Limit of 100 files in folder with ReFS on Shield TV SOLVED
Hi, I have had this problem for a while, and hoped it would pass when next update where comming. But now it has been a bit too long and I need to look for help.

This is my setup:
- MySQL on Windows Server (File Server)
- advanced settings file that works on all systems (Been using it for 5-6 years), Android, Mac, Windows etc.
- Fileserver with SMB share and filesystem ReFS.

Error:
On all of my shield devices when looking in files the folders are now limited to 100 files, and it will not even scan the folders after this.
As i have organized my movies starting with year, i can see exactly where it stops and have counted it to be exactly 100 files in all the folders.

Checks i have made:
Counted the files that is displayed, and setup the same using a windows machine.
On the windows machine i can browse all files just fine. It is only the shield devices that cannot show the files over the 100 limit.

I am not sure where to start looking, and the file system in not very user friendly with a remote for looking trough log-files.
But please guide me to the correct ones and i will do it.
Or other suggestions Smile

I have not found anyone able to help me check if this is a Nvidia Shield issue, since they do not have enough files to reach this limit.
I would appretiate if anyone would be able to test it.

Also, i am a IT guy and understands advanced trouble shooting Smile
Debug log (wiki)
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Here is the log, but i cannot see anything related to the issue in it.
https://paste.ubuntu.com/23712974/

The problem does not include database reads.
If i update database from a windows computer, i can find and play the files from library on the Shield TV.
But if i rescan library from the Shield TV it will not find folders that comes after 100 files alfabetical in one folder.

I would appretiate if anyone could tell me if this is a issue on all the Shield TV boxes at the moment.

Strange thing, that the "series" folder seems to display 101 folders, and it is located on the same server.
Any help with this is much appretiated.
Is there nobody able to help me figure this out?
Any answer, both working and not working on your shield will be very helpful.

Oh, also 3D support stopped working on my Shield(s) about the same time.
Can´t watch 3D movies in 2D mode, not that it is relevant to this issue, but happened at the approximate same time.
So, there was this big update a few days ago.
Both the firmware for the Nvidia Shield TV and then Kodi updated to version 17.
My hopes where that the problem would be fixed with the new versions but no.
Still the same.

Would anybody be able to help me with this case?
I have setup a few windows machines with the same xml-files to be able to update the library with the newest movies, as they cannot be found by the Nvidia Shield TV boxes.

There is one thing new to this case:
All the shares used in Kodi is from the same fileserver, \\fileserver\share\1080p, \\fileserver\share\720p, \\fileserver\share\series, etc.
The "series" folder does not have this problem. The folder have 101 folders and i have counted it several times in Kodi to be sure. All folders is showing.
I have also tried playing around with filters in the problem folders without any luck.
I am not very impressed by everyone that wanted to help out in this case, but I will do my part for a better world.

I converted my fileserver back from ReFS til NTFS filesystem, and now I can browse beyond the 100items limit I had before.
Later it became a common knowledge to not use ReFS as a fileserver, and only on hyper-v volumes etc.
Thanks for the update, even if no one came to your help. I am sorry no one responded with a helpful answer but these things happen to all of us.
Perhaps not many are using a Shield TV (I myself have no clue whatsoever what it is, nor ReFS) or were using it with NTFS anyway so were not experiencing this problem.
I think all righthtinking people in this country are sick and tired of being told that ordinary, decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired.
Even experienced Kodi guys like me have not even heard of very Fringe usage case scenario of ReFS - nor ever seen this 100 file limit problem ever.

We are all mostly using FAT32/ExFat/NTFS or SMB/NFS to feed files into Kodi.

I were not asking for much, just that someone would check if they had the same problem on their shield box.
Nvidia Shield TV box are very much used for Kodi, and probably one of the better media experiences in a small form factor there is.
So asking for someone with one could check if they had the same problem.

Understanding ReFS is not necessary. It´s only Windows´s newest filesystem (Resillient File System) that is self healing and removes the need to run checkdisk on it.
As my fileserver are growing to sizes over 10TB it could take a while to run checkdisk, and when moving to Server 2012/16 migrating to ReFS seemed to be a good choice.

