Newbie here. Likely looking for the freest audio 'cast' solution, for podcasts.
Problem. I'm listening to podcasts while I'm doing my computing on my (currently) Windows laptop. As the title says, I'm probably looking for the freest audio 'cast' solution, so let's not limit my options to Windows, let's extend them to Linux, macOS , and mobile devices as well (which do not necessarily have to be smartphones, btw).

While you listen to your podcasts and if you are like me, you often want to rewind (skip back) a few secs, if you zoned out and missed a thing. No big deal, but the rewind (skip back) button is probably the most used one by podcast listeners. While doing my computing on my laptop, it makes much more sense to run the show (podcast) from the same device, so I can switch context windows and pause/rewind with a few key combinations with ease, wherever I am in the system.

Compare that to having to reach to an external device, such as s smartphone: you have to take off your hands from the keyboard, which is not an ergonomic thing to do. Check out: 'repetitive strain injury.'

I'm looking for the freest solution to 'cast' my audio podcasts across the room to some receiver dongle (attached to my TV or a home stereo, it doesn't matter which one), while I'm allowed to comfortably control playback from the laptop, preferably from any app on the Windows PC (Mac, Linux). I currently use MPC-HC and VLC media player.

I'm a newbie in the world of home media computing, what I understand my options are:
- Bluetooth, usually sucks in and of itself. (As a case in point, Apple just improved it with its proprietary W1 chip and secret sauce, delayed shipping of the earphones product expected coming as the result of their efforts.) I heard it has different versions or encodings like that, some of them may suck less, but support less hardware.
- Some kind of 'casting' solution (not as in casting couch, sorry), which requires not only a direct connection like Bluetooth, but a home Wi-Fi network as well. Check. Casting solutions like Google Cast and Apple's AirPlay add a secret sauce over Wi-Fi, if I understand correctly. Researching other options like Amazon TV and Roku, I'm not sure how do they work: is there such a thing as 'Amazon cast' and 'Roku cast?' Even if such things exist, they are probably not any freer than the Apple and the Google variant.

Bluetooth has latency, casting does not. AirPlay requires me to play my stuff in iTunes ( at least on Windows), Google Cast requires a Chrome browser - correct me if I'm wrong. Neither solution goes well with my keyboard-wizardry, my hope is the 'free casting' solution works from any software (such as my currently preferred MPC-HC or VLC media player).

As casting usually adds a secret cause over Wi-Fi, I wonder if there is a 'free casting' solution for me. Something that works over Wi-Fi, but the secret sauce add-on is free/open source, and works on most of these platforms: Windows, Linux, macOS, mobile devices like smartphones (or similar). Or, how about casting over good old Wi-Fi only? Is bare Wi-Fi casting a thing? Probably 'secret sauces' help, but still. How about new and upcoming extensions to the Wi-Fi standard? They may be nice, but I also can't wait forever.

Does my aim/request sound reasonable to you, or too weird? Do you have similar problems? What's your solution? First post. Thanks!
I manage and listen to my podcast via subsonic. Can pause, listen, bookmark and resume on any device
first_time_user (wiki) | free content (wiki) | forum rules (wiki) | PVR (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)

IMPORTANT:
The official Kodi version does not contain any content what so ever. This means that you should provide your own content from a local or remote storage location, DVD, Blu-Ray or any other media carrier that you own. Additionally Kodi allows you to install third-party plugins that may provide access to content that is freely available on the official content provider website. The watching or listening of illegal or pirated content which would otherwise need to be paid for is not endorsed or approved by Team Kodi.
Logitech media server?

Chromecast audio?

But really, relevance to Kodi?
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
thread moved to off topic
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
@nickr could be relevant to Kodi with the subsonic add-on. Reaching a bit though.
first_time_user (wiki) | free content (wiki) | forum rules (wiki) | PVR (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)

IMPORTANT:
The official Kodi version does not contain any content what so ever. This means that you should provide your own content from a local or remote storage location, DVD, Blu-Ray or any other media carrier that you own. Additionally Kodi allows you to install third-party plugins that may provide access to content that is freely available on the official content provider website. The watching or listening of illegal or pirated content which would otherwise need to be paid for is not endorsed or approved by Team Kodi.
I found several So called "free open source", Pod casters, that use Cloud, but then you probably have to reach for your gold.
I found 1 i have seen in Kodi does also use Cloud service, to stream podcasts to any device, mac, android, PI, Windows, Linux and so one.
Not sure if its on the No No list now, and since none of the "TK" mention it, well i like it here so its probably, on Santa's No No list now.

Itunes provide much the same service, as to what your after, and for only 5$ per podcast, they will unlock the DRM protection, on your DRM pods if you have some, but limited to 30 podcast, songs video and so one.
I did not get exactly what they wrote so its not totally accurate.

But some sort of Open source with free cloud (there will be some limit ofc), is probably what you should look for, and as i said i saw 1 i have seen in Kodi, but as to its current status No No or not i can't say.

Just my 10 cents on the matter Smile
English is not my native language; please excuse typing errors.
Grampa Simpson: Unfortunately, like all true stories, this one has a crappy ending. You have a story with an ending.
Grampa, are you sure you're okay to drive at night? Grampa: It's night?
Banned add-ons

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Newbie here. Likely looking for the freest audio 'cast' solution, for podcasts.0