DialogPVRGuide Initial Selection Position
Hi,

with the availability of Kodi17 and the Raspberry PI i have finally switched from my VDR frontend to a full KODI system with a TVHeadend server. Great work so far on all the PVR stuff.

I have a question about the DialogPVRGuide Window, that is the one that lists the upcoming shows on the current channel. It seems the "selection" when opening this window is always close to the bottom of the window, resulting in many entries shown that are actually in the past and therefore not of interest any more. I looked through the XML files in the skin (I am using amber) but it seems not to be a skinning thing but coming from KODI itself.

Am I doing something wrong or missing an option? I beleive the selection should be at the top and the list should include at max 1 or 2 items of the past, if at all.

Does this make sense?

Btw I am creating an optimized Lircmap and several keymap customizations for my Harmony 300 and will be happy to share them once finished in a couple of days.
Thanks!
I think that most dialogs in Kodi is stupid or smart depending on how you see it. They remember the position from when they were last opened.
Smart for some dialogs, but stupid for most of the PVR guide dialogs. It is the same with f.ex. the EPG window. I would like it to always highlight the current playing channel when watching LiveTV, but it always remember the last channel highlighted when it was last open.

Maybe it is the same with your dialog?
yes, that is exactly what happens and in my world this should not be the case in an intuitive environment. I am really not an expert on skinning but as far as I analyzed the skin XML files this is not skin related at all and cannot be easily fixed in a skin. It would be really a good enhancement to create the capability to preconfigure dialogs based on the channel that is actually on at this moment.
(2016-11-15, 17:41)raptorjr Wrote: It is the same with f.ex. the EPG window. I would like it to always highlight the current playing channel when watching LiveTV, but it always remember the last channel highlighted when it was last open.

Yes, I agree this is an issue for daily PVR use. If you change channels with the number keys, then press the EPG button (i.e. E), it shows completely different channels (usually starting with 1).

Is there something that can be done about this? Or is this hardcoded behaviour?
I opened a bug against this type of behavior. I was told it is a feature request.

http://trac.kodi.tv/ticket/17146

I'm unsure if it is a feature request against the PVR plugin or Kodi itself.

I haven't had time to open a feature request and it seems there are currently thousands open...
(2017-02-28, 00:58)lasers Wrote: I opened a bug against this type of behavior. I was told it is a feature request.

I haven't had time to open a feature request and it seems there are currently thousands open...

Sorry, I had to close the ticket as trac is only for bug reports.

The feature works as designed - actually the behavior was another feature request that was implemented before I joined the project.

Personally, I also do not like the current behavior. Maybe if I find some spare time I will make it configurable, but no promises.
(2017-02-28, 09:13)ksooo Wrote:
(2017-02-28, 00:58)lasers Wrote: I opened a bug against this type of behavior. I was told it is a feature request.

The feature works as designed - actually the behavior was another feature request that was implemented before I joined the project.

Personally, I also do not like the current behavior. Maybe if I find some spare time I will make it configurable, but no promises.

Thanks Ksooo, absolutely not a problem--after the explanation I agree it's not a bug and the ticket was properly closed. Smile

I started to comb through the source but it's a bit overwhelming and it's been over 10 years since I've touched C/C++ so I'm a little lost.
You don't recall what the previous feature request was or have a record of the change do you? If so I could do a little digging too.

I've wanted to open a few issues I've encountered revolving around the EPG/PVR however I'm unsure if technically it is as designed or truly a bug.

For instance using pgup/pgdn buttons when the EPG is first opened (or at the top of the list) only allows you to scroll down (increase channels shown) and not up. Example: Open the EPG, it starts at channel 1. Press pgup to go to channel 999. The list does not scroll up (to the end of the list) but it scrolls to the right. You can use the single channel up/down buttons and everything works as expected.

And the other I found is that when you enable the option to start playing the last channel when Kodi is opened it will properly play however it will not change the guide selection to the current channel and will always open at the top of the channel list. I would think that has to do with the behavior noted by the OP.
Quote:I have a question about the DialogPVRGuide Window, that is the one that lists the upcoming shows on the current channel. It seems the "selection" when opening this window is always close to the bottom of the window, ... I beleive the selection should be at the top and the list should include at max 1 or 2 items of the past, if at all.

Makes sense, this could definitely be improved. However, it must be corrected in the pvr core code, no chance to "fix" this in skin's xml.

Quote:I think that most dialogs in Kodi is stupid or smart depending on how you see it. They remember the position from when they were last opened.

Not related to OP. As I explained earlier, this behavior once was requested as a feature and works now as requested/designed.

Quote:For instance using pgup/pgdn buttons when the EPG is first opened (or at the top of the list) only allows you to scroll down (increase channels shown) and not up. Example: Open the EPG, it starts at channel 1. Press pgup to go to channel 999. The list does not scroll up (to the end of the list) but it scrolls to the right. You can use the single channel up/down buttons and everything works as expected.

Which skin are you using? Using Estuary, works as designed. up/down wrap around, pgup/pgdown dont. When on channel 1 (top entry in the list) pgup does nothing here, as expected. This is, how all kodi item list behave.

Quote:And the other I found is that when you enable the option to start playing the last channel when Kodi is opened it will properly play however it will not change the guide selection to the current channel and will always open at the top of the channel list. I would think that has to do with the behavior noted by the OP.

This is a bug, although not related to OP.
(2017-02-28, 23:38)ksooo Wrote:
Quote: Which skin are you using? Using Estuary, works as designed. up/down wrap around, pgup/pgdown dont. When on channel 1 (top entry in the list) pgup does nothing here, as expected. This is, how all kodi item list behave.

Quote:And the other I found is that when you enable the option to start playing the last channel when Kodi is opened it will properly play however it will not change the guide selection to the current channel and will always open at the top of the channel list. I would think that has to do with the behavior noted by the OP.

This is a bug, although not related to OP.

I am using Estuary. As you stated this is not a bug and would be a feature request to allow wrap-around of lists using pgup/pgdwn command (if possible).

I will open a bug report on the last item mentioned when I have some extra time.

Thanks!
(2017-02-28, 09:13)ksooo Wrote:

With next Kodi Leia nightly build, there is a new setting to change the channel selection behavior. => https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/13237

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
DialogPVRGuide Initial Selection Position0