Android (S912) HEVC 10bit not playing in Kodi
Hi all,

Having a really strange issue. I've got a Beelink GT1 Android box, S912 which should play HEVC/x265 10bit files fine. When I play one of those files on the standard android video player, they play fine, but when I try to play them in Kodi I just get a distorted green screen with just the audio playing.

The render method is greyed out in my settings as I've read some people say to change that, but I'm baffled as to why it's just Kodi that won't play the files, it's clear the device can handle them as they play outside of Kodi.

Any advice guys? I feel I've looked everywhere on the net for an answer and can't see anything!

Thanks,

P
Someone has to break the news to you:
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=...pid2192163

Buggiest Android Kodi Box award of the quarter goes to:

- Any AMLogic S912 box running Android Marshmallow 6.0, like the Beelink GT1 as an example. Don't get hoodwinked by clever marketing and Tech specs people. Its been awarded a D by our very own @hdmkv. A D for Do Not Bother!
There is NO LibreELEC Kodi support for AML S912 devices either.

And its not the only AML Kodi device running Android 6.0 marshmallow with that 10bit HEVC playback problem, as the Xiaomi Mi Box also has issues:
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=...pid2446197

Basically a Firmware update is needed on both devices and users will have to wait.

But, but, but... it was so cheap and so nicely photoshopped.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Not exactly cheap in my opinion, and yeah more fool me for thinking a products specs wouldn't be false, really cut me deep there...
And this is where we send AML Firmware problems to:

http://freaktab.com/forum/tv-player-supp...16gb/page8

(2016-11-06, 15:11)Pjw2016 Wrote: Not exactly cheap in my opinion, and yeah more fool me for thinking a products specs wouldn't be false, really cut me deep there...

Just return it :-)
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Cheers guys, think I've been sold down the river a bit there, I'm going to return the box and buy a MINIX U1, I assume from reading that'll play 1080p x265 10bit fine.

Thanks for commenting!
Currently I wouldn't go for U1 either
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
Any reason why? Looking at the link wrxtasy sent that box seems to hit all the marks?
It's stuck at android 5 for now and not sure it will get an update
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
Yes MINIX have a habit of only upgrading the Android OS with a new device if previous MINIX Hardware releases have been any indication.

However Android Marshmallow on AML S905 devices still has a way to go to become a polished performer for a semi serious Kodi Box vs Lollipop.

Audio passthrough works fine on well supported devices from MINIX and WeTek when using Kodi Jarvis forks (aka specific Jarvis versions) on Lollipop(API v22) only. Suggest you read fritsch's Android - Passthrough changes with v17 thread, if proper passthrough Audio is needed from Kodi Krypton 17.0 onwards on AML. Even then naturally decent Firmware is needed.

BTW: x265 is a free software library for encoding H265 (HEVC) video. That why I've always written HEVC.

And finally those 10bit HEVC (H265) files play fine on AML S905 devices running Lollipop.

Personally I would try and flash the GT1 updated Firmware found in the latter pages of that Freaktab website link first to see if improvements have been made.

All the old aml pt should work in v17, too. I gave them a final Release, with v18 all those hacks will be removed.
(2016-11-06, 15:15)wrxtasy Wrote: And this is where we send AML Firmware problems to:

Can you explane me what is the issuse:

1. Android Box with CPU 912 dont work?
2. Android Box with CPU 912 dont work with onlny HEVC/x265?
3. Whats the problem?
(2016-11-07, 23:19)BestTvBox Wrote:
(2016-11-06, 15:15)wrxtasy Wrote: And this is where we send AML Firmware problems to:

Can you explane me what is the issuse:

1. Android Box with CPU 912 dont work?
2. Android Box with CPU 912 dont work with onlny HEVC/x265?
3. Whats the problem?

The manufacturer that has no interest in fixing bugs in the firmware.
No correct implementation of Mediacodec video acceleration(still uses AMLCodec which is not supported in Kodi anymore).
Btw amlogic works with us and we are looking forward to a nice 6 version! But resellers release early crap.... just for the money.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
(S912) HEVC 10bit not playing in Kodi0