v18 LibreELEC Testbuilds for x86_64 (Kodi 18.0)
(2018-05-15, 12:56)SuperSheep81 Wrote: Don't get me wrong. I do have great respect for the developers of Kodi, and especially the Linux branch. You do great work. And I love watching my movies almost every day on Kodi. and I realise how much effort you put into making Kodi the best mediaplayer in the world. I only think I'm not the only one who have a Nvidia GPU who has this problem.

Anyway, I think It's too early to bump VPDAU for the new decoder. Maybe in a year or so. I'll watch my 4k BR-discs on the blue ray player in the meanwhile. Is there any way I can request this as a new feature in a future version op libreelec?

Thank you
 You are welcome - also no offense intended. Btw. if someone reads this: Why does the card work on windows? The answer is simple: Nvidia implemented DXVA, the standard Windows hardware acceleration and rendering framework. Under the hood this uses most likely cuvid / nvidia sdk whatever. Kodi on windows supports exactly one decoding standard, which is DXVA.

On Linux, it's different: There is OMX, OMX(PI), AMCodec, VAAPI, VDPAU, XVBA, Rockchibberish, etc. in recent years AMD implement first VDPAU to be compatible with the masses. Intel ever went with VAAPI. Then Nvidia dropped support for VDPAU, AMD continued supporting it and even implemented HEVC-10 bit in MESA, theoretically usable in VDPAU. but only theoretical as of limitations of nvidia's implementation.

As VDPAU was deadend some people out of AMD environment worked with intel on VAAPI 2.0 with the result that with upcoming kodi v18 - AMD gpus and intel gpus will use VAAPI including support for VP9 Profile2 and HEVC-10 bit ... now nvidia came up and could have done it right and provide native VAAPI support, but no - yet another nvidia specific CUDA based decoding framework without even proper possibilities to "zero copy share" decoded surfaces with render pipeline.

That's the very sad story with them. Yes, great GPUs ... but only proprietary support. No native wayland support ... *to be continued*.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.

Messages In This Thread
RE: LibreELEC Testbuilds for x86_64 (Kodi 18.0) - by fritsch - 2018-05-15, 13:04
Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
LibreELEC Testbuilds for x86_64 (Kodi 18.0)24