v17 no passthrough audio (DD5.1)
Hi,

After upgrading to Kodi 17, i can't get DD 5.1 sound when watching live tv.
In the Audio settings, kodi shows "German - AC3 5.1 (1/2)" as audiostream, but my AVR only receives a stereo signal.
Kodi is configured for audio passthrough, which is working with local media and also with amazon VOD.

Log: http://pastebin.com/cwJFd2vK

Any chance to get passthrough audio back with live tv?
It has been disabled for live TV because it was causing issues. Are you using HDMI to connect to your reciever? If so you should still be getting surround sound.
Good to know it's not a config issue, thanks.
My media center is connected to my AVR using HDMI. But pulse audio is configured for 2.0 Stereo sound for passthrough audio working. So there is no surround sound for non-passthrough audio.
Any plans for re-implementing it in the final release? Used it for years without any issues. (as far as i can say)
Get rid of pulseaudio?
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Can you not configure Pulseaudio to use six channels?
Pulse and kodi have an awkward relationship:

http://kodi.wiki/view/PulseAudio
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
PS I don't think passthrough in LiveTV is coming back, as it causes problems.
Pulseaudio sucks, that's the problem. The Kodi integration works just fine.
What?

No more passthrough in LiveTVHuh? Not really, or? Never had problems with it.
So i think it's better to leave it as it is. If anyone has problems with it one can disable it.
This was the reason for me to switch back to Kodi 16. I love 17, but without passthrough... no way.
Without passthrough, you can still have 5.1 audio, PCM over HDMI should work fine.
How do you enable it then

Sent from my SM-G935F
It's automatically
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
(2016-10-26, 08:05)nickr Wrote: Without passthrough, you can still have 5.1 audio, PCM over HDMI should work fine.

Sure. But i you have a receiver which has a high decoding quality, then this is only a workaround.
Ok, if you don't care for sound quality thats not an argument, but i think kodi is also used for
watching tv in a perfect quality.

I've never heard a better quality than passthrough to my receiver than decoding on pc. Passthrough
uses the DA Unit in the receiver. Otherwise decoding is done on pc/graphics unit which has not the
quality as in quality receivers.
If you forward PCM over HDMI, no DA is involved afaik. PCM is still digital.
Nevertheless, sound quality is much higher, when the signal is decoded by the AC receiver instead of the OS.
Don't know if it's some codec licensing issue or different sound enhancing features of the AV receiver, which obviously only work when decoding compressed signals.
As i've never had issues with passthrough audio from live tv within the last 5 years, i will definitely be missing this feature.
Ok, there might be timing issues with passthrough and live streams. This might be a real problem on web-streams. But why remove this feature entirely, so user does not have a chance to use it, even on DVB-Networks?

And please add a comment about it to the Kodi 17 Changelog's PVR section, so users can know about this degradation before updating.
(2016-10-31, 11:33)Eldarik Wrote: Ok, there might be timing issues with passthrough and live streams. This might be a real problem on web-streams. But why remove this feature entirely, so user does not have a chance to use it, even on DVB-Networks?

And please add a comment about it to the Kodi 17 Changelog's PVR section, so users can know about this degradation before updating.

Hehe... I think you know the answer. It's one of the funny idea from a developer who didn't know how to waste his time...He just woke up and thought: "What a perfect day to disable audio passthrough in our new version. I couldn't find out the reason for some issues in there. So that's it... We disable it and all the issues are gone. And tomorrow i'm going to investigate the issues regarding UHD, maybe i have another fine idea like that."

NO.... PLEASE NOT. Rofl

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
no passthrough audio (DD5.1)0