v18 LibreELEC Testbuilds for x86_64 (Kodi 18.0)
(2018-04-25, 13:46)laric Wrote: I see.
That seems like an odd decision to me that something that lies in the forefront on multimedia Kodi /LibreElec should choose to use a potentially dated kernel.
Isn't LTS kernels really meant for enterprises running on servers?

So a potentially really nice (for HTPC purposes at least) processor family might be entirely missed by LibreElec as the current family (Ryzen 3/5 2x00g) might be irrelevant by the time that it is in the LTS kernel that LibreElec will support?

I don't disagree.

However there's a balance that needs to be struck between stability (LTS) for the majority of users and supporting the latest hardware (non-LTS) for a relative minority of users. Non-LTS kernels are also more likely to introduce new behaviour/bugs. It's difficult making the argument to take the more risky non-LTS option when LTS kernels are the obvious "safe" choice - the first time there is a problem with a non-LTS kernel in an official release it's just going to be a case of "I told you so" from those that didn't buy into the decision.

Hence, it's an on going discussion within the team.

My preference would be for non-LTS kernels - supporting the broadest and latest range of hardware - in official releases, but that decision needs to be agreed AND supported by the majority of the team, in particular all of those that support RPi/Generic as these projects would be the main consumers of the latest mainline/non-LTS kernels.

With the current plan to support only LTS kernels there's no real point putting in the effort to bring up the new non-LTS kernels - it gives a false impression of where LE9 will be when released, and is also a shed load of work/effort that isn't required.

I don't know if/when this policy will change, but yeah... if you have the latest hardware that needs a mainline/non-LTS kernel then LibreELEC is (unfortunately) no longer the OS for you, I'm afraid. Sad
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.

Messages In This Thread
RE: LibreELEC Testbuilds for x86_64 (Kodi 18.0) - by Milhouse - 2018-04-25, 23:08
Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
LibreELEC Testbuilds for x86_64 (Kodi 18.0)24