tried to upgrade both base OS and Kodi ... problem
I decided to upgrade my Kodibuntu system from OS version 14.04 to 16.04 and to the latest Kodi.

The OS upgrade "seemed" to work, but when I rebooted and did a lsb_release -a it still reported my old version.
Yet ... the system reported no upgrades available and that my install was up to date....

I had a desktop and proceeded to upgrade Kodi - and that seemed to work too.
I rebooted the computer - selected Ubuntu and my desktop came up as normal.
But when I tried to start Kodi media center - it failed to run reporting an Ubuntu 16.04 error?

This is really strange.

Please help if you can. I'd like to see if this can be fixed first before I do a clean install over USB.

Thanks
I did some more researching and it seems I should not have tried to upgrade from 14 to 16 directly. My OS is probably corrupted even though it seems to work as a desktop.
Kodi certainly doesn't work anymore - and I do love Kodi.

I will have to do a clean install of Ubuntu 16.04 and see if that works. Will I also have to re-install Kodi?
Yes, you will. BUT, if you make a backup of your current userdata directory (~/.kodi/userdata) onto some removable media then after you have re-installed you can just copy it back over the top and all your databases etc will be preserved.

Out of interest, what is the error you are getting when trying to run Kodi ? debug log (wiki) might be really helpful here, before you start re-installing the OS.
Learning Linux the hard way !!
I'm surprised at the comment that you "should not have tried to upgrade from 14 to 16 directly", as that's exactly the recommended LTS upgrade route (as much as upgrading an LTS is ever recommended).

Just as a matter of interest, is it any different if you try to boot into full-screen Kodi via the Kodibuntu window manager/login selector vs trying to start Kodi from the desktop environment?
(2016-11-24, 16:32)black_eagle Wrote: Yes, you will. BUT, if you make a backup of your current userdata directory (~/.kodi/userdata) onto some removable media then after you have re-installed you can just copy it back over the top and all your databases etc will be preserved.

Out of interest, what is the error you are getting when trying to run Kodi ? debug log (wiki) might be really helpful here, before you start re-installing the OS.

The only error was a popup that said something bad happened with Ubuntu 16
I'll check the log for more specifics.
(2016-11-24, 16:44)Prof Yaffle Wrote: I'm surprised at the comment that you "should not have tried to upgrade from 14 to 16 directly", as that's exactly the recommended LTS upgrade route (as much as upgrading an LTS is ever recommended).

Just as a matter of interest, is it any different if you try to boot into full-screen Kodi via the Kodibuntu window manager/login selector vs trying to start Kodi from the desktop environment?

That's what I thought ... but further reading reported I should incrementally upgrade from 14 to 15 and then from 15 to 16.
(2016-11-24, 16:47)mjz3348 Wrote: That's what I thought ... but further reading reported I should incrementally upgrade from 14 to 15 and then from 15 to 16.

... which you can't if you're on an LTS release (which I believe Kodibuntu is) - not without dropping off the LTS track, anyway. There was no 15.x LTS.

Odd, that's all. Doesn't necessarily explain your problem if everything else works, though.
Thanks all ... after a bunch of work, I have my system restored and upgraded. Fun time on Thanksgiving.
Essentially I had to install Ubuntu 16.04.1 from scratch. That took a bunch of time.
After getting the new system running and "tweaked", I installed Kodi Jarvis (LTS) 16.1

I followed Black_Eagle's advice and easily restored my userdata and configuration - that was a GREAT suggestion!

I use Kodi for my home theater installation (12 foot screen). It is AWESOME which is why I wanted it working so bad! I use it for everything (movies, music, pictures).

Kodi is now working - but now I have to move the computer from my desk back to the home theater and connect it to the big screen where my Marantz HDMI system is installed. I don't envision problems. I'll post pictures if anyone's interested. It's a pretty cool setup (sonus faber speakers, rel subs, 12 foot screen).

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
tried to upgrade both base OS and Kodi ... problem0