer to the Movie folder to pull Metadata and not locally, to save space. Is this possible?

Or should I NOT be downloading meta data via Media Center Master?

Thanks
Philip
If you mean you dont want Kodi to scrape data from the internet, just edit your sources and select the local scraper.

As for Kodi downloading artwork to its local cache, yes it takes some diskspace but you really dont want Kodi to gave to load all artwork from a network drive every time you browse the library. It'll be slow.
I think all righthtinking people in this country are sick and tired of being told that ordinary, decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired.
I take your point, in that case I need to consider increasing the htpc disk space.

With that in mind am I wasting my time by processing all movies via media centre master?
Only you can say that.
MCM will do all the scraping from the internet, and allow you to edit, change artwork etc - saving all that in your media folders. Then when kodi scans it uses the local metadata generated by MCM, rather than searching online. So scans are quicker and scans are consistent.
(2016-10-01, 12:25)zanic Wrote: I take your point, in that case I need to consider increasing the htpc disk space.

With that in mind am I wasting my time by processing all movies via media centre master?

Depends. I process all mine with MediaElch. I do this because I want full control over artwork etc. Once I've got all the art how I want it then MediaElch generates the .nfo files for me and I scrape those into Kodi with the local only scraper. It's an extra step but I prefer it letting Kodi choose my covers, fanart etc. If you don't want that level of control you don't really need to do any pre-processing.

Yeah the thumbnail cache grows over time, as do the databases, but it's not so large that I have to consider adding hdd space for it!

Theres also the texturecache utility which can remove old and unused artwork from the cache which helps to keep it to a sane size.
Learning Linux the hard way !!
Ok I get it - I think the problem I had then is I scraped manually and then the add on scrapes again, via the Internet! hence I was wasting my time. But I will delete my locally saved meta data and scrape locally.

I'm considering gettin a roku to play media on another tv, so I would prefer to have consistent meta data.

Any other recommendations?
My problem is I only put a small ssd in the htpc - so I just need to upgrade that :-)
If you've scraped with MCM and have .nfo and .jpg files sitting next to your media files kodi will use those in preference to scraping over the net. So I'd imagine what you scrape in MCM is what you're seeing in kodi - unless you scan in kodi before using MCM.
How big is your SSD? How big is your Thumbnails folder?
I could have sworn it was larger but its only showing as 500MB. I am going to continue with the MCM for now, and I will look at some of the settings to ensure its using local data, Thank you for the great support as always.
(2016-10-01, 12:35)black_eagle Wrote: .. Yeah the thumbnail cache grows over time, as do the databases, but it's not so large that I have to consider adding hdd space for it!

Theres also the texturecache utility which can remove old and unused artwork from the cache which helps to keep it to a sane size.

As black_eagle said, there is the Texture Cache Maintenance utility.
Simply install python on your system, enable the webserver within Kodi and periodically run the texturecache maintenance script.
To purge unused thumbnails use:
Code:
python texturecache.py P
To delete all orphaned thumbnails
Code:
python texturecache.py R @orphan.limit.check=no
This should clean up some unneeded files within your system.

Another usefull addon is Database Pre-Wash Scrub developed by black_eagle and BatterPuddings.
It's unofficial (i think) since it acts on the database but it's very usefull in removing left-behind rubbish that can slow down the native Kodi database scanner/cleaner to the point it seems to hang.
Also run this periodically.

But the above TCM cleaner and DB prewash scrub will only clean up Kodi related cruff... from you kodi box...

If you add and later remove movies from your NAS, often, then unless you also remove the movies metadata where ever MCM stored it, then your NFS will slowly fill up with cruff.
If MCM runs on your HTPC, then maybe it also has some temp directory it's using and doesn't clean up aftyer itself.
Maybe you need to walk through the HTPC directory structure used by MCM and cealn up the temp files.
Maybe you also need to also walk through your NAS' movie directories and clean out unwanted meta data from movies deleted long ago.
Basic housekeeping Wink

FYI, my RPi3 has an 8GM uSD card and it copes well (actually it's hardly used) and has never has issues with storage.
Kodi simply works as it should (with periodic housekeeping).

My library is on USB HDD's and contain around 10 DVD based series' (average of 6 seasons) and about 150 BD's and similar number of DVD's.
Currently i have fully utilized 2TB + 2TD + 4TB HDD's and just started to use a 4TB HDD but i can never have enough for all my movies Nod
I should get a NAS Nod
I'm a XBMC novice :)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
How to STOP Kodi downloading meta data0