remote update android tv box kodi 16.1->17->18?making Idiotproof?
hello i have a question about kodi version.
last week a video addon stopped (i found out i cant talk about this addon here thats ok) working and i have to go to my all family members and fix everything by hand.
we have only 8 android tv boxes but it was a lot of work and time wasted.
i thought about updating it remotely if it is possibly .this would be perfect.trough ssh or getting an update script from a server like github?
as i understand its not possible to update 16.1 to 17 when is running?so only in android then ssh or something else?
anyone can give me pointers?
the same thing will happend when 16.1 is not more supported

iam not a seller i try to make my life easier, it would be nice when someone could help
thanks
I'd Kodi is installed via the play store it should update when a new version is released.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
not automatically , i try to find a idiot proof solution for my family.
they are not that technical.
i need it to make it idiot proof, making a build and to guiding them through phone is to much work
"Making a build" - we don't support that.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
i know i try to find a solution
In short: if v16 works, keep it. v17 has many rough edges on android (it's not bad at all, but it's the first release without an active maintainer) and there is no plan / capabilities to fix them. If you want a nicer skin and don't watch movies anyways, upgrade won't hurt, though.

But you can find out and downgrade afterwards.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
never change a working system! i know.
but my thinking is in the future i have to change the system in the future when the addon is not working anymore with 16.1
like we have the same problem with 15.2 . iam trying to to remotely update 8 noname android tv boxes.
it take me a lot of time to update all.boxes.and i see the same problem when 16.1 will get obsolete .
so anybody have an idea to save my time?last week my phone ring like crazy. if i had a remote update solution, i would update all boxes at once.
Are you saying kodi doesn't update automatically like other playstore apps?
Exactly - Kodi should update from Play store and addons should update from repository... all pretty much automatically....?
Why not just have VNC or some other virtual desktop client installed on the android devices. . upload your configurations on google drive and when your ready to update to the newer kodi version install it yourself

Only issues I have with VNC is video and that doesn't seem to be an issue for what you want to do.
Box: Matircom G Box AMLS812
Kodi: SPMC
Skin APPTV
Connection ADSL(11MPS) , Ethernet
Game Systems : Wii, PS3
Cable Provider: WOW! (Wide Open West)
Media servers (windows 10 PC) Mediaportal, Playon, Kodi

1. kodi dosent update automaticly
2. if i update by hand from the playstore all off the the settings are gone i think (i cant remeber)
vnc on the android tv boxes is to much for them to handle i think.
temotly conneting and updating all from a server type would be perfect is it possilble?
I think the vnc suggestion was to allow you to do it remotely.

But perhaps android is the wrong platform for this. Remote updating is far easier over commandline, so perhaps consider libreelec.
(2016-12-27, 22:30)nickr Wrote: I think the vnc suggestion was to allow you to do it remotely.

But perhaps android is the wrong platform for this. Remote updating is far easier over commandline, so perhaps consider libreelec.

the problem is i have 8 noname android tv boxes.they are used for other things to like netflix and so on.
i like to ask this forum maybe somebody have a idea.
i like to update the boxes remotely it would save me a lot of time
Try vnc then.

PS, this is why I don't introduce kodi to many of my friends, I don't want their admin problems LOL.
to late for that iam the tech guy in the family and we need greek television/greek series.
i still koping for a good solution.
vnc is not a good way

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
remote update android tv box kodi 16.1->17->18?making Idiotproof?0