As I did not use Kodi much that period I did not connect the two problems.
Most of the libraries had just around 100 folders and therefore it seemed like it was the scanning that was not working.
IT guys could get curious to try ReFS, but hopefully with this post they would know what was the problem.
My best guess is that Linux have problems with ReFS SMB´s.
From SSH you would be able to browse all folders, but within php code there where problems that did not make sense.

Anyways, moving to NTFS again solved more than one problem, and I hope that more will emerge soon.
So Windows has finally implementing a Journaled file system structure Linux / OSX has had for years now.
You can tell I'm right out of the current loop regarding Windows.

Suggestion - change the Title of the thread to include the words - ReFS - that might generate more Eyeballs. Or simply ask over in the Windows Kodi Subforum of any issues with ReFS and Kodi if not done so already.

Thanks for the suggestion.
I have added ReFS in the title as it was not a Nvidia firmware problem after all.
Interesting...I just started having a nearly identical issue. I also have a similar setup (Win Server 2012 R2, SMB share from ReFS, shared mysql db library, running for about 1.5yrs like this). Just this week after I ran some Windows Updates on my server my Android based devices (firetv, firetv stick) stopped seeing any files after a certain amount when using the file browser (my count happens to be 87, oddly). If items outside of that were listed in my DB and I tried to open it, Kodi would say the file doesn't exist and ask to remove it from the library. My Windows devices (desktops/htpc/laptop) still load/list everything fine.

Moving some folders out of the directory that were previously included allowed more folders after the original 87 to appear. I just got a replacement S7 last week, so I decided to install a fresh copy of Kodi on it and not connect it to the shared mysql db. Browsing into the share stops at the exact same folder.

I booted up an Android virtual device to test out different android and Kodi versions (marshmallow and nougat, jarvis, krypton, and latest dev build), and so far they all have the same issue, so it seems unrelated to the specific android/kodi build.

One thing I did find odd is using ES File Explorer and browsing to the share lists all folders and files correctly. I was even able to have ESFE play a video through Kodi that Kodi could not see

Your ReFS finding is definitely interesting. Before I try and transfer all my data to convert the storage to NTFS I am going to try different Windows (client and server) installs on my server to see if it has any effect.
Not completely sure, but I think shares which are formatted as ReFS may use samba v3 and I don't think we are compatible with samba v3 yet. Not a lot of information out there from a quick Google however I see Apple OS-X has had issues working with ReFS shares while there's been no issues with NTFS. The majority of the people on this forum are likely to be using a Linux based NAS (self-built or from the likes of qnap) or a normal Windows install (Vista, 7, 8 or 10) and not one of the server editions, thus you're not likely to much help if it's a specific ReFS issue.
I can confirm the same issue on my end ever since ~v.16.x
I too am using Linux clients (OpenELEC / LibreELEC) on both Intel and Pi hardware.
I too am using ReFS on my Windows Server 2016 (previously had same issue on 2012 R2).

I'd like to know if the developers have any intention on looking into updating KODI's libraries to include support for the new file system or not, before I convert 12+ TB of existing storage.

I also will work on some redirections and will post here if anything succeeds.

ALSO - CAN THE ORIGINAL POSTER REMOVE THE NVIDIA SHIELD REFERENCE IN THE TITLE? THIS MIGHT GET MORE FOLKS TO SEE THIS, SINCE THE ISSUE HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE NVIDIA SHIELD.
Please note my statement about not using ReFS fileserver.
It should only be used for hyper-v volumes and such.
There is more problems with running ReFS than this problem and more will emerge later.

Even though I think the issue should be fixed as I can browse the disk with the OS but not kodi app I do not think it is wise to use ReFS.

It is fun to try out new systems and functions. But sometimes we should just go back Smile
I converted my 12,5TB last week and now I am very happy owner of one well working kodi solution again.

By the way, I also had the problems both with 2012 and 16.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Limit of 100 files in folder with ReFS on Shield TV SOLVED0