OpenElec 6 / RPi3: analog audio barely audible
Question 
I've been running OpenElec 6.0.3 on my RPi3 B and it's working like a dream. Except for one thing: analog audio.

Audio via HDMI is perfect: clear, as loud as you want, leaving nothing to be desired. But on the analog jack it's terrible. If I crank my amplifier up to maximum (which in all other cases means it's now loud enough to kill a cow at a hundred paces) I can just barely make out the sound in the background noise.

The amp isn't to blame; even a dynamic mike connected to the same input as the Pi is now on is louder.

I've tried various settings (Settings -> System -> Audio Output - Audio Output Device). When I select 'Pi: HDMI' or 'ALSA: default' I get no analog audio at all (just background noise when I crank up the amp to eleven). Selecting 'Pi: analogue' gives me the above (barely audible analog audio) without sound over the HDMI TV (as expected); selecting 'Pi: HDMI and analogue' gives me the above (barely audible audio) from the analog audio jack and full volume via the HDMI TV.

This is really a problem for me, because the speakers in my HDMI TV are terrible, and I really want to use my stereo system in order to have decent sound quality. Sad What's going on here?

All suggestions and pointers into the right direction would be appreciated!!

// FvW
Obvious first question - is kodi's volume level on 100%? ('+' key on keyboard)
(2017-01-01, 20:40)popcornmix Wrote: Obvious first question - is kodi's volume level on 100%? ('+' key on keyboard)

Obvious answer: yes it is, otherwise this would reflect in the audio over the HDMI interface also being too low. However HDMI audio is 100% fine as I stated in my OP. Smile

But tnx for asking. Big Grin

// FvW
I believe OE 6 has the old analogue audio firmware. Might be worth upgrading to a newer release to see if that helps. I know the latest LE version with Krypton has the updated firmware. I'm not sure about whether or not the recent update to OE 6.95 contains recent firmware.
What input are you using on the stereo?
This might be a stupid question - but, are you sure you have the correct connections for the 4bands on the av analog connector?
Derek
Maybe you have down-mixing enabled in settings?
(2017-01-02, 19:22)popcornmix Wrote: What input are you using on the stereo?

Standard AUX input. Works with everything else. I get a loud hum when I touch the input connectors. Trust me, the amp is not the issue here.

// FvW
(2017-01-03, 00:13)dandnsmith Wrote: This might be a stupid question - but, are you sure you have the correct connections for the 4bands on the av analog connector?

I believe I do. I selected the correct connections according to this diagram. When I touch the corresponding parts (tip and Ring 1) I get a loud hum from the amp.

Also, the very low audio I hear in the background his when I turn the amp up all the way is the correct left and right channel.

// FvW
(2017-01-03, 03:49)doug Wrote: Maybe you have down-mixing enabled in settings?

How would that affect playback of regular stereo MP3 music files?

// FvW
(2017-01-01, 17:31)frankvw Wrote: This is really a problem for me, because the speakers in my HDMI TV are terrible, and I really want to use my stereo system in order to have decent sound quality. Sad What's going on here?

All suggestions and pointers into the right direction would be appreciated!!

// FvW

I solved similar problem in another way, but only for video material, I use analog audio output from my TV.
(2017-01-03, 12:42)frankvw Wrote:
(2017-01-03, 03:49)doug Wrote: Maybe you have down-mixing enabled in settings?

How would that affect playback of regular stereo MP3 music files?

// FvW
Didn't have the old crystal ball fired up so I didn't know it was just stereo MP3s you were playing. My bad.

Telling us what you're playing would have been useful from the start. Follow up questions could now be... Does it happen with video files too? What are your replay gain settings?
I had the same issue for years. Initially on Kodi for OSX and also on Openelec (RPi). HDMI works well, but analogue audio does not.

I tried all kind of different things, but never got it to work. I ended up buying a hifiberry and now all works very well!
Server: Asus Sabertooth Z77 | Intel Core i5 3.4 GHz | 16 GB DDR3 | 128 GB SSD, 82 TB (9 x 6 TB, 7 x 4 TB)
HTPC 1: Raspberry Pi 2 | HTPC 2: Raspberry Pi 2 | HTPC 3: Raspberry Pi
(2017-01-03, 13:12)Sholander Wrote: I solved similar problem in another way, but only for video material, I use analog audio output from my TV.

@frankvw - can you try that? HDMI from Pi to TV and use TV's analog output to stereo?
I would also try:
-plug in known, working headphones and check if volume is low. This will eliminate or identify your cable or amp as a source of the issue.
-then run a recent version of Raspian and play a file. This will identify or eliminate something with Kodi as the issue.
-If sound works with Raspian, then start with a clean build of Kodi.
-If sound doesn't work with Raspian using headphones, then I'd say you have a hardware issue.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
OpenElec 6 / RPi3: analog audio barely audible0